Exception while displaying tooltip for thumbnail from removed device

Bug #1906272 reported by Marc Sitkin on 2020-11-30
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Rapid Photo Downloader
Medium
Damon Lynch

Bug Description

After ejecting first SD card and inserting a new one, screen shows photos form first card before second card images, Kicked out a bug report, which I've saved and attached.

Running Manjaro Linix 20.2, XFCE DE

Related branches

Marc Sitkin (marcsitkin) wrote :
Damon Lynch (dlynch3) wrote :

Photos form first card before second card images is not a bug. See the program preferences for how to handle the display of previously completed downloads:

https://damonlynch.net/rapid/documentation/#miscellaneousnpreferences

The other aspect of your report is a bug, however. Regarding the removed device, did you eject (unmount) it using the desktop's device removal function, or did you remove it without bothering to eject it first? It's unclear from the log file.

summary: - Error message on inserting a difference sd card. Screen shows downloads
- from previous card
+ Exception while displaying tooltip for thumbnail from removed device
Changed in rapid:
milestone: none → 0.9.25
assignee: nobody → Damon Lynch (dlynch3)
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: New → Confirmed

Hi Damon-

Thanks, I'll change that preference.

I ejected the first card via my file manager before inserting and mounting
the second.

I've recently switched from Gnome DE to XFCE DE, and noticed that RPD no
longer shows my memory card unless I open it in the file manager first.
Any idea how to change that behavior?

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 12:25 PM Damon Lynch <email address hidden>
wrote:

> Photos form first card before second card images is not a bug. See the
> program preferences for how to handle the display of previously
> completed downloads:
>
> https://damonlynch.net/rapid/documentation/#miscellaneousnpreferences
>
> The other aspect of your report is a bug, however. Regarding the removed
> device, did you eject (unmount) it using the desktop's device removal
> function, or did you remove it without bothering to eject it first? It's
> unclear from the log file.
>
> ** Summary changed:
>
> - Error message on inserting a difference sd card. Screen shows downloads
> from previous card
> + Exception while displaying tooltip for thumbnail from removed device
>
> ** Changed in: rapid
> Milestone: None => 0.9.25
>
> ** Changed in: rapid
> Assignee: (unassigned) => Damon Lynch (dlynch3)
>
> ** Changed in: rapid
> Importance: Undecided => Medium
>
> ** Changed in: rapid
> Status: New => Confirmed
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1906272
>
> Title:
> Exception while displaying tooltip for thumbnail from removed device
>
> Status in Rapid Photo Downloader:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> After ejecting first SD card and inserting a new one, screen shows
> photos form first card before second card images, Kicked out a bug
> report, which I've saved and attached.
>
> Running Manjaro Linix 20.2, XFCE DE
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/rapid/+bug/1906272/+subscriptions
>

--
Marc Sitkin
2020 Mexico Gallery <https://marcsitkin.smugmug.com/Mexico/Mexico-2020>
Marc Sitkin Photography Web Site <http://marcsitkin.smugmug.com>
Instagram <https://www.instagram.com/marcsitkin/>

Damon Lynch (dlynch3) wrote :

It's difficult to say what caused the change in auto mount behavior with your move to XFCE from Gnome. As I understand it, XFCE is not auto mounting the device, and therefore Rapid Photo Downloader does not respond to the insertion. When GIO is running, Rapid Photo Downloader is designed to wait for GIO to automount the inserted device, because that is what GIO is designed to do. This behavior of Rapid Photo Downloader is actually critically important when GIO is running under Gnome. If it does not do this, things break.

As far as I know, while XFCE uses GIO under the hood, it does not develop GIO. Gnome develops GIO. GIO might have changed how it works, and XFCE has yet to catch up. Or maybe XFCE decided not to automount inserted devices anymore. I don't know, which makes it difficult to distinguish between genuine changes in desktop behavior, or actual bugs in GIO / XFCE.

Hi Damon-

Thanks for the info. I found a panel in the setting area of XFCE called
"removable drives and media". I checked " Mount removable drives when
hot-plugged" and " Mount removable media when inserted". This allowed me to
see the drive in RPD. In RPD, I then switched off "Scan only specific
folders on devices" which allowed me to add the device to the "Remembered
Devices" area.

The SD card now shows up on launching RPD as expected.
Still working on getting RPD to launch when a card is inserted. That's a
challenge for another day!

Stay well.

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 11:55 PM Damon Lynch <email address hidden>
wrote:

> It's difficult to say what caused the change in auto mount behavior with
> your move to XFCE from Gnome. As I understand it, XFCE is not auto
> mounting the device, and therefore Rapid Photo Downloader does not
> respond to the insertion. When GIO is running, Rapid Photo Downloader is
> designed to wait for GIO to automount the inserted device, because that
> is what GIO is designed to do. This behavior of Rapid Photo Downloader
> is actually critically important when GIO is running under Gnome. If it
> does not do this, things break.
>
> As far as I know, while XFCE uses GIO under the hood, it does not
> develop GIO. Gnome develops GIO. GIO might have changed how it works,
> and XFCE has yet to catch up. Or maybe XFCE decided not to automount
> inserted devices anymore. I don't know, which makes it difficult to
> distinguish between genuine changes in desktop behavior, or actual bugs
> in GIO / XFCE.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1906272
>
> Title:
> Exception while displaying tooltip for thumbnail from removed device
>
> Status in Rapid Photo Downloader:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> After ejecting first SD card and inserting a new one, screen shows
> photos form first card before second card images, Kicked out a bug
> report, which I've saved and attached.
>
> Running Manjaro Linix 20.2, XFCE DE
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/rapid/+bug/1906272/+subscriptions
>

--
Marc Sitkin
2020 Mexico Gallery <https://marcsitkin.smugmug.com/Mexico/Mexico-2020>
Marc Sitkin Photography Web Site <http://marcsitkin.smugmug.com>
Instagram <https://www.instagram.com/marcsitkin/>

Damon Lynch (dlynch3) on 2020-12-03
Changed in rapid:
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed
Damon Lynch (dlynch3) on 2020-12-19
Changed in rapid:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers