Bug in Mailman version 2.1.14 - system crash

Bug #700580 reported by Robert Tyler
8
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
GNU Mailman
Low
Mark Sapiro

Bug Description

Bug in Mailman version 2.1.14
We're sorry, we hit a bug!
Please inform the webmaster for this site of this problem. Printing of traceback and other system information has been explicitly inhibited, but the webmaster can find this information in the Mailman error logs.

Server is running Kernel 2.6.18-194.26.1.el5PAE Cpanel Version: 11.28.64 - Cpanel just a upgrade the other night. This is the only thing that has changes in the last several weeks.

This error shows up on some lists but not others. On this server I have 2 lists in the same account and one list works the other does not.

On another server - identical to this one one account has 3 lists ... 2 lists show the error message and have crashed and one does not..

I do not know if this is a security problem or not, but I will mark it is until otherwise notified.

Revision history for this message
Mark Sapiro (msapiro) wrote :

What pages (listinfo, admin, admindb, ...) give this error?

This is a generic error issued whenever one of Mailman's CGIs throws an uncaught exception. In order to know what the problem is, we need to see the tracebacks and other information from Mailman's error log. The log is /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/logs/error .

I sincerely doubt that this is a security issue, but I will leave this marked private pending more information.

Changed in mailman:
assignee: nobody → Mark Sapiro (msapiro)
status: New → Incomplete
Revision history for this message
Robert Tyler (robert-nativegeorgian) wrote : Re: [Bug 700580] Re: Bug in Mailman version 2.1.14 - system crash

Hi Mark,s the error message when you try to go into the Admin interface. The
Email service, does not work at all. If you send an email to the list, the
email is not bounced, sent or anything else. It drops into a blackhole.

My tech support guys say that it is a permissions problem caused by the Cpanel
upgrade but a premissions change did not resolve the issue across all of my
servers. I have quite a few servers all setup identically, but not all
accounts are showing the problem.

The problem started when Cpanel made a major upgrade.

Thanks.

On Sunday 09 January 2011 10:50:32 am Mark Sapiro wrote:
> What pages (listinfo, admin, admindb, ...) give this error?
>
> This is a generic error issued whenever one of Mailman's CGIs throws an
> uncaught exception. In order to know what the problem is, we need to see
> the tracebacks and other information from Mailman's error log. The log
> is /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/logs/error .
>
> I sincerely doubt that this is a security issue, but I will leave this
> marked private pending more information.
>
> ** Changed in: mailman
> Status: New => Incomplete
>
> ** Changed in: mailman
> Assignee: (unassigned) => Mark Sapiro (msapiro)

Revision history for this message
Mark Sapiro (msapiro) wrote :

>the error message when you try to go into the Admin interface.

Does that mean the other pages such as listinfo and admindb do not show the error?

If it is permissions, running "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/check_perms -f" as root may fix it.

We still need to see the entries from /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/logs/error to be able to diagnose this any further.

Revision history for this message
Robert Tyler (robert-nativegeorgian) wrote :

Would you like to examine the site yourself? You might be able to find out
more info that way.

I will be more than happy to give you access so you can do that.

On Monday 10 January 2011 02:20:16 pm Mark Sapiro wrote:
> >the error message when you try to go into the Admin interface.
>
> Does that mean the other pages such as listinfo and admindb do not show
> the error?
>
> If it is permissions, running
> "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/check_perms -f" as root may fix
> it.
>
> We still need to see the entries from
> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/logs/error to be able to diagnose
> this any further.

Revision history for this message
Robert Tyler (robert-nativegeorgian) wrote :

On Monday 10 January 2011 02:20:16 pm Mark Sapiro wrote:
> >the error message when you try to go into the Admin interface.
>
> Does that mean the other pages such as listinfo and admindb do not show
> the error?
>
> If it is permissions, running
> "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/check_perms -f" as root may fix
> it.
>
> We still need to see the entries from
> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/logs/error to be able to diagnose
> this any further.

Mark, also you can call me if you would like to.

404-394-7557
Robert Tyler

Revision history for this message
Robert Tyler (robert-nativegeorgian) wrote :
  • error Edit (277.8 KiB, text/plain; charset="iso 8859-15"; name="error")

Mark,
Here is the error file.

On Monday 10 January 2011 02:20:16 pm Mark Sapiro wrote:
> >the error message when you try to go into the Admin interface.
>
> Does that mean the other pages such as listinfo and admindb do not show
> the error?
>
> If it is permissions, running
> "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/check_perms -f" as root may fix
> it.
>
> We still need to see the entries from
> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/logs/error to be able to diagnose
> this any further.

Revision history for this message
Robert Tyler (robert-nativegeorgian) wrote :

When you go to Cpanel then click on mailing lists it brings up Mailman.

When you click on the Modify selection which would normally take you to the
Administration main page for Mailman, it gives you the error and goes no
further. It will not allow anything to happen after this point.
You cannot access the list any other way as it gives you this error.

I have not tried your "Fix " yet as I want you to be able to see the entire
problem before I fix it.

On Monday 10 January 2011 02:20:16 pm Mark Sapiro wrote:
> >the error message when you try to go into the Admin interface.
>
> Does that mean the other pages such as listinfo and admindb do not show
> the error?
>
> If it is permissions, running
> "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/check_perms -f" as root may fix
> it.
>
> We still need to see the entries from
> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/logs/error to be able to diagnose
> this any further.

Revision history for this message
Robert Tyler (robert-nativegeorgian) wrote :
Download full text (280.4 KiB)

Mark,
 no matter how you try to access the list, it give
you the error message. At this one Account there are three mailnam lists and
two of the three do not work - giving the error, but one list does work just
fine?? go figure this out?

I do not know if you received the attached error message, so I have included
it in this email.

Jan 09 17:06:26 2009 mailmanctl(16469): PID unreadable
in: /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/data/master-qrunner.pid
Jan 09 17:06:26 2009 mailmanctl(16469): [Errno 2] No such file or
directory: '/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/data/master-qrunner.pid'
Jan 09 17:06:26 2009 mailmanctl(16469): Is qrunner even running?
Jan 14 21:35:23 2009 mailmanctl(8133): No child with pid: 24683
Jan 14 21:35:23 2009 mailmanctl(8133): [Errno 3] No such process
Jan 14 21:35:23 2009 mailmanctl(8133): Stale pid file removed.
Jan 16 21:26:32 2009 mailmanctl(8876): PID unreadable
in: /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/data/master-qrunner.pid
Jan 16 21:26:32 2009 mailmanctl(8876): [Errno 2] No such file or
directory: '/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/data/master-qrunner.pid'
Jan 16 21:26:32 2009 mailmanctl(8876): Is qrunner even running?
Mar 30 21:30:11 2009 (8205) send_digests() failed: [Errno 20] Not a
directory: '/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/hams_totr-radio.org/attachments'
Mar 30 21:30:12 2009 (8202) Archive file access failure:
 /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/hams_totr-radio.org.mbox/hams_totr-radio.org.mbox
[Errno 20] Not a
directory: '/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/hams_totr-radio.org.mbox/hams_totr-radio.org.mbox'
Mar 30 21:30:12 2009 (8202) Uncaught runner exception: [Errno 20] Not a
directory: '/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/hams_totr-radio.org.mbox/hams_totr-radio.org.mbox'
Mar 30 21:30:12 2009 (8202) Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 120,
in _oneloop
    self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 191,
in _onefile
    keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Queue/ArchRunner.py", line
73, in _dispose
    mlist.ArchiveMail(msg)
  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py", line
200, in ArchiveMail
    self.__archive_to_mbox(msg)
  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py", line
169, in __archive_to_mbox
    mbox = self.__archive_file(afn)
  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py", line
157, in __archive_file
    return Mailbox.Mailbox(open(afn, 'a+'))
IOError: [Errno 20] Not a
directory: '/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/hams_totr-radio.org.mbox/hams_totr-radio.org.mbox'

Mar 30 21:30:12 2009 (8202) SHUNTING:
1237897097.696759+fa8e955796272319529eca121a88a1442692fda4
Mar 30 21:30:12 2009 (8202) Archive file access failure:
 /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/totr-newsletter_totr-radio.org.mbox/totr-newsletter_totr-radio.org.mbox
[Errno 20] Not a
directory: '/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailma...

Revision history for this message
Mark Sapiro (msapiro) wrote :

It appears that some list's archive directories are missing. If you do

ls -l /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/

there should be a LISTNAME and a LISTNAME.mbox directory for every list. Did someone try to remove the archives for some lists? What do you have?

Note the missing list posts have been shunted, and after the archive issue is fixed, they can be unshunted by running

/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/unshunt

but before doing that, it is advisable to examine the files in /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/qfiles/shunt with /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/show_qfiles as there may be old, no longer relevant posts and/or multiple reposts.

Depending on what you want to do and what you have available, you may restore the missing directories from a backup that has them, or if you have the /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox file and just the /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME directory is missing, you can run

/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/arch LISTNAME

to recreate the HTML archive, or to create a new, empty archive from scratch, do the following

mkdir /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox
chgrp mailman /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox
chmod 2775 /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox
touch /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox
chmod 664 /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox
/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/arch LISTNAME

Note, please let me know if there is anything confidential about the list names in the error log. If not, I will mark this report public.

Revision history for this message
Robert Tyler (robert-nativegeorgian) wrote :

Mark,

No one tried to do anything as far as removing files etc. The only
maintenance was the install of a new version of cpanel. As I have said
before, this has occured across several servers.

Doing the ls - all files were in tact but the listing showed that the mailman
lists that are broken, show 0 bytes in the files for mbox and regular files.

I will do a backup from tape for the files in question and will follow your
instructions from below in this email.

Thank you for your help.

Robert Tyler

On Monday 10 January 2011 04:44:52 pm Mark Sapiro wrote:
> It appears that some list's archive directories are missing. If you do
>
> ls -l /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/
>
> there should be a LISTNAME and a LISTNAME.mbox directory for every list.
> Did someone try to remove the archives for some lists? What do you have?
>
> Note the missing list posts have been shunted, and after the archive
> issue is fixed, they can be unshunted by running
>
> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/unshunt
>
> but before doing that, it is advisable to examine the files in
> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/qfiles/shunt with
> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/show_qfiles as there may be old,
> no longer relevant posts and/or multiple reposts.
>
> Depending on what you want to do and what you have available, you may
> restore the missing directories from a backup that has them, or if you
> have the
> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.
>mbox file and just the
> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME directory
> is missing, you can run
>
> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/arch LISTNAME
>
> to recreate the HTML archive, or to create a new, empty archive from
> scratch, do the following
>
> mkdir /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox
> chgrp mailman
> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox chmod
> 2775 /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox
> touch
> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.
>mbox chmod 664
> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.
>mbox /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/arch LISTNAME
>
> Note, please let me know if there is anything confidential about the
> list names in the error log. If not, I will mark this report public.

Revision history for this message
Mark Sapiro (msapiro) wrote :

I have marked this invalid because it appears that it is not a bug but rather a result of the archives file system being somehow corrupted by a cPanel upgrade. I have also changed it from private/security to public.

security vulnerability: yes → no
visibility: private → public
Changed in mailman:
importance: Undecided → Low
status: Incomplete → Invalid
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Bug attachments