[6.0.3]Initial Balance numbers do not make sense and are added to account balances

Bug #931022 reported by jlinkels on 2012-02-12
8
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Odoo Addons (MOVED TO GITHUB)
Fix Committed
Low
OpenERP Publisher's Warranty Team

Bug Description

Server version 6.0.3

I am confused as of the meaning of "Initial Balance" in the General Ledger.

I have used the Demo database. This database has been created in 2011 and has never been used in 2012. The only fiscal year is 2011

In this database there are a number of sales recorded and some credits recorded. When I open the General Ledger, I see this for the A/R:
400000 Clients:
Debit 2748,-
Credit 6906,-
Balance -4158,-

Apparently this is the sum of all debits and credits entered on this account. This seems reasonable.

Now I open the General Ledger again, but I include "Initial Balance" Now the A/R reads:
400000 Clients:
Debit 5496,-
Credit 13812,-
Balance -8316,-

When I look at the entries, I see one entry at the top:
* Initial Balance:
Debit 2748,-
Credit 6906,-
Balance -4158,-

Which is of course exactly the sum of all transactions on this account.

This seems hopelessly incorrect. The balance of this account at the start of 2011 was zero. Now at the end of 2011 suddenly all transactions are being added to the Initial Balance. This makes the balance of the account exactly the double amount.

I would not care about this too much, but I am having a hard in my real accounting system where something goes wrong with closing 2011 and opening 2012. When I try to look at the initial balance in 2012 (which should be the closing balance of 2011 in normal accounting systems) the initial balance doesn't make any sense. But as it seems there is no sense at all even when no year closure is made.

jlinkels

Related branches

Hello Jlinkels,

I have checked your issue with trunk and stable(6.0.3) at my end it work fine. I have checked with following revision.
Trunk :
----------
server - 4051
gtk - 2047
addons - 6566

stable(6.0.3)
-------------------
server - 3583
gtk - 1936
addons -5055

Would you please check again and elaborate more with related steps to reproduce this issue.

Thanks and waiting for your reply.

Changed in openobject-addons:
status: New → Incomplete
jlinkels (jlinkels) wrote :

I use server version 6.0.3-0. This is the stable version, I don't know what build that is. It can be found here:
http://www.openerp.com/download/stable/deb/openerp-server-6.0.3-0_all.deb

The steps to reproduce:
Create Demo database
Select only accounting module
Generic charts of accounts
Extended user interface
All other choices default.

Go to accounting -> Reporting -> Legal Reports -> Accounting Reports -> General Ledger
Ask to print the G/L WITH opening balance.
Opening balance is 0.00 on all accounts

Now go to accounting -> Customers -> Customer Invoices
Create new invoice for product EMPL for an amount of EUR 200,-
Including taxes the amount is EUR 230,-

Go to accounting -> Reporting -> Legal Reports -> Accounting Reports -> General Ledger
Ask to print the G/L withOUT opening balance. (leave the checkbox unchecked
The balance of DEBTORS is EUR 230,-
That is correct

Go to accounting -> Reporting -> Legal Reports -> Accounting Reports -> General Ledger
Ask to print the G/L WITH opening balance. (leave the checkbox unchecked
The balance of DEBTORS is EUR 460,-
That is NOT correct

Refer to both attachments.

jlinkels

Changed in openobject-addons:
assignee: nobody → OpenERP Publisher's Warranty Team (openerp-opw)
importance: Undecided → Low
status: Incomplete → Confirmed

Hello,

In Trunk General Ledger report show the correct entries but In stable 6.0.3 it's show the wrong so I am assigning to OPW Team.

Thanks.

summary: - Initial Balance numbers do not make sense and are added to account
- balances
+ [6.0.3]Initial Balance numbers do not make sense and are added to
+ account balances
Changed in openobject-addons:
status: Confirmed → In Progress

This issue has been fixed in,
Branch: lp:~openerp-dev/openobject-addons/6.0-opw-575542-rgo,
Rev-id: <email address hidden>,
Rev-no: 5252,

It will soon be reviewed and merged with main stable branch.

Thanks.

Changed in openobject-addons:
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers