All tracks show wrong duration in library, trunk >= r2410

Bug #586774 reported by Sean M. Pappalardo on 2010-05-28
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Mixxx
Medium
Albert Santoni
1.8
Medium
Albert Santoni

Bug Description

Nearly all tracks in a (newly-scanned) library show 0:00 or a completely incorrect number for their duration in trunk r2410 and later. (r2410 was the ssplugins merge.) Regardless of what number is shown, when loaded, they all show 00:00 in the player (and playposition-based effects don't work.)
This applies at least to FLAC, MP3, and WAV files and is a problem on Linux x86 and Windows x64 at least.

Changed in mixxx:
importance: High → Medium

I'm working on it... I broke something in soundsourcemp3.cpp in the
merge from hell. The Header.duration struct is always empty, I'm not
sure why.

Note that the behaviour of parseHeader() has changed significantly
because it is no longer a static function. It is responsible for
opening it's own file handle and cleaning up after itself entirely
now.

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 4:39 AM, Pegasus <email address hidden> wrote:
> Public bug reported:
>
> Nearly all tracks in a (newly-scanned) library show 0:00 or a completely incorrect number for their duration in trunk r2410 and later. (r2410 was the ssplugins merge.) Regardless of what number is shown, when loaded, they all show 00:00 in the player (and playposition-based effects don't work.)
> This applies at least to FLAC, MP3, and WAV files and is a problem on Linux x86 and Windows x64 at least.
>
> ** Affects: mixxx
>     Importance: Medium
>     Assignee: Albert Santoni (gamegod)
>         Status: Confirmed
>
>
> ** Tags: info library
>
> ** Changed in: mixxx
>   Importance: High => Medium
>
> --
> All tracks show wrong duration in library, trunk >= r2410
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/586774
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of Mixxx
> Development Team, which is subscribed to Mixxx.
>

Albert Santoni (gamegod) wrote :

Fixed in r2412

Changed in mixxx:
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed

It's not totally fixed yet. Many MP3s still show 0:00 even after loading them. (In prior revisions, they'd show 0:00 in the library until you loaded them, then they were correct.)

Changed in mixxx:
status: Fix Committed → Confirmed

I'm still working on this. It's VBR MP3s that are busted. I don't
understand how the old code used to calculate the duration, it seems
like magic to me. (I reimplemented what the comments said the method
was but it doesn't work very well.) I'll need to look over the code a
few more times to figure it out, unless someone beats me to it.

> Fri, May 28, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Pegasus <email address hidden> wrote:
> It's not totally fixed yet. Many MP3s still show 0:00 even after loading
> them. (In prior revisions, they'd show 0:00 in the library until you
> loaded them, then they were correct.)
>
> ** Changed in: mixxx
>       Status: Fix Committed => Confirmed
>
> --
> All tracks show wrong duration in library, trunk >= r2410
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/586774
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of Mixxx
> Development Team, which is subscribed to Mixxx.
>

1.8 branch r2441 now just sets VBR MP3 files to a duration of -1, which the library now displays as '?' which Albert and I decided would be better than an estimate that could be waay off.

So this is a workaround for now. A fast way to get reasonable estimates needs to be added to SSMP3 in the future.

Changed in mixxx:
milestone: 1.8.0 → none
Changed in mixxx:
status: Confirmed → Triaged
RJ Skerry-Ryan (rryan) on 2010-10-05
Changed in mixxx:
status: Triaged → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers