Compatibility plugin for Netscape 4 (NPAPI) plugins

firefox shows grey box instead of flash player on amd64

Reported by g2bandrew on 2008-07-08
68
This bug affects 8 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
nspluginwrapper
New
Undecided
Unassigned
firefox-3.0 (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: firefox-3.0

When i go on some websites which use flash, the part of the site where the flash content should be is instead replaced with a grey box. From searching around, i havn't found a solution to this problem anywhere but other people seem to have this problem and it seems to relate back to the fact that i have a AMD64 computer. Reinstalling flash is a quick temporary fix but its always the same flash applications that break it and they break it for every other flash application too. Avoiding them or reinstalling the entire operating system isn't really a realistic way of solving this problem so does anybody have some idea of what i could do to fix this?

ProblemType: Bug
Architecture: amd64
Date: Tue Jul 8 01:55:31 2008
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 8.04
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
Package: firefox-3.0 3.0+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.8.04.1
PackageArchitecture: amd64
ProcEnviron:
 PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
 LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: firefox-3.0
Uname: Linux 2.6.24-19-generic x86_64

g2bandrew (simsgenius) wrote :
Robert Mens (robert-0xdeadbeef) wrote :

I've got the same problem actually, the problem is that flash keeps segfaulting, causing the gray box.

If you check dmesg you'll see something like this:

[28262.352742] npviewer.bin[13448]: segfault at 4 rip f6ee1d54 rsp ffc48b40 error 4
[28288.212763] npviewer.bin[13559]: segfault at 4 rip f6e3fd54 rsp ffbb1aa0 error 4

You don't need to reinstall flash, restarting firefox completely (close all instances of the browser) will solve the problem.

It would be great if this problem could be fixed, but I doubt it has anything to do with ubuntu, its more likely that the problem is
in the 64 bit version of the flash plugin.

confiq (confiq) wrote :

I can confirm this. But on another hand there is something to consider
1) Adobe flash is proprietary and closed source, there is almost nothing that ubuntu developers can solve in this case
2) Flash is very common program that it must be in ubuntu.

I can help resolving this by telling that hex address in dmesg is always different
example of my machine:
[108198.220287] npviewer.bin[20154]: segfault at f5b1e030 rip f7912540 rsp ff94461c error 4
[108198.606957] npviewer.bin[20170]: segfault at f5b68030 rip f795c540 rsp ffdc42ac error 4
[109057.044269] npviewer.bin[20369]: segfault at 2c rip f6b2631a rsp ffe9d1c0 error 4
[109212.771425] npviewer.bin[20445]: segfault at 2c rip f6af131a rsp ffda38d0 error 4

If you run #firefox from terminal you'll see lot of errors about npviewer.bin but i can't find critical one :(

xc00lxkidx (xc00lxkidx) wrote :

i am running on a 32 bit machine and i get the same problem. i was forced to reinstall windows on a partition so that i could access some flash sites that i need access to.

xc00lxkidx (xc00lxkidx) wrote :

im running ubuntu 8.04 32 bit and found that removing the flash plugin file from /usr/lib/firefox/plugins solves the issue. try it and let me know if it works for you 64 bit users.

BEST OF LUCK!

Sean McLean (smclean-gmail) wrote :

I also experienced this issue on 64 bit hardy. I'm glad to find a bug on the issue, it's really quite annoying to restart Firefox every few hours.

Earlier in the week, I built my own packages to replace hardy's flashplugin-nonfree and nspluginwrapper, and the issue seems to have gone away. Firefox has been running the entire time without a restart and flash continues to work perfectly. No more segfaults in dmesg. I guess this would indicate the problem is not upstream?

Here's a rough outline of how that's done, for those interested:

apt-get remove flashplugin-nonfree nspluginwrapper
wget http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/projects/nspluginwrapper/files/nspluginwrapper-1.0.0.tar.bz2
tar jxvf nspluginwrapper-1.0.0.tar.bz2
cd nspluginwrapper-1.0.0
# i needed some dev packages to build nspluginwrapper, YMMV
apt-get install xorg-dev libc6-dev-i386 libstdc++6-dev g++-4.2-multilib
./configure
make
make install
# hash -r if you use zsh like me :)
cd ..
wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
tar zxvf install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
cd install_flash_player_9_linux/
nspluginwrapper -i ./libflashplayer.so
nspluginwrapper -v -a -u

Restart firefox at this point and you should be using the new
nspluginwrapper/flash setup

Sean McLean (smclean-gmail) wrote :

Argh, this didn't help, ignore my previous comment. I had firefox running for 3 days without flash crashing, and as soon as I posted the above comment:

[1807330.735710] npviewer.bin[12486]: segfault at f5ac4030 rip f78be540 rsp ff99cb7c error 4

Sorry folks.

Robert Mens (robert-0xdeadbeef) wrote :

I've read that the 1.1.0 version of ndiswrapper restarts the plugin once it crashes and you refresh the page.
Although this doesn't provide a real solution to the problem at least it will prevent having to restart the whole browser which can be annoying if you have a lot of open windows and tabs.

I will try this myself as soon as I have time this weekend.

Celebere (celebere-gmail) wrote :

xc00lxkidx: im running ubuntu 8.04 32 bit and found that removing the flash plugin file from /usr/lib/firefox/plugins solves the issue. try it and let me know if it works for you 64 bit users.

I tried this on 64 bit hardy and it seems to be working. Is the link in that folder not necessary? I try not to remove things without understanding their function.

xc00lxkidx (xc00lxkidx) wrote :

hey guys just letting you know that my previous suggestion is just a temporary fix. im having flash problems again but now atleast certain files load.

Sean McLean (smclean-gmail) wrote :

I've installed nspluginwrapper 1.1 (development branch) and I can confirm that what Mr. Mens says above is true; when the npviewer.bin segfaults occur, the browser does not need to be restarted for flash to continue working. Anyone looking for a quick fix to this annoying behavior should check it out.

Also, it has the ability to play flash outside the browser with the 'npplay' utility, which is pretty slick.

Udibuntu (udigra) wrote :

Hi,

Just installed Hardy 64bit with its native Firefox 3 - flash works only partially, some sites (e.g Southpark Studio's full episodes site) do not work at all - they either grey box me or do not show anything...

Hope this info helps:

udi@udi-laptop:~$ ls -al /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
total 9812
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-10-21 22:26 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 2008-07-02 12:57 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 2008-10-21 22:26 flashplugin-alternative.so -> /etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10017140 2008-10-21 19:28 libflashplayer.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 60 2008-10-21 19:28 npwrapper.libflashplayer.so -> /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
udi@udi-laptop:~$ ls -al /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-10-21 22:28 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 2008-07-02 12:55 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 60 2008-10-21 22:28 npwrapper.libflashplayer.so -> /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
udi@udi-laptop:~$

Sean McLean (smclean-gmail) wrote :

In intrepid, using flashplugin-nonfree the same problem persists for me, despite ubuntu providing nspluginwrapper 1.1.2. Rather than seeing npviewer.bin segfaults, I now see this:

[219368.517973] firefox[26511]: segfault at 7f01fb15e1ae ip 00007f01fc1c4df1 sp 00007fff052e9a30 error 4 in libc-2.8.90.so[7f01fc18f000+169000]

I was surprised to see this since when I built my own nspluginwrapper 1.1.2 on hardy, nspluginwrapper was able to continue operation even after after flash caused a segfault (in npviewer.bin).

I can confirm what Sean McLean just said, I built my own nspluginwrapper on hardy using 1.1.1 and it also managed to restart it, this is not the case in intrepid ibex with the 1.1.2 package.

Alexander Sack (asac) wrote :

could you try to build 1.1.1 on intrepid and see if this goes away there?

mercutio22 (macabro22) wrote :

Hi, I am on intrepid Ibex and I can constantly but not often reproduce a crash in npviewer.bin using this site: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10401930

Check the attached text file

Sean McLean (smclean-gmail) wrote :

>Alexander Sack,

OK, I built nspluginwrapper 1.1.2 vanilla from the upstream tarball, and I've been running firefox with it since this morning.. about 5 hours now.. so far, no flash misbehavior. I'll report if I eventually encounter the bug in this setup, but seems like this solves the problem in intrepid the same as it did in hardy.

Simon Morgan (sjmorgan) wrote :

Sean, is this still the case? If so, can you please provide details of how you built and installed it so that others can try it themselves?

Sean McLean (smclean-gmail) wrote :

>Simon Morgan,

Yes, I never did have a failure with the vanilla nspluginwrapper. I used it for a couple days before I decided I'd call it a success.

Since then, I've been making builds of the ubuntu nspluginwrapper deb with various patches removed in an attempt to determine exactly what is causing it to behave differently than the vanilla package, without success.. I'm still fighting it.

If you look at my directions in the previous comment:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+bug/246450/comments/6

this is basically the procedure to use for 1.1.2, but you should download nspluginwrapper 1.1.2 of course, and use "apt-get build-dep nspluginwrapper" rather than the apt-get install... to install dependencies.

Also at this point:
cd install_flash_player_9_linux/
nspluginwrapper -i ./libflashplayer.so
nspluginwrapper -v -a -u

You should instead do:
cd install_flash_player_9_linux/
cp ./libflashplayer.so ~/.mozilla/plugins
cd ~/.mozilla/plugins
nspluginwrapper -i ./libflashplayer.so
nspluginwrapper -v -a -u

..because the first version works, but once you remove install_flash_player_9_linux flash will no longer work.

Sean

Simon Morgan (sjmorgan) wrote :

Sean, sorry I missed your original post and thanks for the info. I've now got the vanilla nspluginwrapper installed and will report back on my experiences. In case you're unaware, nspluginwrapper 1.1.4 is out along with Flash 10.

Simon Morgan (sjmorgan) wrote :

Well that didn't take long. Not only does sound not work but I get a (lighter) grey box all the time.

Simon Morgan (sjmorgan) wrote :

I think there's a flaw in your instructions, I had to specify the full path to libflashplayer.so otherwise I got the error:

*** NSPlugin Viewer *** ERROR: ./libflashplayer.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

unless I started Firefox from the same directory as libflashplayer.so and even then I had problems.

Simon, I had times when the vanilla install would fail to render an
animation but reloading would always fix it. Whereas with the ubuntu
package, reloading does not fix the problem..

Also, I had problems with sound at one point with the vanilla
nspluginwrapper, but it went away once I did some tuning of my alsa /
pulseaudio settings..

Simon Morgan (sjmorgan) wrote :

Results so far have been great, no more grey boxes. This is with nspluginwrapper 1.1.4 and Flash 10.0 r12.

confiq (confiq) wrote :

i wander if this will be automatic update or we will need to install it manualy... i'll wait few weeks to see if there will be update!

interesting/ironic thing is that i moved to fedora because of this bug but after 8.10 i came back to ubuntu and again, same bug ! :) fedora don't have any problem with flash on 64bit systems....

Udibuntu (udigra) wrote :

Hi Guys,

Can you please post an idiot proof, step by step guide for your greyboxkiller method (on Hardy 64bit)? Also, I think Ubuntu Forums will also be a good place to post this method, if not already posted (haven't seen it there).

Cheers for all your efforts,

Udi

Simon Morgan (sjmorgan) wrote :

Udibuntu, Sean has already done this twice:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+bug/246450/comments/6
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+bug/246450/comments/19

As I stated before, the only thing I suggest you do differently is specify the full path to libflashplayer.so instead of the relative path i.e. "nspluginwrapper -i /path/to/libflashplayer.so" instead of "nspluginwrapper -i ./libflashplayer.so".

If these steps are still too complicated for you then I suggest you wait until a fix is found and implemented.

Sean, Any luck building a package that doesn't exhibit the grey box problem?

Simon Morgan (sjmorgan) wrote :

I just got another grey box. I hit refresh and the browser crashed. *sigh*

Sean McLean (smclean-gmail) wrote :

No luck building a working package yet, I'm still trying though. It's
a hard problem to test because the problem behavior can take so long
to manifest itself sometimes.. it's hard to know when to call a test a
success.

Udibuntu (udigra) wrote :

I'm sorry to hear this issue persists, so I thought you'll feel better when I say I actually admire you for putting so much effort in this (I mean all of you here).

I'm sorry I can't contribute to the effort - I'm a technology challenged person trying to make a point that Linux can be a good solution for the masses... so when I say I need an idiot proof method I really mean it :)

Cheers,

Udi

ramas (slocascio) wrote :

For me, the problem comes up when launching firefox while running a
sound application (Audacious or last.fm player); in this case, i close
the sound appl and restart firefox, and it loads flash animations
again. I think it is a flash plugin problem against the sound system
of ubuntu.

--
Saluti,
Sergio

confiq (confiq) wrote :

Guys did anyone of you tried... natural flash 64bit for linux? :)
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/

Sean McLean (smclean-gmail) wrote :

I tried the native 64 bit plugin as soon as I heard about it yesterday
morning. It's been working great, no problems at all since yesterday
morning.

I'm finding it harder to continue trying to solve the nspluginwrapper
problem....

To remove nspluginwrapper and switch to the new 64 bit plugin:

apt-get remove flashplugin-nonfree
wget http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/libflashplayer-10.0.d20.7.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz
tar zxvf libflashplayer-10.0.d20.7.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz
mv libflashplayer.so ~/.mozilla/plugins
[restart firefox]

confiq (confiq) wrote :

I can confirm it's working... at least for now it;s working very well...

Only thing before installing, you should create ~/.mozilla/plugins directory and then mv libflashplayer...

Simon Morgan (sjmorgan) wrote :

In the 15 days I've been using the 64bit Flash plug-in it hasn't crashed once which is amazing given my experiences with the 32bit version which would typically crash multiple times a day.

alpes2000 (juank-avila) wrote :

Per Sean McLean instructions, I moved to the 10.0 64 bit flash plugin, and it seems to be working fine (no more gray boxes).

Also noticed that an annoying behavior where html menus were displayed behind flash content, also disappeared (see https://bugs.launchpad.net/moblin-browser/+bug/236904).

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 x86_64, Firefox 3.0.4.

Alexander Sack (asac) wrote :

alpes2000 wrote:
> Per Sean McLean instructions, I moved to the 10.0 64 bit flash plugin,
> and it seems to be working fine (no more gray boxes).
>
> Also noticed that an annoying behavior where html menus were displayed
> behind flash content, also disappeared (see https://bugs.launchpad.net
> /moblin-browser/+bug/236904).
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 x86_64, Firefox 3.0.4.
>
>
i would suggest to try the nspluginwrapper from jaunty and the reinstall
flashplugin-nonfree package to update the npviewer. the latest in jaunty
should perform quite perfectly

Gábor Matyi (gabor.matyi) wrote :

Hi!

I downloaded the

flashplugin-nonfree_10.0.15.3ubuntu3_amd64.deb
ia32-libs_2.7ubuntu3_amd64.deb
nspluginwrapper_1.2.2-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb

packages and I installed them. on interpid.

Unfortunately the issue wasn't solved, now I see always grey box instead of flash animation.

here is the dmesg

[32583.316181] npviewer.bin[18963]: segfault at 0 ip 0000000000000000 sp 00000000ffacd21c error 14 in npviewer.bin[8048000+1f000]
[32731.039877] npviewer.bin[18999]: segfault at 0 ip 0000000000000000 sp 00000000ffbf233c error 14 in npviewer.bin[8048000+1f000]

Gábor Matyi (gabor.matyi) wrote :

Also this afternoon I spent lot's of time with this bug, but no success. I installed return these version of the flashpluginnonfre,ia32-libs and nspluginwrapper:

flashpluginnonfree_10.0.15.3ubuntu1~intrepid1_amd64.deb
ia32-libs_2.2ubuntu18_amd64.deb
nspluginwrapper_1.1.2-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb

in this case the flash work partially.

I followed these instruction: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingProgramCrash , but I couldn't get more information about this bug. Could anybody help me how to create more trace about this bug, that help the developer?

Gabor

Martin (lodp) wrote :

I was having the same problem, and I just installed the native 64-bit adobe flash player according to Sean's instructions. Seems to be working fine so far. It seems Adobe has releases a new alpha version (10.0.d21.1) of the plugin since though, so the instructions go as follows:

$ apt-get remove flashplugin-nonfree
$ wget http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/libflashplayer-10.0.d21.1.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz
$ tar zxvf libflashplayer-10.0.d21.1.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz
$ mv libflashplayer.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

This new version 10.0.d21.1 has a timestamp Dec 10, 2008 -- does anybody know whether there's a newer one yet? The macromedia.com download directory isn't browsable, and I couldn't find any official site dealing with this. Where does Adobe officially release these things?

confiq (confiq) wrote :

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html
sorry but there is not newer version :(

marsplus (marsplus) wrote :

right-click on the grey box and then choose autoplay>always

> right-click on the grey box and then choose autoplay>always
this did work to make some of the vidios play as they are intended,
hosever it did not help with another problem.
Some vidios do not play at all.
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2009/09/18/dnt.inside.the.garrido.house.kcra

this url, from cnn.com, does not play.

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 1:08 AM, marsplus <email address hidden> wrote:
> *** This bug is a duplicate of bug 238606 ***
>    https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/238606
>
> right-click on the grey box and then choose autoplay>always
>
> --
> firefox shows grey box instead of flash player on amd64
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/246450
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug (via bug 238606).
>
> Status in Compatibility plugin for Netscape 4 (NPAPI) plugins: New
> Status in “firefox-3.0” package in Ubuntu: New
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: firefox-3.0
>
> When i go on some websites which use flash, the part of the site where the flash content should be is instead replaced with a grey box. From searching around, i havn't found a solution to this problem anywhere but other people seem to have this problem and it seems to relate back to the fact that i have a AMD64 computer. Reinstalling flash is a quick temporary fix but its always the same flash applications that break it and they break it for every other flash application too. Avoiding them or reinstalling the entire operating system isn't really a realistic way of solving this problem so does anybody have some idea of what i could do to fix this?
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Tue Jul  8 01:55:31 2008
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 8.04
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> Package: firefox-3.0 3.0+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.8.04.1
> PackageArchitecture: amd64
> ProcEnviron:
>  PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
>  LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
>  SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: firefox-3.0
> Uname: Linux 2.6.24-19-generic x86_64
>

vincew9298 (vincew9298) wrote :
Download full text (4.2 KiB)

Thanks for your help. I've gotten many suggestions but nothing seem to fix
all the problems I was having. So I installed the newest UBUNTU, 9.04 and
everything works now. I even have HULU, Crackle and a Sprint Compass
wireless card working off of Ubuntu. I haven't tried MagicJack yet and I
tried to play a movie (a real store bought one- Gran Torino) that did not
play at alll using VLC and using UBUNTU's Movie Player crashed after I
paused it to take a call.

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 9:21 AM, udave48 <email address hidden> wrote:

> *** This bug is a duplicate of bug 238606 ***
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/238606
>
> > right-click on the grey box and then choose autoplay>always
> this did work to make some of the vidios play as they are intended,
> hosever it did not help with another problem.
> Some vidios do not play at all.
>
> http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2009/09/18/dnt.inside.the.garrido.house.kcra
>
> this url, from cnn.com, does not play.
>
>
> On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 1:08 AM, marsplus <email address hidden> wrote:
> > *** This bug is a duplicate of bug 238606 ***
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/238606
> >
> > right-click on the grey box and then choose autoplay>always
> >
> > --
> > firefox shows grey box instead of flash player on amd64
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/246450
> > You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> > of the bug (via bug 238606).
> >
> > Status in Compatibility plugin for Netscape 4 (NPAPI) plugins: New
> > Status in “firefox-3.0” package in Ubuntu: New
> >
> > Bug description:
> > Binary package hint: firefox-3.0
> >
> > When i go on some websites which use flash, the part of the site where
> the flash content should be is instead replaced with a grey box. From
> searching around, i havn't found a solution to this problem anywhere but
> other people seem to have this problem and it seems to relate back to the
> fact that i have a AMD64 computer. Reinstalling flash is a quick temporary
> fix but its always the same flash applications that break it and they break
> it for every other flash application too. Avoiding them or reinstalling the
> entire operating system isn't really a realistic way of solving this problem
> so does anybody have some idea of what i could do to fix this?
> >
> > ProblemType: Bug
> > Architecture: amd64
> > Date: Tue Jul 8 01:55:31 2008
> > DistroRelease: Ubuntu 8.04
> > NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> > Package: firefox-3.0 3.0+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.8.04.1
> > PackageArchitecture: amd64
> > ProcEnviron:
> >
> PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
> > LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
> > SHELL=/bin/bash
> > SourcePackage: firefox-3.0
> > Uname: Linux 2.6.24-19-generic x86_64
> >
>
> --
> firefox shows grey box instead of flash player on amd64
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/246450
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug (via bug 238606).
>
> Status in Compatibility plugin for Netscape 4 (NPAPI) plugins: New
> Status in “firefox-3.0” package in Ubuntu: New
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: firefox-3.0
>
> When i go on some websites which use fl...

Read more...

udave48 (dtsatwicz) wrote :
Download full text (6.0 KiB)

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I am running 9.04. Things worked with 8.10.
Trouble started with 9.04. Oh well 9.10 is not far away.

Thanks,
Dave

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 11:11 AM, vincew9298 <email address hidden> wrote:
> *** This bug is a duplicate of bug 238606 ***
>    https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/238606
>
> Thanks for your help. I've gotten many suggestions but nothing seem to fix
> all the problems I was having. So I installed the newest UBUNTU, 9.04 and
> everything works now.  I even have HULU, Crackle  and a Sprint Compass
> wireless card working off of Ubuntu. I haven't tried MagicJack yet and I
> tried to play a movie (a real store bought one- Gran Torino) that did not
> play at alll using VLC and using UBUNTU's Movie Player crashed after I
> paused it to take a call.
>
> On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 9:21 AM, udave48 <email address hidden> wrote:
>
>> *** This bug is a duplicate of bug 238606 ***
>>    https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/238606
>>
>> > right-click on the grey box and then choose autoplay>always
>> this did work to make some of the vidios play as they are intended,
>> hosever it did not help with another problem.
>> Some vidios do not play at all.
>>
>> http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2009/09/18/dnt.inside.the.garrido.house.kcra
>>
>> this url, from cnn.com, does not play.
>>
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 1:08 AM, marsplus <email address hidden> wrote:
>> > *** This bug is a duplicate of bug 238606 ***
>> >    https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/238606
>> >
>> > right-click on the grey box and then choose autoplay>always
>> >
>> > --
>> > firefox shows grey box instead of flash player on amd64
>> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/246450
>> > You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
>> > of the bug (via bug 238606).
>> >
>> > Status in Compatibility plugin for Netscape 4 (NPAPI) plugins: New
>> > Status in “firefox-3.0” package in Ubuntu: New
>> >
>> > Bug description:
>> > Binary package hint: firefox-3.0
>> >
>> > When i go on some websites which use flash, the part of the site where
>> the flash content should be is instead replaced with a grey box. From
>> searching around, i havn't found a solution to this problem anywhere but
>> other people seem to have this problem and it seems to relate back to the
>> fact that i have a AMD64 computer. Reinstalling flash is a quick temporary
>> fix but its always the same flash applications that break it and they break
>> it for every other flash application too. Avoiding them or reinstalling the
>> entire operating system isn't really a realistic way of solving this problem
>> so does anybody have some idea of what i could do to fix this?
>> >
>> > ProblemType: Bug
>> > Architecture: amd64
>> > Date: Tue Jul  8 01:55:31 2008
>> > DistroRelease: Ubuntu 8.04
>> > NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
>> > Package: firefox-3.0 3.0+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.8.04.1
>> > PackageArchitecture: amd64
>> > ProcEnviron:
>> >
>>  PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
>> >  LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
>> >  SHELL=/bin/bash
>> > SourcePackage: firefox-3.0
>> > Uname: Linux 2.6.24-19-generic x86_64
>> >
>>
>> --
>> firefox shows grey box instead of fl...

Read more...

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers