unreadable body mail

Bug #513750 reported by laura dominguez on 2010-01-28
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Power Email

Bug Description

when I download mails,I can not read it correctly because the body mails is unreadable but I do not get some error from server.

I have sent his mail (some sentences in Spanish)

Estimado Mss Karine Lesbrouffe,
Gracias por su interés en nuestra empresa. En este mail le adjuntamos un PDF con los detalles de su presupuesto. Los productos por los que se intersó son:

and I have received some code unreadable:


It looks like this mail has some image or some binary widget built into it say a video.
This has no attachment but an embedded image or something.

Can you confirm???

laura dominguez (ldominguez) wrote :

Yes it has an attachment but it has not images, nevertheless the same happends if mail has only a word without anything more.

Jan Verlaan (jan-verlaan) wrote :

Could it perhaps be a email PGP SIGNATURE?
These look the same.

laura dominguez (ldominguez) wrote :

I don´t think so, it is not a PGP signature mail.
I have not idea what is is happenning.

Nhomar - Vauxoo (nhomar) wrote :

I confirm it happend in some cases....

Sharoon can i send you a private email with the body that is giving me problems????


In my case is an message:

UnicodeError: unable de to convert "BODY OF MESSAGE" is shown.

Nhomar - Vauxoo (nhomar) wrote :

I proof n a python shell the complet string shown in traceback and it looks like the encoding of the email is wrong.... the accents are shown like a square:
 The text of a key word is:

Nhomar Hern\xe1ndez

In a python console i tried:

>>A = "Nhomar Hern\xe1ndez"
>>print A
Nhomar Hern�ndez

I tried this:

>>A = u"Nhomar Hern\xe1ndez"
>>print A
Nhomar Hernández

I hope it helps!!!!



It would be great if you can send me privately the mail that causes this behaviour.

we actually need some refactoring in the code to ensure that the mails are properly encoded/decoded everywhere. At the moment, the encoding is done in some places but not everywhere.

I do not want to break the main trunk for this, so I will create a separate branch with some encoding changes and it would be easy if you guys can test it for me. As a matter of fact I never get even occassional mails with an accented character.


To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers