Parsing iTunes XML file may fail due to incorrect encoded input

Bug #501916 reported by RAFFI TEA on 2009-12-31
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Mixxx
Medium
RJ Skerry-Ryan

Bug Description

The iTunes library XML declares that it uses utf-8 encoding. However, on my system the XML file also contains characters that are not valid utf-8 (these were windows-1251 characters in my case). In such a case, Mixxx/QT cannot import the iTunes library.

This is a well-known bug in QT, see http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-4923

You can bypass the problem by editing the iTunes XML file, that is, change the encoding in the header to whatever you use on your system.

If you need my iTunes XMl file, feel free to ask.

######################################################################
Debug: [Main]: Unimplemented AbstractXmlTrackModel constructor
Debug: [Main]: ITunesLibrary=[ "D:\Tobias\Privat\Musik\iTunes\iTunes Music Libra
ry.xml" ]
Error FODC0002 in tag:trolltech.com,2007:QtXmlPatterns:QIODeviceVariable:u, at l
ine 66884, column 118: Encountered incorrectly encoded content.
Error XPDY0002 in file:///D:/Tobias/MixxxBuilds/features_sqlite/mixxx/dist/mixxx
.exe, at line 1, column 1: The focus is undefined.
Debug: [Main]: Library::slotShowTrackModel QSortFilterProxyModel(0x42f48e0)
Debug: [Main]: WTrackTableView::loadTrackModel() QSortFilterProxyModel(0x42f48e0
#########################################################################

RJ Skerry-Ryan (rryan) wrote :

I'll take a look at this.

Changed in mixxx:
importance: Undecided → Medium
assignee: nobody → RJ Ryan (rryan)
milestone: none → 1.8.0
status: New → Fix Committed
status: Fix Committed → Confirmed
RJ Skerry-Ryan (rryan) wrote :

Could you please attach your iTunes XML (or email me if you prefer, <email address hidden>)?

Thanks very much,
RJ Ryan

RJ Skerry-Ryan (rryan) wrote :

Hey again Tobias, would you mind sending me your iTunes XML file? I haven't been able to find any examples of iTunes XML files that have the problem.

Thanks,
RJ Ryan

Here's my library. I hope you can reproduce the parsing errors, too.

My test system is Windows 7 32Bit (German) where Mixxx is compiled
against QT 4.6, Itunes 9

Good luck :-)

Tobias

Am 31.01.2010 00:00, schrieb RJ Ryan:
> Hey again Tobias, would you mind sending me your iTunes XML file? I
> haven't been able to find any examples of iTunes XML files that have the
> problem.
>
> Thanks,
> RJ Ryan
>

RJ Skerry-Ryan (rryan) wrote :

Hey Tobias,

What encoding can you change the file to to make it work? I tried windows-1251 and it still failed.

Thanks,
RJ

RAFFI TEA (raffitea) wrote :

IHey RJ,

I used <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ...>

Am 01.02.2010 03:09, schrieb RJ Ryan:
> Hey Tobias,
>
> What encoding can you change the file to to make it work? I tried
> windows-1251 and it still failed.
>
> Thanks,
> RJ
>

RJ Skerry-Ryan (rryan) wrote :

Hey Tobias,

I took a look and it looks like iTunes is confused as to what constitutes UTF-8 :). Anyway, I added a workaround that first loads the XML and converts it to UTF-8 manually, then loads it. I'm hoping that iTunes always sets the encoding to UTF-8, though that might not be a fair assumption. In any case, this should work now for you.

Thanks for the bug report,
RJ

Changed in mixxx:
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed
RJ Skerry-Ryan (rryan) on 2010-10-05
Changed in mixxx:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers