RedNotebook - A Desktop Journal

PDF export is broken in RN1.5

Reported by Paddy on 2012-07-30
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
RedNotebook
Medium
Jendrik Seipp

Bug Description

I am using RN1.5, Windows XP & Adobe Reader X. The PDF export feature seems to be completely broken as:

- Export all days -> generates no PDF file at all
- Export currently visible day -> generates a PDF file but appears to be broken. Adobe Reader is unable to open the file
- Export days in the selected time range -> generates no PDF file at all

Thanks for reporting this. Is there any helpful error message in the
logfile?

Paddy (patrick-kudos) wrote :

Hi Jendrik,

I think this would be the relevant bit:

2012-07-30 10:06:35,684 INFO Exporting to PDF
2012-07-30 10:06:35,700 DEBUG Selected Categories for Export: ['Change', 'Domain', 'Incident', 'Infrastructure', 'Organization', 'Person', 'Technology', 'Vendor']
2012-07-30 10:06:35,746 DEBUG add_mathjax: True
2012-07-30 10:06:37,887 INFO Loading URL...
2012-07-30 10:06:37,887 ERROR Error loading file:///
2012-07-30 10:06:37,887 INFO Loading done
2012-07-30 10:07:19,904 INFO Loading done
2012-07-30 10:49:37,717 DEBUG add_mathjax: False

Jendrik Seipp (jendrikseipp) wrote :

I can confirm this. The PDF that's generated can not be opened. This will hopefully be fixed once I use new webkit libraries for version 1.6.

Changed in rednotebook:
status: New → Confirmed
Jendrik Seipp (jendrikseipp) wrote :

PDF export works for me using the new beta https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bpghpwx7r5ee7v1/wMSMY_hcnu/rednotebook-1.6.5-beta1.exe
Could you please check if it still fails? If it does, try creating a new journal and only add some example text "ho ho ho" for one day, export it to PDF and see if that works.

Jendrik Seipp (jendrikseipp) wrote :

Quoting Jendrik Seipp <email address hidden>:

> This newer beta fixes a svg problem:
> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4780737/rednotebook-1.6.5-beta2.exe

Hi Jendrik,

I can confirm that with this beta version:

* old journal -> export all days does not work (corrupt file), export
one day is OK
* new journal -> export all days works!

Regards,

--
Patrick Van der Veken
KUDOS BVBA - UNIX/Oracle/Web Consultancy
http://www.kudos.be - http://www.baanboard.com
E-mail: <email address hidden> - Tel: +32.477.63.52.55

Jendrik Seipp (jendrikseipp) wrote :

Awesome, thanks for your help!

Changed in rednotebook:
status: Confirmed → Fix Released
importance: Undecided → Medium
assignee: nobody → Jendrik Seipp (jendrikseipp)
Paddy (patrick-kudos) wrote :

Quoting Jendrik Seipp <email address hidden>:

> Awesome, thanks for your help!
>
>
> ** Changed in: rednotebook
> Status: Confirmed => Fix Released
>
> ** Changed in: rednotebook
> Importance: Undecided => Medium
>
> ** Changed in: rednotebook
> Assignee: (unassigned) => Jendrik Seipp (jendrikseipp)
>

Hi Jendrik,

Does that mean that "current" journals are now considered "unusable"?

Regards,

--
Patrick Van der Veken
KUDOS BVBA - UNIX/Oracle/Web Consultancy
http://www.kudos.be - http://www.baanboard.com
E-mail: <email address hidden> - Tel: +32.477.63.52.55

Jendrik Seipp (jendrikseipp) wrote :

Ah, now I see what you meant: The PDF export still fails if you export your complete old journal. New and old journals don't differ in any way, just in their content. To fix this we have to find out which content makes the export fail.

Do you see anything in your journal that you suspect could be the reason for the failure? Can you try to export all days, then repeatedly less days (smaller date range) until you find the day and its content that makes the export fail? Without this information I don't think we can fix this bug...

Changed in rednotebook:
status: Fix Released → Incomplete
Paddy (patrick-kudos) wrote :

After some experimenting I found the culprit in my journal. One pages the unicode character F0E8 appeared. After removing it, the export works fine both for the single days and all days.

Jendrik Seipp (jendrikseipp) wrote :

I just checked: Even with the unicode F0E8 character exporting to PDF works on Linux. Will have to see what goes wrong on Windows.

Changed in rednotebook:
status: Incomplete → In Progress
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Bug attachments