Browse mode doesn't show folders with non-ASCII characters.

Bug #911461 reported by Manuel Sampedro on 2012-01-03
22
This bug affects 4 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Mixxx
Medium
Daniel Schürmann
mixxx (Debian)
Fix Released
Unknown

Bug Description

Ubuntu 11.04, Acer Aspire 5315, Linux 2.6.38.13.
Tenia instalado Mixxx 1.9.2 via PPa y todo funcionaba correctamente; cuando se actualizo a la versión 1.10, las CARPETAS de música
han desaparecido,(Mixxx 1.10 library.png) me refiero a las carpetas situadas en: Examinar/Enlaces rápidos/Biblioteca Mixxx. En la version anterior podia verlas perfectamente. En cambio si que puedo ver las canciones en Biblioteca(Mixxx 1.10 biblioteca.png).
Saludos y gracias. Manuel
I had installed Mixxx 1.9.2 via PPA and eveythink was ok, when mixxx updated to 1.10, the music folders in browse/quick links/mixxx library have gone. However I can see the songs in Library(up to autodj).
Also tell than the program now is in spanish(like the sistem)wich is very googd.
Regards and sorry about my english, Manuel

Manuel Sampedro (msampedro) wrote :
description: updated
Manuel Sampedro (msampedro) wrote :
RJ Skerry-Ryan (rryan) wrote :

Could you post the log output of Mixxx when you click on the Home/Biblioteca section?

Changed in mixxx:
importance: Undecided → Medium
milestone: none → 1.10.1
  • mixxx.log Edit (20.2 KiB, text/x-log; name="mixxx.log"; charset="UTF-8")

Thanks for your answer,

I don't know if is this file what you need, if not, please let me know
which one is and where is located, remember I'm using ubuntu 11.04.
For your information I check the program in a similar pc with win7 with
the same external HD where the music is located and works fine.
Thank you very much and once again sorry about my English.

Regards, Manuel
> Could you post the log output of Mixxx when you click on the
> Home/Biblioteca section?
>
> ** Changed in: mixxx
> Importance: Undecided => Medium
>
> ** Changed in: mixxx
> Milestone: None => 1.10.1
>

Thanks, that's useful.

Debug: [Main]: BrowseFeature::activateChild QVariant(QString, "Biblioteca Mixxx") QVariant(QString, "/media/Datos/Mis Documentos/Mi música/")

It looks like an encoding error. It's trying to load the folder: /media/Datos/Mis Documentos/Mi música/

Could you confirm the name of your music folder? Is it /media/Datos/Mis Documentos/Mi música/ ?

Changed in mixxx:
status: New → Confirmed

Yes, I send you a capture
> Thanks, that's useful.
>
> Debug: [Main]: BrowseFeature::activateChild QVariant(QString,
> "Biblioteca Mixxx") QVariant(QString, "/media/Datos/Mis Documentos/Mi
> música/")
>
> It looks like an encoding error. It's trying to load the folder:
> /media/Datos/Mis Documentos/Mi música/
>
> Could you confirm the name of your music folder? Is it /media/Datos/Mis
> Documentos/Mi música/ ?
>
>
> ** Changed in: mixxx
> Status: New => Confirmed
>

Manuel Sampedro (msampedro) wrote :

Hi again;

I found the problem!!,
After install, uninstall, take all the music(160GB)out of the external
hard disk and format it, searching everywhere, even under the
stones....etc; the problem was in the language system(Spanish)and is as
simple as an accent('), I just rename the library:media/Datos/Mis
Documentos/Mi música for media/Datos/Mis Documentos/Mi musica.
I only can say I'm so sorry to waste your time with this, but, i didn't
know where to look.
"One small thing can make a big problem", somebody have said this, but I
do not remember who.

Thank you very much, and happy Mixxx.

Regards, Manuel
> Thanks, that's useful.
>
> Debug: [Main]: BrowseFeature::activateChild QVariant(QString,
> "Biblioteca Mixxx") QVariant(QString, "/media/Datos/Mis Documentos/Mi
> música/")
>
> It looks like an encoding error. It's trying to load the folder:
> /media/Datos/Mis Documentos/Mi música/
>
> Could you confirm the name of your music folder? Is it /media/Datos/Mis
> Documentos/Mi música/ ?
>
>
> ** Changed in: mixxx
> Status: New => Confirmed
>

Hi Manuel,

Well, renaming it will work, but Mixxx also has a problem because you should be able to use accented characters in your filenames. Renaming to 'Mi musica' is a good workaround, but we'll get the actual problem fixed so that 'Mi música' works as well.

Thanks,
RJ

Hi again;

You're right of course, I think this problem also affects all people who
are in the same situation, with the system in Spanish(Spain) and also in
Ubuntu the folder Music call Música in Spanish has the same problem, you
can rename the folder, but if you have a quick link, like I have, the
quick link doesn't work(see quick Link.png).Now I'm working on it.
If you don mine, just let me know when the problem is fixed, because
I'll like to keep the old name(Música), because is a shared folder with
Traktor in win7 in other computer and you know what happens if you
change something in the name of the Playlist, etc.

Best Regards, Manuel
> Hi Manuel,
>
> Well, renaming it will work, but Mixxx also has a problem because you
> should be able to use accented characters in your filenames. Renaming to
> 'Mi musica' is a good workaround, but we'll get the actual problem fixed
> so that 'Mi música' works as well.
>
> Thanks,
> RJ
>

RJ Skerry-Ryan (rryan) on 2012-01-17
summary: - No Folders in browse/quick links/Mixxx Library
+ Browse mode doesn't show folders with non-ASCII characters.
tags: added: i18n
tags: added: utf8
Daniel Schürmann (daschuer) wrote :

I cannot reproduce the problem wit Ubuntu 11.10 and lp:mixxx.

The attached patch forces to handle the config file as UTF-8. This patch is needed for Windows to store characters that are not in the local latin. On Ubuntu Qt should handle text files as UTF-8 as default already. So this might not be the problem but is worth a try.

I have notice something else with the attached log:

Note: The qDebug function prints has a bug with decoding QString to UTF-8.

On my system the output looks like that:
Debug: [Main]: BrowseFeature::onLazyChildExpandation QVariant(QString, "Enlaces rápidos") QVariant(QString, "::mixxx_quick_lnk_node::")
Debug: [Main]: BrowseFeature::activateChild QVariant(QString, "Biblioteca Mixxx") QVariant(QString, "/home/daniel/Música/")

Your log looks like that:
Debug: [Main]: BrowseFeature::onLazyChildExpandation QVariant(QString, "Enlaces rápidos") QVariant(QString, "::mixxx_quick_lnk_node::")
Debug: [Main]: BrowseFeature::activateChild QVariant(QString, "Biblioteca Mixxx") QVariant(QString, "/media/Datos/Mis Documentos/Mi música/")

Both Strings "Enlaces rápidos" and "Música" are double UTF-8 encoded in your case. But your screenshot shows "Enlaces rápidos" correct, just as in my case. I guess that the double UTF-8 encoding was happen on the way to launchpad.

Can you provide your ~/.mixxx/mixxx.cfg file?

  • mixxx.cfg Edit (2.1 KiB, text/plain; name="mixxx.cfg"; charset="UTF-8")

Good morning;

Yes, you're right, I didn't see that before(Enlaces rápidos).
Just tell you, I'm not a professional in all this, I'm just trying
to look for a solution to this.
Here is the mixxx.cfg.

Regards, Manuel

Buenos dias;

Tienes razón, no me había fijado en ese detalle, el de Enlaces rápidos;
comentarte que no soy un profesional en todo esto, solo trato de buscar
una solución para que funcione; lo único que se es que si renombro la
carpeta simplemente quitando el acento de Música(Musica), todo funciona
perfecto; en cambio en un SO Windows funciona con acento.

Saludos, Manuel
> I cannot reproduce the problem wit Ubuntu 11.10 and lp:mixxx.
>
> The attached patch forces to handle the config file as UTF-8. This patch
> is needed for Windows to store characters that are not in the local
> latin. On Ubuntu Qt should handle text files as UTF-8 as default
> already. So this might not be the problem but is worth a try.
>
> I have notice something else with the attached log:
>
> Note: The qDebug function prints has a bug with decoding QString to
> UTF-8.
>
> On my system the output looks like that:
> Debug: [Main]: BrowseFeature::onLazyChildExpandation QVariant(QString, "Enlaces rápidos") QVariant(QString, "::mixxx_quick_lnk_node::")
> Debug: [Main]: BrowseFeature::activateChild QVariant(QString, "Biblioteca Mixxx") QVariant(QString, "/home/daniel/Música/")
>
> Your log looks like that:
> Debug: [Main]: BrowseFeature::onLazyChildExpandation QVariant(QString, "Enlaces rápidos") QVariant(QString, "::mixxx_quick_lnk_node::")
> Debug: [Main]: BrowseFeature::activateChild QVariant(QString, "Biblioteca Mixxx") QVariant(QString, "/media/Datos/Mis Documentos/Mi música/")
>
> Both Strings "Enlaces rápidos" and "Música" are double UTF-8 encoded in
> your case. But your screenshot shows "Enlaces rápidos" correct, just as
> in my case. I guess that the double UTF-8 encoding was happen on the way
> to launchpad.
>
> Can you provide your ~/.mixxx/mixxx.cfg file?
>
>
>
>
>
> ** Patch added: "ConfigUtf8.patch"
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/mixxx/+bug/911461/+attachment/2679540/+files/ConfigUtf8.patch
>

tags: added: non-western western
Changed in mixxx:
assignee: nobody → Daniel Schürmann (daschuer)
Daniel Schürmann (daschuer) wrote :

Hi Manuel,

could you please try
http://builds.mixxx.org/builds/experimental-daschuers_trunk/mixxx_1.11.0-alpha-0ubuntu1~daschuer~daschuers-trunk~bzr2920_i386.deb
or
http://builds.mixxx.org/builds/experimental-daschuers_trunk/mixxx_1.11.0-alpha-0ubuntu1~daschuer~daschuers-trunk~bzr2920_amd64.deb

I have added additional debug messages that may help and bug #917908 "qDebug UTF-8 encoding problem" is solved.

Note: Mixxx 1.11 introduces a new database schema V 14. So its a good idea to backup your original ~/.mixxx folder before.

Please provide the mixxx.log when you hit the bug.

Regards, Daniel

Manuel Sampedro (msampedro) wrote :

Hi Daniel;

First at all, thanks for your help, but, after install it, the problem
still the same as you can see. I have to rename /media/Datos/Mis
Documentos/Mi música to: /media/Datos/Mis Documentos/Mi musica.
> Hi Manuel,
>
> could you please try
> http://builds.mixxx.org/builds/experimental-daschuers_trunk/mixxx_1.11.0-alpha-0ubuntu1~daschuer~daschuers-trunk~bzr2920_i386.deb
> or
> http://builds.mixxx.org/builds/experimental-daschuers_trunk/mixxx_1.11.0-alpha-0ubuntu1~daschuer~daschuers-trunk~bzr2920_amd64.deb
>
> I have added additional debug messages that may help and bug #917908 "qDebug UTF-8 encoding problem" is solved.
>
> Note: Mixxx 1.11 introduces a new database schema V 14. So its a good idea to backup your original ~/.mixxx folder before.
>
> Please provide the mixxx.log when you hit the bug.
>
> Regards, Daniel
>

Daniel Schürmann (daschuer) wrote :

Yippie! I have managed to reproduce the issue. The difference was that you had no Tracks in the root folder but in the sub-folders that where not displayed.

The attached Patch solves the problem!

Changed in mixxx:
status: Confirmed → In Progress
Manuel Sampedro (msampedro) wrote :

Hi Daniel;

Can you explain me how to apply the patch; I'm not a professional.
Thanks for your work, Manuel
> Yippie! I have managed to reproduce the issue. The difference was that
> you had no Tracks in the root folder but in the sub-folders that where
> not displayed.
>
> The attached Patch solves the problem!
>
> ** Patch added: "brows.patch"
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/mixxx/+bug/911461/+attachment/2701960/+files/brows.patch
>
> ** Changed in: mixxx
> Status: Confirmed => In Progress
>

Manuel Sampedro (msampedro) wrote :

The result of your link is: 404 not found
> The patch is included in:
>
> http://builds.mixxx.org/builds/experimental-daschuers_trunk/mixxx_1.11.0
> -alpha-0ubuntu1~daschuer~daschuers-trunk~bzr2921_i386.deb
>
> and
>
> http://builds.mixxx.org/builds/experimental-daschuers_trunk/mixxx_1.11.0
> -alpha-0ubuntu1~daschuer~daschuers-trunk~bzr2921_amd64.deb
>

Daniel Schürmann (daschuer) wrote :

Hi Manuel,
for me they are working. It looks like you had an issue with line brake in the email notification. Please try again.

Manuel Sampedro (msampedro) wrote :

YES!!!
Hi Daniel, just tell you thank you very much for your work.

Best Regards, Manuel
> The patch is included in:
>
> http://builds.mixxx.org/builds/experimental-daschuers_trunk/mixxx_1.11.0
> -alpha-0ubuntu1~daschuer~daschuers-trunk~bzr2921_i386.deb
>
> and
>
> http://builds.mixxx.org/builds/experimental-daschuers_trunk/mixxx_1.11.0
> -alpha-0ubuntu1~daschuer~daschuers-trunk~bzr2921_amd64.deb
>

RJ Skerry-Ryan (rryan) on 2012-02-02
tags: added: ascii
removed: non-western western
RJ Skerry-Ryan (rryan) wrote :

Another good fix -- thanks Daniel!

Changed in mixxx:
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
Changed in mixxx (Debian):
status: Unknown → New
Changed in mixxx (Debian):
status: New → Confirmed
Changed in mixxx (Debian):
status: Confirmed → Fix Released
RJ Skerry-Ryan (rryan) on 2012-06-30
Changed in mixxx:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released

Is this issue supposed to be solved in the current source code release (my mixxx say it's 1.11.0-beta2-pre)? I'm experiencing a problem similar to the one described above: files and folders with (some) accented characters are not found when scanning the library or when browsing. Apparently those file names contain characters that are invalid in UTF-8 (that's what Nautilus says). I assume they are leftovers from pre-UTF-8 times. However, the file names display correctly in xterm and my music library and my playlists work fine with other players.

I don't really know what I should send you to help reproducing the problem. Maybe an excerpt of a playlist so that you can create files with names that don't work in my Mixxx?

Thanks,
Tobias

Daniel Schürmann (daschuer) wrote :

Hi Jan Tobias,

Thank you for your bug report.

Can you please open a new Bug, since this one is already fixed an released.

Yo may than provide the following:
* A List of files suffering this issue
* The exact warning message from Nautilus
* ~/.mixxx/mixxx.log from a Mixxx run when browsing those files

Thank you,

Daniel

Done: Bug #1060082

Sorry for the delay. Feel free to contact me by mail if you need further information. I might be more responsive by mail than on this bug tracker...

Thanks,
Tobias

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.