Installer crashes after name setup

Bug #40666 reported by Øivind Hoel on 2006-04-21
200
This bug affects 43 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
live-installer d-i module
Medium
Unassigned
ubiquity (Ubuntu)
High
Colin Watson

Bug Description

I've just tested the kubuntu 6.06 beta "Desktop cd" and figured I'd go through the installer. After reporting my name (I couldn't use "Øivind" - had to revert to "Oivind" - there should at the very least be a message telling people this instead of giving them the silent treatment;) - the installer crashed, but managed spawning partman, parted_server, autopartition, partman_newlayout, perform_recipe before dying. Not sure if this has wiped my partition table yet, but I doubt it still lives...

This is a nasty bug ;)

Espresso log is at http://appelsinjuice.org/espresso

Øivind Hoel (eruin) wrote :

My mistake, this shouldn't be filed against live-installer

Changed in live-installer:
status: Unconfirmed → Rejected
Colin Watson (cjwatson) wrote :

I'm un-duplicating this and dropping the severity to represent the bug about the installer crashing on non-ASCII names. The partition table corruption is bug 40464 (and fixed).

Changed in espresso:
assignee: nobody → kamion
Colin Watson (cjwatson) wrote :

Fix in my bzr branch. I think this only affects ubiquity-frontend-kde, although I've yet to check to make sure.

Changed in ubiquity:
status: Unconfirmed → Fix Committed
Colin Watson (cjwatson) wrote :

I've checked ubiquity-frontend-gtk, and the problem doesn't seem to affect that frontend, so this upload should be sufficient.

ubiquity (0.99.66) dapper; urgency=low

  [ Colin Watson ]
  * Make for loops in debian/rules exit properly on errors.
  * Allow defining UBIQUITY_NO_GTK or UBIQUITY_NO_KDE during the build to
    avoid making use of GTK- or KDE-specific build-dependencies
    (respectively). This is useful to cut down on the number of
    build-dependencies needed when testing on a live CD.
  * If ubiquity is started with no arguments, try both the gtkui and kde-ui
    frontends rather than just gtkui.
  * Explicitly return Unicode strings from ubiquity.misc.get_string(),
    simplifying the KDE frontend.
  * Add a no-op anna-install shim for localechooser, ensuring that locales
    are generated.
  * Ignore errors from locale.setlocale(), although with the above
    anna-install fix I hope this should not often be necessary (closes:
    Malone #41132).
  * KDE frontend:
    - Fix set_username() to really set the username, not the full name.
    - Fix automatic filling in of values on user information page.
    - Don't crash on non-ASCII names (closes: Malone #40666).
  * GTK and KDE frontends:
    - Make the determination of whether to allow going forward from the user
      information page a bit more reliable.
  * Remove gettext use from ubiquity.misc.part_label(); we'll make those
    translatable via debconf in the future, but for now this breaks the KDE
    frontend.
  * Reconfigure linux-restricted-modules-$KVER as well as linux-image-$KVER
    (closes: Malone #40547).
  * Automatic update of included source packages: partman-base
    78ubuntu3.

  [ Jonathan Riddell ]
  * KDE Frontend:
    - Remove broken import (closes: Malone #41169).

 -- Colin Watson <email address hidden> Tue, 25 Apr 2006 00:12:45 +0100

Changed in ubiquity:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Barry Drake (b-drake) wrote :

This is the bug I'm trying to report in Ubuntu - not Kubuntu. Both amd64 and i386 isos are affected in Yakkety. I reported it a few days ago, but no one confirmed it, hence I'm reporting it now I've found this confirmed bug with the same problem.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers