AAC quality setting is ignored

Bug #1432230 reported by t454qq7 on 2015-03-14
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
SoundConverter
Medium
GautierPortet

Bug Description

Hi, there is a problem with the quality setting for AAC: whatever value you set is ignored, and the output file is exactly the same. I am running running SoundConverter 2.1.5 with Gstreamer 0.10.36 on Arch Linux.

Changed in soundconverter:
assignee: nobody → GautierPortet (kassoulet)
GautierPortet (kassoulet) wrote :

Could you please run with "soundconverter --debug" in a console, retry the conversion and paste here the resulting log messages.

I've tried with 2.1.5 on Ubuntu 14.10, Gstreamer 0.10.36, and the conversion went fine, with two very different files for min and max quality :
5.0M test.320kbps.m4a
2.3M test.64kbps.m4a

Changed in soundconverter:
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: New → Incomplete

Here it is:

SoundConverter 2.1.5
** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GstObject)
  using Gstreamer version: 0.10.36
  using 4 thread(s)
  using gio
Queue start: 1 tasks, 4 thread(s).
launching: 'giosrc location="file:///media/Multimedia/01%20-%20Unknown%20Artist%20-%20Track%201.wav" ! typefind name=typefinder ! fakesink'
have_type: audio/x-wav 01 - Unknown Artist - Track 1.wav
Queue done in 0.007s (1 tasks)
found_type 01%20-%20Unknown%20Artist%20-%20Track%201.wav
Queue start: 1 tasks, 4 thread(s).
launching: 'giosrc location="file:///media/Multimedia/01%20-%20Unknown%20Artist%20-%20Track%201.wav" name=src ! decodebin name=decoder ! audiorate tolerance=10000000 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! faac bitrate=320000 ! mp4mux ! giosink location="file:///media/Multimedia/01%20-%20Unknown%20Artist%20-%20Track%201.wav~648307~SC~"'
got file duration: 309
found_tags: 01 - Unknown Artist - Track 1.wav
found_tags: 01 - Unknown Artist - Track 1.wav
/media/Multimedia/01 - Unknown Artist - Track 1.wav~648307~SC~ -> /media/Multimedia/01 - Unknown Artist - Track 1.m4a
Queue done in 5.029s (1 tasks)
Queue start: 1 tasks, 4 thread(s).
launching: 'giosrc location="file:///media/Multimedia/01%20-%20Unknown%20Artist%20-%20Track%201.wav" name=src ! decodebin name=decoder ! audiorate tolerance=10000000 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! faac bitrate=64000 ! mp4mux ! giosink location="file:///media/Multimedia/01%20-%20Unknown%20Artist%20-%20Track%201.wav~873594~SC~"'
found_tags: 01 - Unknown Artist - Track 1.wav
found_tags: 01 - Unknown Artist - Track 1.wav
/media/Multimedia/01 - Unknown Artist - Track 1.wav~873594~SC~ -> /media/Multimedia/01 - Unknown Artist - Track 1.m4a
Queue done in 5.073s (1 tasks)
closing...
soundconverter --debug 11,79s user 0,39s system 28% cpu 43,047 total

The second "Queue start" refers to the same file after having changed the quality from the highest to the lowest level.
I didn't mention that I've alreay tried various types of input file (mp3, ogg, flac, wav) without luck.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers