NiceeePC eeePC automatization script

Sound dissapears after suspend

Reported by Carlos Jenkins Pérez on 2008-10-06
6
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
NiceeePC
High
Carlos Jenkins Pérez

Bug Description

Hi,

Thx for a great script.

I used the 1.3 script tu update my clean Ubuntu installation on my 900 and as far as I've seen almost everything works fine.
The system dos not go to suspend when I close the lid so I use the OS suspend instead.
When I wake up the pc I use the on button because it does not start by opening the lid.
I get two errors displayed, kbd and aux something, and when the system has restarted it has no sound any more.

The sound icon looks OK and it des not help to toggle mute so I have to reboot to get the sound back.

Cheers,

Mikael

Changing the status to confirmed and high importance.
This bug only affect eeepc 900 hardware (and maybe 901/1000) but not 70X series.
I'll be providing instructions soon.

Cheers

Changed in niceeepc:
assignee: nobody → havok-cr
importance: Undecided → High
status: New → Confirmed

How to fix this:

1) Create the file: /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/45sound

cd /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/
touch 45sound

2) Edit it with:

sudo gedit 45sound

And paste this:

#!/bin/bash
if [ ! -x /sbin/alsa ]; then
        exit 0;
fi

case "$1" in
    hibernate|suspend)
        /sbin/alsa suspend
        ;;
    thaw|resume)
        /sbin/alsa resume
        ;;
    *)
        ;;
esac

exit $?

3) Finally give the execution permission.

sudo chmod +x /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/45sound

This should fix the problem. gnome-volume-manager will complain everytime, but just reload it.

Cheers

Thanks for the info but unfortunately it did not help.After I resume the
eeePc I also have to give my password, if that has anything to do with this
(but probably not).

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 2:30 AM, Carlos Jenkins Pérez <<email address hidden>
> wrote:

> How to fix this:
>
> 1) Create the file: /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/45sound
>
> cd /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/
> touch 45sound
>
> 2) Edit it with:
>
> sudo gedit 45sound
>
> And paste this:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> if [ ! -x /sbin/alsa ]; then
> exit 0;
> fi
>
> case "$1" in
> hibernate|suspend)
> /sbin/alsa suspend
> ;;
> thaw|resume)
> /sbin/alsa resume
> ;;
> *)
> ;;
> esac
>
> exit $?
>
> 3) Finally give the execution permission.
>
> sudo chmod +x /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/45sound
>
> This should fix the problem. gnome-volume-manager will complain
> everytime, but just reload it.
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Sound dissapears after suspend
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/279383
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in NiceeePC eeePC automatization script: Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> Hi,
>
> Thx for a great script.
>
> I used the 1.3 script tu update my clean Ubuntu installation on my 900 and
> as far as I've seen almost everything works fine.
> The system dos not go to suspend when I close the lid so I use the OS
> suspend instead.
> When I wake up the pc I use the on button because it does not start by
> opening the lid.
> I get two errors displayed, kbd and aux something, and when the system has
> restarted it has no sound any more.
>
> The sound icon looks OK and it des not help to toggle mute so I have to
> reboot to get the sound back.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mikael
>

--
MVH / Regards
Mikael Hedengren

CORPORATE / www.cylinderlabs.com / Cylinder Labs AB, Sommargatan 24, 272 37
Simrishamn, Sweden

Why you say that this didn't help? You got sound after suspend?

The password after suspend has nothing to do with. To remove the password prompt:

niceeepc manual fix_password

Anyway, the password promt is another thread.

This bug repport is about the sound not working after suspend. Is this solved with the proposed fix?

Mikaael (mikael-cylinderlabs) wrote :

No I did not get sound after suspend..Sorry that my answer confused you.

Cheers,
Mikael

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 8:26 PM, Carlos Jenkins Pérez <<email address hidden>
> wrote:

> Why you say that this didn't help? You got sound after suspend?
>
> The password after suspend has nothing to do with. To remove the
> password prompt:
>
> niceeepc manual fix_password
>
> Anyway, the password promt is another thread.
>
> This bug repport is about the sound not working after suspend. Is this
> solved with the proposed fix?
>
> --
> Sound dissapears after suspend
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/279383
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in NiceeePC eeePC automatization script: Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> Hi,
>
> Thx for a great script.
>
> I used the 1.3 script tu update my clean Ubuntu installation on my 900 and
> as far as I've seen almost everything works fine.
> The system dos not go to suspend when I close the lid so I use the OS
> suspend instead.
> When I wake up the pc I use the on button because it does not start by
> opening the lid.
> I get two errors displayed, kbd and aux something, and when the system has
> restarted it has no sound any more.
>
> The sound icon looks OK and it des not help to toggle mute so I have to
> reboot to get the sound back.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mikael
>

Please send the file "outputs.txt" created by:

cat /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/45sound > outputs.txt
echo "***********************" >> outputs.txt
ls -lah /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/45sound >> outputs.txt
echo "***********************" >> outputs.txt
sudo dmidecode --string system-product-name >> outputs.txt

Cheers!

---------------------------------------------

Errata from above post:
niceeepc manual fix_password_after_sleep

Mikaael (mikael-cylinderlabs) wrote :

Please find it attached.

Cheers!

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 6:28 AM, Carlos Jenkins Pérez <<email address hidden>
> wrote:

> Please send the file "outputs.txt" created by:
>
> cat /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/45sound > outputs.txt
> echo "***********************" >> outputs.txt
> ls -lah /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/45sound >> outputs.txt
> echo "***********************" >> outputs.txt
> sudo dmidecode --string system-product-name >> outputs.txt
>
> Cheers!
>
> ---------------------------------------------
>
> Errata from above post:
> niceeepc manual fix_password_after_sleep
>
> --
> Sound dissapears after suspend
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/279383
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in NiceeePC eeePC automatization script: Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> Hi,
>
> Thx for a great script.
>
> I used the 1.3 script tu update my clean Ubuntu installation on my 900 and
> as far as I've seen almost everything works fine.
> The system dos not go to suspend when I close the lid so I use the OS
> suspend instead.
> When I wake up the pc I use the on button because it does not start by
> opening the lid.
> I get two errors displayed, kbd and aux something, and when the system has
> restarted it has no sound any more.
>
> The sound icon looks OK and it des not help to toggle mute so I have to
> reboot to get the sound back.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mikael
>

Everything seem correct in the output file :S
When you say it still doesn't work what kind of sound do you mean? You can playback MP3 o is the system sounds?

This is a well known bug, please read this section:

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/getting_ubuntu_8.04_to_work_perfectly?s=sound#audio_after_suspend_resume

Cheers

Mikaael (mikael-cylinderlabs) wrote :

Reading the section you gave the link to I saw one issue missing in your
instruction:

force_unload_modules_before_suspend="snd_hda_intel"

When I fixed that everything worked (except possibly the system sounds but I
don't care about that).

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Mikael

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 7:23 PM, Carlos Jenkins Pérez <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Everything seem correct in the output file :S
> When you say it still doesn't work what kind of sound do you mean? You can
> playback MP3 o is the system sounds?
>
> This is a well known bug, please read this section:
>
>
> http://wiki.eeeuser.com/getting_ubuntu_8.04_to_work_perfectly?s=sound#audio_after_suspend_resume
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Sound dissapears after suspend
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/279383
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in NiceeePC eeePC automatization script: Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> Hi,
>
> Thx for a great script.
>
> I used the 1.3 script tu update my clean Ubuntu installation on my 900 and
> as far as I've seen almost everything works fine.
> The system dos not go to suspend when I close the lid so I use the OS
> suspend instead.
> When I wake up the pc I use the on button because it does not start by
> opening the lid.
> I get two errors displayed, kbd and aux something, and when the system has
> restarted it has no sound any more.
>
> The sound icon looks OK and it des not help to toggle mute so I have to
> reboot to get the sound back.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mikael
>

coding this change...

Changed in niceeepc:
status: Confirmed → In Progress

Released Niceeepc 1.4
Changing status to fix released.

Changed in niceeepc:
status: In Progress → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Related questions

Bug attachments