old serial no association should be cleared when ip device is replaced with new hardware

Bug #691571 reported by Vidar Faltinsen
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Network Administration Visualized
Fix Released
Medium
Morten Brekkevold

Bug Description

ipdevpoll should detect if there is a type change of a given netbox. If that is the case it means the hardware is
replaced and the old serial number is no longer relevant. Actually this should trigger a complete new discovery
of the box since it in fact is a new one.

In the scenario where the hardware replacal is of the same type ipdevpoll should detect the change in serial
and thus also trigger a rediscover of the box.

The problem that triggered this bug report was a case were we are unable to retrieve serial number from the new
hardware and NAV thus was stuch with a relation to the old serial. This in turn made it impossible to monitor
the new role of this hardware when it had reappaered on a different ip address (seeddb gives an error message
that the serial number is already in use).

Changed in nav:
assignee: nobody → Morten Brekkevold (mbrekkevold)
Revision history for this message
Morten Brekkevold (mbrekkevold) wrote :

Vidar,

I've tried multiple times switching a netbox from a Alcatel Omnistack LS-6200 to a Catalyst 2926 switch (from which ipdevpoll is currently unable to pull a serial number), but I'm still unable to reproduce this. I have found a weakness in the way jobs are cancelled when the netbox type has changed, though.

What were the exact devices types involved when this problem occurred?

Changed in nav:
status: New → Incomplete
tags: added: ipdevpoll
Revision history for this message
Morten Brekkevold (mbrekkevold) wrote :

Thanks for the out-of-band feedback, Vidar.

I'm now able to reproduce this by replacing a cisco7206VXR with a Juniper M7i router. The difference is likely that in my first test, the catalyst2926 does respond to ENTITY-MIB::entPhysicalTable, but gives no serials for the entities. The M7i doesn't respond at all to ENTITY-MIB queries.

Changed in nav:
importance: Undecided → Medium
milestone: none → 3.7.3
status: Incomplete → Confirmed
Revision history for this message
Morten Brekkevold (mbrekkevold) wrote :
Changed in nav:
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed
Changed in nav:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers