Network-Manager doesn't support pppoe connections

Bug #394218 reported by Fethi DILMI on 2009-07-01
26
This bug affects 5 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
NetworkManager
Confirmed
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Hi everybody;

People who use PPPoE connection need to use pppoeconf tool in terminal so as to create a connection using old routers. Why do we not include that in network manager by making it support this kind of connections.

Vish (vish) wrote :

Thank you for bringing this bug to our attention. Unfortunately a paper cut should be a small usability issue that affects many people and is quick and easy to fix. I'm afraid this bug can't be addressed as part of this project.

This is not a papercut that affects the average user.
A paper cut is a minor usability annoyance that an average user would encounter on his/her first day of using a new installation of Ubuntu 9.10.

For further info about papercuts criteria , pls read > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PaperCut

Don't worry though, This bug has been marked as "invalid" ONLY in the papercuts project.

For resolution of the bug, kindly identify the projects affected and re-assign the bug to that project, otherwise the devs of the concerned project might not be notified of this problem. For more about finding the right package> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/FindRightPackage.

Changed in hundredpapercuts:
status: New → Invalid

Sorry I thought it was easy to develop , because to rp-pppoe.so library is
ready, the only thing that developers should do is use that library by
offering a tab in network manager , i think that python will simplify this
task s, otherwise there is no problem for me , I can wait , but I hope this
will be solved as soon as possible because there many people who use this
kind of connection.

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 2:00 PM, mac_v <email address hidden> wrote:

> Thank you for bringing this bug to our attention. Unfortunately a paper
> cut should be a small usability issue that affects many people and is
> quick and easy to fix. I'm afraid this bug can't be addressed as part of
> this project.
>
> This is not a papercut that affects the average user.
> A paper cut is a minor usability annoyance that an average user would
> encounter on his/her first day of using a new installation of Ubuntu 9.10.
>
> For further info about papercuts criteria , pls read >
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PaperCut
>
> Don't worry though, This bug has been marked as "invalid" ONLY in the
> papercuts project.
>
> For resolution of the bug, kindly identify the projects affected and re-
> assign the bug to that project, otherwise the devs of the concerned
> project might not be notified of this problem. For more about finding
> the right package> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/FindRightPackage.
>
> ** Changed in: hundredpapercuts
> Status: New => Invalid
>
> --
> Network-Manager doesn't support pppoe connections
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/394218
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in One Hundred Paper Cuts: Invalid
>
> Bug description:
> Hi everybody;
>
> People who use PPPoE connection need to use pppoeconf tool in terminal so
> as to create a connection using old routers. Why do we not include that in
> network manager by making it support this kind of connections.
>

Vish (vish) on 2009-07-01
affects: hundredpapercuts → network-manager
Changed in network-manager:
status: Invalid → New
papukaija (papukaija) wrote :

Please set the importance to wishlist.

Changed in network-manager:
status: New → Confirmed
Fethi DILMI (addictcook) wrote :

I hope they give importance to this bug , Ubuntu is open source , which meens free, and you know poor countries use old technologies like this one, so they will use free os like ubuntu, so it must offer an easy support to old technologies like this one (pppoe).

Tony Espy (awe) wrote :

Network Manager 0.7.x added support for DSL modems.

In order to set up a DSL connection, you need to use "Edit Connections", click on the "DSL" tab, and create a new configuration.

As I don't have a DSL modem present, I can't really test it myself, but I've verified that the "DSL" tab exists and seems functional in both Jaunty ( NM 0.7.1~ ) and Karmic ( NM 0.8~ ).

Unless there's any reasonable objection, I'd like to mark this as Invalid.

Fethi DILMI (addictcook) wrote :

believe me , I tried that many times , it doesn't create any connection , I
tried that under 8.04, 8.10 and 9.04 ; it doesn't work. i have to use sudo
pppoeconf , and all people i know use this method because network manager
doesn't support very well this old technology.

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Tony Espy <email address hidden> wrote:

> Network Manager 0.7.x added support for DSL modems.
>
> In order to set up a DSL connection, you need to use "Edit Connections",
> click on the "DSL" tab, and create a new configuration.
>
> As I don't have a DSL modem present, I can't really test it myself, but
> I've verified that the "DSL" tab exists and seems functional in both
> Jaunty ( NM 0.7.1~ ) and Karmic ( NM 0.8~ ).
>
> Unless there's any reasonable objection, I'd like to mark this as
> Invalid.
>
> --
> Network-Manager doesn't support pppoe connections
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/394218
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in NetworkManager: Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> Hi everybody;
>
> People who use PPPoE connection need to use pppoeconf tool in terminal so
> as to create a connection using old routers. Why do we not include that in
> network manager by making it support this kind of connections.
>

--
Δελφοί Εξορία: την ικανότητα να επιτύχουν το αδύνατο

Microsoft gives you Windows...But Linux gives you to whole house. Don't be
slaves of Microsoft , be free and join Linux communities such as Ubuntu:
http://www.ubuntu.com

Sneetsher (sneetsher) wrote :

Hi all,

I have test it with FAWRI ISP (Algeria), through a PPPoE.

You have to uncheck ("Allow Deflate data compression"). As shown in the attachment. It's working well.

Try it!

tags: added: adsl dsl network pppoe
Tony Espy (awe) wrote :

Dilmi, you're bug said that NM doesn't support PPPoE. I've pointed out that the feature exists which why this bug should be marked Invalid.

If you can't make successfully create a DSL connection with Network Manager, then you should create a new bug which gives us the details of what you tried. Without such details, we can't begin to solve your problem(s).

A good place to start would be to create start from scratch and try to create a DSL connection via the Edit Connections 'DSL' tab. If you try this and it still doesn't work, then connect back to the 'Net via Wi-Fi or Ethernet if possible, and report a new bug using the command ( from a Terminal, or Alt-F2: Run Application ):

ubuntu-bug network-manager

This will collect a bunch of debug information from your machine and bring you to Launchpad where you can file a new bug.

When you do so, please add a details description of each step you took to configure your DLS connection.

Eg.

1. Launched "Edit Connections"
2. Clicked "DSL" tab
3. Clicked "Add" button
4. etc...

If it doesn't work for you, then you need to file a bug with the details

Fethi DILMI (addictcook) wrote :

Tony Espy , this doesn't work , the connection is not established like that.

kkady32 (kkady32) wrote :

The bug is still in 9.10
You can solve this when install network manager from Daily trunk PPA :http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-setup-networkmanager-work-with-pppoe-connection-on-ubuntu-9-10-karmic.html

igor (igor.name) wrote :

I have a similar problem. In past releases, everything worked, and in 9.10 pppoe connection is not established.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Related questions