What is the css doing?

Reported by chovynz on 2010-12-15
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
openclipart
High
chovynz

Bug Description

I really don't know what the css is doing.
I've started a journey of finding out.

I'll use this bug report as a place to put the stuff relevant to the css journey.
My first task in this goal is to find out what widgets have css IN them.
Second task is to define what css we want applied naturally without forcing any styles.
Third is to make custom styles for the parts that need custom (or unique) styling. e.g. the main nav menu list, without encroaching on the clipart lists or the paragraph lists.
Hopefully we can unravel some of the spaghetti.

Things to take into consideration:
Clipart on main page is sorted into lists.
Paragraphs should be used, properly and from the first, when writing text on the site.
Above all, text should be easy to read. If it's not easy to read, it's not fixed.
Clipart sorted into lists might not be the best way of displaying the clipart. Is there other solutions?

chovynz (chovynz) on 2010-12-15
Changed in openclipart:
assignee: nobody → chovynz (chovynz)
importance: Undecided → High
milestone: none → 2.9
chovynz (chovynz) wrote :

All these have css inside them.

Widgets 18 news-page
19 sidebar-r,
20 footer,
37 detail,
43 news,
61 volunteer,
67 help
73 about-page-wow
85 users
103 user-detail
133 register
139 signin
157 upload
241 packages
249 reset password
250 secure
287 multiupload
319 uploadremix
343 fcrc
373 upload-disclaimer
415 edit-my-profile
427 spring2010
433 summer2010
439 sports2010
445 fall2010
451 email-user
457 halloween2010
463 status-updates
469 community-help
475 test-edit-profile
505 testing
517 test-user-detail
523 manage-profile
535 manage-link
565 test-news-source
571 thanksgiving2010
589 holidays2010
595 yellow-bar
601 community_help_bugs
619 librarians
673 policies
679 dmca
685 detail_set_test
691 collections
697 colelction-new
703 collection-add
709 image-add-success
715 collection-list
739 collection-update
769 user-detail-collection

rejon (rejon) wrote :

this isn't specific enough. just have to clean up as we can.

Changed in openclipart:
status: New → Invalid

It's not invalid, and yes I know it's not specific enough.
Don't rush please. This is a complicated issue and will take time to sort
out. Reopening it.

--
Cheers
Chovynz

Changed in openclipart:
status: Invalid → Incomplete
rejon (rejon) wrote :

ok, file as blueprint then...need bugs to be specific...

jon

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 10:22 PM, chovynz <email address hidden> wrote:

> It's not invalid, and yes I know it's not specific enough.
> Don't rush please. This is a complicated issue and will take time to sort
> out. Reopening it.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chovynz
>
>
> ** Changed in: openclipart
> Status: Invalid => Incomplete
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of
> openclipart.devel, which is subscribed to openclipart.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/690443
>
> Title:
> What is the css doing?
>

--
Jon Phillips
http://rejon.org/
http://fabricatorz.com/
chat/skype: kidproto | irc: rejon
+1.415.830.3884 (sf/global)
+86.187.1003.9974 (china)

+65.8330.5807 (singapore)

chovynz (chovynz) wrote :

It's going to be more specific, but that will take time, when I found out
exactly what I'm dealing with. It's assigned to me, and IS a bug, not a
blueprint. :)
(beats jon away with a smelly cold fish ... :) )

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 7:36 PM, rejon <email address hidden> wrote:

> ok, file as blueprint then...need bugs to be specific...
>
> jon
>
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 10:22 PM, chovynz <email address hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > It's not invalid, and yes I know it's not specific enough.
> > Don't rush please. This is a complicated issue and will take time to sort
> > out. Reopening it.
> >
> > --
> > Cheers
> > Chovynz
> >
> >
> > ** Changed in: openclipart
> > Status: Invalid => Incomplete
> >
> > --
> > You received this bug notification because you are a member of
> > openclipart.devel, which is subscribed to openclipart.
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/690443
> >
> > Title:
> > What is the css doing?
> >
>
>
> --
> Jon Phillips
> http://rejon.org/
> http://fabricatorz.com/
> chat/skype: kidproto | irc: rejon
> +1.415.830.3884 (sf/global)
> +86.187.1003.9974 (china)
>
> +65.8330.5807 (singapore)
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of
> openclipart.devel, which is subscribed to openclipart.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/690443
>
> Title:
> What is the css doing?
>

--
Cheers
Chovynz

rejon (rejon) wrote :

fair enough :)

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 11:02 PM, chovynz <email address hidden> wrote:

> It's going to be more specific, but that will take time, when I found out
> exactly what I'm dealing with. It's assigned to me, and IS a bug, not a
> blueprint. :)
> (beats jon away with a smelly cold fish ... :) )
>
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 7:36 PM, rejon <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> > ok, file as blueprint then...need bugs to be specific...
> >
> > jon
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 10:22 PM, chovynz <email address hidden>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > It's not invalid, and yes I know it's not specific enough.
> > > Don't rush please. This is a complicated issue and will take time to
> sort
> > > out. Reopening it.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Cheers
> > > Chovynz
> > >
> > >
> > > ** Changed in: openclipart
> > > Status: Invalid => Incomplete
> > >
> > > --
> > > You received this bug notification because you are a member of
> > > openclipart.devel, which is subscribed to openclipart.
> > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/690443
> > >
> > > Title:
> > > What is the css doing?
> > >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Jon Phillips
> > http://rejon.org/
> > http://fabricatorz.com/
> > chat/skype: kidproto | irc: rejon
> > +1.415.830.3884 (sf/global)
> > +86.187.1003.9974 (china)
> >
> > +65.8330.5807 (singapore)
> >
> > --
> > You received this bug notification because you are a member of
> > openclipart.devel, which is subscribed to openclipart.
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/690443
> >
> > Title:
> > What is the css doing?
> >
>
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chovynz
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of
> openclipart.devel, which is subscribed to openclipart.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/690443
>
> Title:
> What is the css doing?
>

--
Jon Phillips
http://rejon.org/
http://fabricatorz.com/
chat/skype: kidproto | irc: rejon
+1.415.830.3884 (sf/global)
+86.187.1003.9974 (china)

+65.8330.5807 (singapore)

rejon (rejon) on 2011-01-31
Changed in openclipart:
milestone: 2.9 → 3.0
chovynz (chovynz) wrote :

Done a major overhaul on the css. Will need to re-list the widgets that have css in them. I've consolidated quite a few of them into the 14 "main" widget css field. Can't be bothered listing them right now as it's a tiem consuming job of finding out. Spent 3 whole days on it (usually from 7am until 11pm) just untangling some css. Brief report of what I've done as follows:

# I "fixed" the admin interface padding. The overlapping text was bugging me.
# simplified the sidebox h3 and p, and ul, and il 's so that you should only need to

    * make the widget of class sidebox.
    * Add <h3>title</h3>
    * Add a div class = "wrapper"
    * insert your content here.
    * Close the wrapper div.

# majorly cleaned up the spacings of preview clipart related css.
# simplified and cut out numerous css locations, especially ones that needed to be more global
# found conflicting tag styling. removed or consolidated into "main"widget css field.
# I've de-activated the Activities section for now. I'm sorry Brad - I took some css out because I thought I could apply the sidebox to your activities box, and I didn't realise that the sidebox was hardcoded until too late. Please feel free to re-css the activites box and re-show it. I need to do more testing on freeing up the sidebox before I can do what I stated above. When I've finished freeing up the sidebox, it should mean that you won't have to specific any other side box ever again. We're not there yet, but getting closer.

This bug is not closed yet.

rejon (rejon) wrote :

please close this...its an infinite task. you did good. its stabilized

rejon (rejon) on 2011-04-27
Changed in openclipart:
status: Incomplete → Won't Fix
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers