[pootle] locale encoding errors

Bug #744596 reported by matysek on 2011-03-28
10
This bug affects 2 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
OpenLP
Medium
Raoul Snyman

Bug Description

When working on openlp czech translation it is possible to save translated string containing localized characters, however instead some localized characters the char '?' (question mark) is displayed. I'm not able to edit already entered text without the need to correct all '?' with proper character.

Example - correct text
----------------------------------
Tato aplikace je šířena v naději, že bude užitečná, avšak BEZ JAKÉKOLI ZÁRUKY; neposkytují se ani odvozené záruky PRODEJNOSTI anebo VHODNOSTI PRO URČITÝ ÚČEL. Další podrobnosti viz níže.

Example - bad text
-----------------------------
Tato aplikace je ší?ena v nad?ji, že bude užite?ná, avšak BEZ JAKÉKOLI ZÁRUKY; neposkytují se ani odvozené záruky PRODEJNOSTI anebo VHODNOSTI PRO UR?ITÝ Ú?EL. Další podrobnosti viz níže.

If necessary I would love to assist in resolving this bug.

I'm not sure if it is an issue of pootle or of my browser (chrome)

matysek (mzibricky) wrote :

To verify this issue it should be enough to just look at these links:

http://pootle.projecthq.biz/cs/openlp/cs.ts/translate/
http://pootle.projecthq.biz/ru/openlp/ru.ts/translate/

This issue makes the pootle unusable for non latin languages.

Maybe the following link could be helpful.

http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle/locales

Changed in openlp:
status: New → Confirmed
matysek (mzibricky) wrote :

Could be the following link helpful?

http://<email address hidden>/msg01172.html

Changed in openlp:
importance: Undecided → Medium
summary: - pootle locale encoding errors
+ [pootle] locale encoding errors
matysek (mzibricky) wrote :

A few days ago I updated only several strings of czech translation using pootle and since the last merge of translations to trunk, czech file cs.ts is now completely broken in trunk.

Many already translated strings now contain '?' (question mark)

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~openlp-core/openlp/trunk/revision/1648#resources/i18n/cs.ts

matysek (mzibricky) wrote :

What database backend does pootle use? Sqlite or Mysql?

If mysql, is mysql set up properly for utf8 encoding?

Andreas Preikschat (googol) wrote :

Hello,

I found this: http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/7odihThnIwwgDHTrHR32

Maybe (as matysek suggested) it is the db encoding?!

Cheers

matysek (mzibricky) wrote :

It is now working correctly.

Thanks for the fix.

Changed in openlp:
status: Confirmed → Fix Released
milestone: none → 1.9.7
assignee: nobody → Raoul Snyman (raoul-snyman)

I had this exact problem on Debian with Chinese characters. They were all showing up as question marks (????) when saving online through pootle or uploading a file that was translated offline. I ran the command listed here: http://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/view/1575/convert-all-mysql-tables-and-fields-to-utf8 and it worked. If your mysql has a root password (which it hopefully does) you can alter it like this:

mysql --database=pootle -B -N -e "SHOW TABLES" -pyour_password | awk '{print "ALTER TABLE", $1, "CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;"}' | mysql --database=pootle -pyour_password

Then log out and back in and delete that line from your ~/.bash_history file.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers