Massive memory leak during library scan caused by this mp3 file

Bug #403586 reported by Arru on 2009-07-23
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Albert Santoni

Bug Description

Library scan or rescan hangs when reaching this file, memory consumption increases by 100 MB or more per second. Memory bloat also occurs when file is dragged manually to play queue or playlist.

Mixxx 1.7.0 beta 2, 2007 MBP, OS X 10.5.7

Arru (arvid-r) wrote :

Doesn't appear to be a problem in Debian Testing (Squeeze) Linux. 2.53GHz, 1GB RAM.

Albert Santoni (gamegod) on 2009-07-29
Changed in mixxx:
status: New → Confirmed
Albert Santoni (gamegod) wrote :

Backtrace so I don't lose this....

Albert Santoni (gamegod) wrote :

The bug is in libid3tag, not Mixxx itself. We're going to upgrade the version of libid3tag we ship with Mixxx, which will solve the problem. I was able to successfully reproduce your problem Arru, and solve it by upgrading libid3tag. This will be fixed in our 1.7.0 final release. Thanks for your great bug reporting and for uploading the mp3!


Cross-post from my mixxx-devel message for reference:

Did some poking at the OS X memory leak bug that occurs with a specific MP3 [1], and it looks like it's actually a libid3tag bug. Mixxx was spinning inside a libid3tag function, and for maybe the first time ever, it wasn't our fault! :)
The Debian/Ubuntu guys recently patched their version of libid3tag with a fix for some invalid UTF-16 string problem. The backtrace I was seeing from Mixxx showed libid3tag spinning inside a UTF-16 parsing function, so I gave the patched Ubuntu version a shot on my Mac and the problem magically went away. This explains why Sean didn't see the problem on Debian, as his version of libid3tag was already patched.

So the fix is to please use this version of libid3tag for building Windows and OS X binaries:

I have already applied the important two dpatches that are inside the debian/patches directory to save you the hassle. The third patch was just a typo fix in a genre, so I didn't bother with it.


Changed in mixxx:
status: Confirmed → Invalid
importance: Undecided → Medium
Albert Santoni (gamegod) wrote :

Fixing our bundled libid3tag.

Changed in mixxx:
assignee: nobody → Albert Santoni (gamegod)
milestone: none → 1.7.0

Confirmed on Windows x64, fixed with the utf16 patch.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers