[reports] Date format should not rely on the locale of the OpenERP server (e.g for month names)

Bug #729690 reported by Christophe Hanon (www.adins.be) on 2011-03-05
8
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Odoo Server (MOVED TO GITHUB)
Fix Committed
Low
OpenERP's Framework R&D

Bug Description

I changed the en_US default date to get the Month name : %B %d, %Y in
order to get February 13, 2011. I

First surprise: the month name seems to be taken from the locale of the
server - On ubuntu I realized this because my desktop was in French: so
I got février 2011 !

The same of course when you change the french date format you get the month name in english

I already documented this in https://bugs.launchpad.net/openobject-addons/+bug/718040

And they fixed the 'easy' part of it. It remains that the server locale is used and we cannot print all date formats correctly. :

This was a comment from xrg

>>Sadly, this is a library issue, a bit hard to workaround:
>>the underlying glibc and python libraries that format these strings do NOT
>>take a language argument, but instead rely on the per-process environment
>>setting of LC_TIME or LANGUAGE.

>>This means that we might change the global setting of date format for all the
>> OpenERP server, but cannot specify per-report or per-client locale for dates.
>> So changing it there cannot be enough :(

But anyway this need to be cleaned. Thanks!

Related branches

lp:~openerp-dev/openobject-server/trunk-bug-729690-nch
On hold for merging into lp:openobject-server
Vo Minh Thu: Pending requested 2011-10-10
Olivier Dony (Odoo): Pending requested 2011-10-10

The provided fixed unlock the interface. But the issue of the locale for the textual name of the month remains. So I opened https://bugs.launchpad.net/openobject-addons/+bug/729690

affects: openobject-addons → openobject-server
Changed in openobject-server:
assignee: nobody → OpenERP's Framework R&D (openerp-dev-framework)
status: New → Triaged
summary: - Date format should not rely on the locale of the OpenERP server
+ [reports] Date format should not rely on the locale of the OpenERP
+ server (e.g for month names)
Changed in openobject-server:
importance: Undecided → Low
status: Triaged → Confirmed
Changed in openobject-server:
status: Confirmed → In Progress
Naresh(OpenERP) (nch-openerp) wrote :

Hello,

Thanks for reporting !

It has been improved at lp:~openerp-dev/openobject-server/trunk-bug-729690-nch and will be merged soon to the trunk server.

Thanks,

Changed in openobject-server:
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers