MXP line tag 4 does not revert to prior mode at end of tag

Bug #1380455 reported by David M on 2014-10-13
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Mudlet
Opinion
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

The MXP spec says that line tag 4 should enable secure mode, but only for the next tag. It should revert back to its prior mode after the tag has closed. When Mudlet receive line tag 4, it switches to secure mode, but it sticks permanently rather than reverting back as it should. This causes some problems for certain MUDs. For example, in Lusternia (and presumably other IRE MUDs), they exclusively send MXP via line tag 4 for their MXP command. When a user turns off MXP on the server, Lusternia stops sending MXP commands to Mudlet. But, Mudlet is still stuck in MXP security mode because it didn't revert back at the end of each tag. This causes it to squelch anything between a < and >, mistakingly thinking them as MXP tags.

MXP references:
https://web.archive.org/web/20101023084054/http://www.mudstandards.org/MXP_Line_Tags
www.zuggsoft.com/zmud/mxp.htm#MXP%20Line%20Tags

I have attached a patch to fix this bug.

If you want to reproduce the bug, here are steps using Lusternia as your host (or possibly any IRE game). Enter these commands:
CONFIG MXP ON
CONFIG MXP OFF
SAY <Yo!>

With this bug, the second <Yo!> that is echoed back is squelched. With my patch, it works fine.

Tags: mxp Edit Tag help
David M (theexternvoid) wrote :
David M (theexternvoid) wrote :

Typo in my bug posting. Should say this without the word "second":

With this bug, the <Yo!> that is echoed back is squelched. With my patch, it works fine.

Vadim Peretokin (vperetokin) wrote :

Would you mind submitting the patch as a pull request on github.com/Mudlet/Mudlet ?

David M (theexternvoid) wrote :

I'm not familiar with pull requests. My attempt at making one gave me this URL:
https://github.com/Mudlet/Mudlet/pull/218

Hopefully I did it correctly.

Yep you did.

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 6:51 AM, David M <email address hidden> wrote:

> I'm not familiar with pull requests. My attempt at making one gave me this
> URL:
> https://github.com/Mudlet/Mudlet/pull/218
>
> Hopefully I did it correctly.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of Mudlet
> Makers, which is subscribed to Mudlet.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1380455
>
> Title:
> MXP line tag 4 does not revert to prior mode at end of tag
>
> Status in Mudlet the MUD client:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> The MXP spec says that line tag 4 should enable secure mode, but only
> for the next tag. It should revert back to its prior mode after the
> tag has closed. When Mudlet receive line tag 4, it switches to secure
> mode, but it sticks permanently rather than reverting back as it
> should. This causes some problems for certain MUDs. For example, in
> Lusternia (and presumably other IRE MUDs), they exclusively send MXP
> via line tag 4 for their MXP command. When a user turns off MXP on the
> server, Lusternia stops sending MXP commands to Mudlet. But, Mudlet is
> still stuck in MXP security mode because it didn't revert back at the
> end of each tag. This causes it to squelch anything between a < and >,
> mistakingly thinking them as MXP tags.
>
> MXP references:
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20101023084054/http://www.mudstandards.org/MXP_Line_Tags
> www.zuggsoft.com/zmud/mxp.htm#MXP%20Line%20Tags
>
> I have attached a patch to fix this bug.
>
> If you want to reproduce the bug, here are steps using Lusternia as your
> host (or possibly any IRE game). Enter these commands:
> CONFIG MXP ON
> CONFIG MXP OFF
> SAY <Yo!>
>
> With this bug, the second <Yo!> that is echoed back is squelched. With
> my patch, it works fine.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/mudlet/+bug/1380455/+subscriptions
>
> _______________________________________________
> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~mudlet-makers
> Post to : <email address hidden>
> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~mudlet-makers
> More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
>

Stephen Lyons (slysven) wrote :

Actually, as far I can see the handling of MXP tags is not what is written on http://www.zuggsoft.com/zmud/mxp.htm we don't appear to keep track of what the default mode is as set by tags 5, 6 & 7... so that we can go back to it when the temporary tag 4 ends.

Vadim Peretokin (vperetokin) wrote :

Migrating issues to Github, please follow the new discussion here: https://github.com/Mudlet/Mudlet/issues/772

This issue needs to be closed and there is no appropriate status, so will set it to "Opinion" just for migration purposes.

Changed in mudlet:
status: New → Opinion
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.