Photos published to Flickr have the wrong date/time.

Bug #742225 reported by Preston L. Bannister on 2011-03-25
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Shotwell
New
Unknown
shotwell (Ubuntu)
Low
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: shotwell

For example, this picture was taken at 3:16pm PST, but Flickr thinks the photo was taken at 10:16pm.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dreadedhill/5557161777/meta/

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
Package: shotwell 0.7.2-0ubuntu2
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-28.49-generic 2.6.35.11
Uname: Linux 2.6.35-28-generic x86_64
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
Architecture: amd64
Date: Thu Mar 24 20:39:07 2011
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release amd64 (20100429)
ProcEnviron:
 PATH=(custom, user)
 LANG=en_US.utf8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: shotwell

summary: - Photos published to Flickr have the wrong date/time EXIF info.
+ Photos published to Flickr have the wrong date/time.
Jim Nelson (yorba-jim) wrote :

It looks to me that Flickr is using the EXIF Date/Time (original) field instead of the other two (Digitized, Modified). For most cameras, this is the same value.

What time does Shotwell display in its Basic Information pane for this photo? Did you modify it in Shotwell using Adjust Date/Time?

Shotwell shows 3:16PM (the correct time).

I did* not* modify the date/time.

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Jim Nelson <email address hidden> wrote:

> It looks to me that Flickr is using the EXIF Date/Time (original) field
> instead of the other two (Digitized, Modified). For most cameras, this
> is the same value.
>
> What time does Shotwell display in its Basic Information pane for this
> photo? Did you modify it in Shotwell using Adjust Date/Time?
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/742225
>
> Title:
> Photos published to Flickr have the wrong date/time.
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/shotwell/+bug/742225/+subscribe
>

Jim Nelson (yorba-jim) wrote :

One more thing to check.

You'll need to find the file and open a console in that directory. Run this from the console:

$ exiv2 -pa f.jpg | grep DateTime

The question is, do the dates that come up match Flickr's or are they different?

It's possible this is a bug with Flickr.

Jim Nelson (yorba-jim) wrote :

(I forgot to say that you should replace "f.jpg" with the name of your photo file.)

preston@mercury:~/Pictures/2011/03/24$ exiv2 -pa IMG_0841.JPG | grep -i date
Exif.Image.DateTime Ascii 20 2011:03:24
15:16:38
Exif.Photo.DateTimeOriginal Ascii 20 2011:03:24
15:16:38
Exif.Photo.DateTimeDigitized Ascii 20 2011:03:24
15:16:38

Also I tried uploading the photo directly through the Flickr upload web
page. The uploaded photo ended up with the proper date/time.

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Jim Nelson <email address hidden> wrote:

> (I forgot to say that you should replace "f.jpg" with the name of your
> photo file.)
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/742225
>
> Title:
> Photos published to Flickr have the wrong date/time.
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/shotwell/+bug/742225/+subscribe
>

Lucas Beeler (lucas-yorba) wrote :

Hi Preston,

Could you attach to this bug report a copy of your original photo -- just as it came from your camera's memory card? I can't use the JPEG you uploaded to Flickr because Flickr does server-side post-processing of photos after you upload them. This means that the photo available on Flickr doesn't necessarily have the same EXIF segment as the original that came off of your camera.

Regards,
Lucas

Done.

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 4:26 PM, Lucas Beeler <email address hidden>wrote:

> Hi Preston,
>
> Could you attach to this bug report a copy of your original photo --
> just as it came from your camera's memory card? I can't use the JPEG you
> uploaded to Flickr because Flickr does server-side post-processing of
> photos after you upload them. This means that the photo available on
> Flickr doesn't necessarily have the same EXIF segment as the original
> that came off of your camera.
>
> Regards,
> Lucas
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/742225
>
> Title:
> Photos published to Flickr have the wrong date/time.
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/shotwell/+bug/742225/+subscribe
>

Adam Dingle (adam-yorba) wrote :

Ticketed upstream at http://trac.yorba.org/ticket/3426 .

Changed in shotwell:
status: Unknown → New
Shaswat Nimesh (shaswatnimesh) wrote :

It depends on the timezone too, So kindly Check your time zone once !.

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 10:51 PM, Bug Watch Updater <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> ** Changed in: shotwell
> Status: Unknown => New
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to
> Shotwell.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/742225
>
> Title:
> Photos published to Flickr have the wrong date/time.
>
> Status in Shotwell:
> New
> Status in “shotwell” package in Ubuntu:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: shotwell
>
> For example, this picture was taken at 3:16pm PST, but Flickr thinks the
> photo was taken at 10:16pm.
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/dreadedhill/5557161777/meta/
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
> Package: shotwell 0.7.2-0ubuntu2
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-28.49-generic 2.6.35.11
> Uname: Linux 2.6.35-28-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Thu Mar 24 20:39:07 2011
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release amd64
> (20100429)
> ProcEnviron:
> PATH=(custom, user)
> LANG=en_US.utf8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: shotwell
>

--
Shaswat Nimesh

I do not understand the last comment. I did notice that the error seems to correspond to the timezone offset.

The timezone on my laptop and on my camera is properly set to PST.

Changed in shotwell (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Low
status: New → Triaged
Joseph Bylund (joseph-bylund) wrote :

@ Preston, any chance you can try this again with the current version of Shotwell, I attempted to replicate this but it seemed to work properly for me (upload showed 3:16pm, Eastern, but I'm in the Eastern timezone).

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.