MadGraph Tutorial "run output" Error

Bug #1900239 reported by Diogo Franco Graça Pires on 2020-10-17
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
MadGraph5_aMC@NLO
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Hi!

I am on a Mac and just downloaded MadGraph and started the tutorial.
While on the 3rd step "c) How to run the MadEvent output", I encountered this error:

******************
>done
INFO: Update the dependent parameter of the param_card.dat
Generating 10000 events with run name run_01
survey run_01
INFO: compile directory
compile Source Directory
Using random number seed offset = 21
INFO: Running Survey
Creating Jobs
Working on SubProcesses
INFO: P1_gg_ttx
Error detected in "generate_events run_01"
write debug file /Users/diogopires/Desktop/MG5_aMC_v2_8_1/MY_FIRST_MG5_RUN/run_01_tag_1_debug.log
If you need help with this issue please contact us on https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo
str : A compilation Error occurs when trying to compile /Users/diogopires/Desktop/MG5_aMC_v2_8_1/MY_FIRST_MG5_RUN/SubProcesses/P1_gg_ttx.
 The compilation fails with the following output message:
     gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -w -c symmetry.f -I../../Source/
     gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -w -c idenparts.f -I../../Source/
     gfortran -o gensym symmetry.o idenparts.o -L../../lib/ -lmodel -lgeneric -lpdf -lc++ -mmacosx-version-min=10.8
     ld: library not found for -lc++
     collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
     make: *** [gensym] Error 1

 Please try to fix this compilations issue and retry.
 Help might be found at https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo.
 If you think that this is a bug, you can report this at https://bugs.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo
quit
******************

How can proceed in order to solve this?

Thank you for your help!

Diogo

Download full text (4.2 KiB)

Did you follow the instruction of this page?

https://cp3.irmp.ucl.ac.be/projects/madgraph/wiki/Installation <https://cp3.irmp.ucl.ac.be/projects/madgraph/wiki/Installation>

Cheers,

Olivier

> On 17 Oct 2020, at 12:46, Diogo Franco Graça Pires <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Public bug reported:
>
> Hi!
>
> I am on a Mac and just downloaded MadGraph and started the tutorial.
> While on the 3rd step "c) How to run the MadEvent output", I encountered this error:
>
> ******************
>> done
> INFO: Update the dependent parameter of the param_card.dat
> Generating 10000 events with run name run_01
> survey run_01
> INFO: compile directory
> compile Source Directory
> Using random number seed offset = 21
> INFO: Running Survey
> Creating Jobs
> Working on SubProcesses
> INFO: P1_gg_ttx
> Error detected in "generate_events run_01"
> write debug file /Users/diogopires/Desktop/MG5_aMC_v2_8_1/MY_FIRST_MG5_RUN/run_01_tag_1_debug.log
> If you need help with this issue please contact us on https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo
> str : A compilation Error occurs when trying to compile /Users/diogopires/Desktop/MG5_aMC_v2_8_1/MY_FIRST_MG5_RUN/SubProcesses/P1_gg_ttx.
> The compilation fails with the following output message:
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -w -c symmetry.f -I../../Source/
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -w -c idenparts.f -I../../Source/
> gfortran -o gensym symmetry.o idenparts.o -L../../lib/ -lmodel -lgeneric -lpdf -lc++ -mmacosx-version-min=10.8
> ld: library not found for -lc++
> collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [gensym] Error 1
>
> Please try to fix this compilations issue and retry.
> Help might be found at https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo.
> If you think that this is a bug, you can report this at https://bugs.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo
> quit
> ******************
>
> How can proceed in order to solve this?
>
> Thank you for your help!
>
> Diogo
>
> ** Affects: mg5amcnlo
> Importance: Undecided
> Status: New
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to
> MadGraph5_aMC@NLO.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1900239
>
> Title:
> MadGraph Tutorial "run output" Error
>
> Status in MadGraph5_aMC@NLO:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> Hi!
>
> I am on a Mac and just downloaded MadGraph and started the tutorial.
> While on the 3rd step "c) How to run the MadEvent output", I encountered this error:
>
> ******************
>> done
> INFO: Update the dependent parameter of the param_card.dat
> Generating 10000 events with run name run_01
> survey run_01
> INFO: compile directory
> compile Source Directory
> Using random number seed offset = 21
> INFO: Running Survey
> Creating Jobs
> Working on SubProcesses
> INFO: P1_gg_ttx
> Error detected in "generate_events run_01"
> write debug file /Users/diogopires/Desktop/MG5_aMC_v2_8_1/MY_FIRST_MG5_RUN/run_01_tag_1_debug.log
> If you need help with this issue please contact us on https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo
> str : A compilation Error occurs when trying to c...

Read more...

Dear Olivier,

Yes: gfortran has been installed, xcode's dev tools as well. Any ideas on what might be causing this and how I can solve it?

Thanks,

Diogo

Dear Olivier,

I have just brew upgraded gcc to its newest version (10.2.0), which also includes gfortran.
It seems to have solved the problem!

Thanks for the help!
Best,

Diogo

Changed in mg5amcnlo:
status: New → Fix Released

We do not advised to use gcc from brew on Mac since this is not the default compiler on Mac and therefore prevent you to use a lot of precompile code (like ROOT) which are precompile for clang and not for gcc).

But you are free to use gcc if you want obviously.

Cheers,

Olivier
> On 17 Oct 2020, at 15:40, Diogo Franco Graça Pires <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Dear Olivier,
>
> I have just brew upgraded gcc to its newest version (10.2.0), which also includes gfortran.
> It seems to have solved the problem!
>
> Thanks for the help!
> Best,
>
> Diogo
>
> ** Changed in: mg5amcnlo
> Status: New => Fix Released
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to
> MadGraph5_aMC@NLO.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1900239
>
> Title:
> MadGraph Tutorial "run output" Error
>
> Status in MadGraph5_aMC@NLO:
> Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> Hi!
>
> I am on a Mac and just downloaded MadGraph and started the tutorial.
> While on the 3rd step "c) How to run the MadEvent output", I encountered this error:
>
> ******************
>> done
> INFO: Update the dependent parameter of the param_card.dat
> Generating 10000 events with run name run_01
> survey run_01
> INFO: compile directory
> compile Source Directory
> Using random number seed offset = 21
> INFO: Running Survey
> Creating Jobs
> Working on SubProcesses
> INFO: P1_gg_ttx
> Error detected in "generate_events run_01"
> write debug file /Users/diogopires/Desktop/MG5_aMC_v2_8_1/MY_FIRST_MG5_RUN/run_01_tag_1_debug.log
> If you need help with this issue please contact us on https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo
> str : A compilation Error occurs when trying to compile /Users/diogopires/Desktop/MG5_aMC_v2_8_1/MY_FIRST_MG5_RUN/SubProcesses/P1_gg_ttx.
> The compilation fails with the following output message:
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -w -c symmetry.f -I../../Source/
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -w -c idenparts.f -I../../Source/
> gfortran -o gensym symmetry.o idenparts.o -L../../lib/ -lmodel -lgeneric -lpdf -lc++ -mmacosx-version-min=10.8
> ld: library not found for -lc++
> collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [gensym] Error 1
>
> Please try to fix this compilations issue and retry.
> Help might be found at https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo.
> If you think that this is a bug, you can report this at https://bugs.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo
> quit
> ******************
>
> How can proceed in order to solve this?
>
> Thank you for your help!
>
> Diogo
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+bug/1900239/+subscriptions

Dear Olivier,

Thanks for the quick replies.

I have a question if you'll allow me to ask it here:

Supposing a generated a simple "e+e- > jj" event. Would it be possible to use MadGraph in order to trace back a given hadron (from one of the jets) to its correspondent original quark? For instance, if from this event I had two jets, and a given pion belonged to one of the jets, is there a way to find out if this pion "came from" the quark or the antiquark?

PS: I should tell you as well that through Pythia alone this is not possible by design.

Thank you for your help!

Diogo

Since we do not do the hadronization, it really matters of the parton-shower code that you use for the hadronization. So clearly if you use Pythia the answer is no (and in general the answer should be no since you have pion which are coming from both quark)

Cheers,

Olivier

> On 17 Oct 2020, at 17:10, Diogo Franco Graça Pires <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Dear Olivier,
>
> Thanks for the quick replies.
>
> I have a question if you'll allow me to ask it here:
>
> Supposing a generated a simple "e+e- > jj" event. Would it be possible
> to use MadGraph in order to trace back a given hadron (from one of the
> jets) to its correspondent original quark? For instance, if from this
> event I had two jets, and a given pion belonged to one of the jets, is
> there a way to find out if this pion "came from" the quark or the
> antiquark?
>
> PS: I should tell you as well that through Pythia alone this is not
> possible by design.
>
> Thank you for your help!
>
> Diogo
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to
> MadGraph5_aMC@NLO.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1900239
>
> Title:
> MadGraph Tutorial "run output" Error
>
> Status in MadGraph5_aMC@NLO:
> Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> Hi!
>
> I am on a Mac and just downloaded MadGraph and started the tutorial.
> While on the 3rd step "c) How to run the MadEvent output", I encountered this error:
>
> ******************
>> done
> INFO: Update the dependent parameter of the param_card.dat
> Generating 10000 events with run name run_01
> survey run_01
> INFO: compile directory
> compile Source Directory
> Using random number seed offset = 21
> INFO: Running Survey
> Creating Jobs
> Working on SubProcesses
> INFO: P1_gg_ttx
> Error detected in "generate_events run_01"
> write debug file /Users/diogopires/Desktop/MG5_aMC_v2_8_1/MY_FIRST_MG5_RUN/run_01_tag_1_debug.log
> If you need help with this issue please contact us on https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo
> str : A compilation Error occurs when trying to compile /Users/diogopires/Desktop/MG5_aMC_v2_8_1/MY_FIRST_MG5_RUN/SubProcesses/P1_gg_ttx.
> The compilation fails with the following output message:
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -w -c symmetry.f -I../../Source/
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -w -c idenparts.f -I../../Source/
> gfortran -o gensym symmetry.o idenparts.o -L../../lib/ -lmodel -lgeneric -lpdf -lc++ -mmacosx-version-min=10.8
> ld: library not found for -lc++
> collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [gensym] Error 1
>
> Please try to fix this compilations issue and retry.
> Help might be found at https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo.
> If you think that this is a bug, you can report this at https://bugs.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo
> quit
> ******************
>
> How can proceed in order to solve this?
>
> Thank you for your help!
>
> Diogo
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+bug/1900239/+subscriptions

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers