Reports give error: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, tuple found

Bug #956798 reported by Taco Vree
This bug affects 11 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Fix Committed
OpenERP's Framework R&D

Bug Description

Running 6.1.1 on Win 7, local installation with Dutch version (English language)

When I try to generate any report from the Accounting/report menu (for example a legal report) with default or any other settings I get the following error:

Client Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenERP 6.1-1\server\openerp\addons\web\common\", line 260, in dispatch
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenERP 6.1-1\server\openerp\addons\web\controllers\", line 1784, in index
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenERP 6.1-1\server\openerp\addons\web\common\openerplib\", line 117, in proxy
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenERP 6.1-1\server\openerp\addons\web\common\", line 596, in send
TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, tuple found

Also happens in a demo company.

Operating System Release : post2008Server
Operating System Version : 6.1.7601
Operating System Architecture : 32bit

As I cannot imagine this happens to all users yet it happens to several (demo & live) databases, I have to assume something on my environment is conflicting with this function.

Tags: maintenance
Revision history for this message
Taco Vree (tavconsultancy) wrote :

I further analysed this issue and noticed that it is related to PostgreSQL version 9.1. With the version part of the kit, 8.3 there is no issue.

Revision history for this message
JarelleAdelline (joana-fernandez) wrote :

Need to resolve this issue for we are going to present OpenERP v6.1 to one of our clients here in Dubai and he needs the reports to be shown in the demo. We had a clean installation of our OpenERP v6.1 with Postgresql 9.1 as our database. But all the reports cannot be uploaded due to this error, "TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, tuple found"

Amit Parik (amit-parik)
affects: openobject-addons → openobject-server
Revision history for this message
Amit Bhavsar (Open ERP) (amb-openerp) wrote :

Hello Folks,

I have checked your Issue, But I did not check with the Postgresql 9.1 and I can't reproduce it.
Also, this Issue are same like lp:974977. which are reproduce at my end. that's why I duplicate of this one. and I request to my framework team, during solving time to test this Issue in both version of Postgresql (8.3 and 9.1).


Changed in openobject-server:
status: New → Confirmed
importance: Undecided → Low
importance: Low → Medium
assignee: nobody → OpenERP's Framework R&D (openerp-dev-framework)
Jigar A. (ifixthat)
Changed in openobject-server:
status: Confirmed → In Progress
Revision history for this message
Jigar A. (ifixthat) wrote :

    We have traced the issue and found issue at encoding textual representation and have fixed the problem on in branch lp:~openerp-dev/openobject-server/trunk-bug-956798-jam @ Revision No : 4150. And Their is not significant effect on this because of the installed database server version.
The Branch with fix has been proposed for merging with trunk server and will be reviewed soon.
Thank you for your contribution.

Changed in openobject-server:
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
tags: added: maintenance
Revision history for this message
Cristian Salamea (ovnicraft) wrote :

Hello R&D team can you set a series.

Thanks !

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.