XRANDR_2 was not provided by any .service issue with Cinnamon Display settings

Bug #1716690 reported by Jesse
16
This bug affects 3 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Linux Mint
New
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

For many years I have never had an issue with connecting multiple displays in Linux Mint and using the 'Display Settings'. In 18.2 when I try to apply settings I am seeing this error:

---------------------------------------------
Failed to apply configuration
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.cinnamon.SettingsDaemon.XRANDR_2 was not provided by any .service files
---------------------------------------------

running Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon on a Toshiba Satellite laptop with VGA out. This is a new continous issue of which I have no idea how to fix. My current solution is to use ARandR which is able to configure my 2 displays but I have to reset it every time I reboot.

Issue frequency: any time I use Display settings.

Revision history for this message
Jesse (jesse-boyd) wrote :
Revision history for this message
Manu Wilhelm (manu.wilhelm) wrote :

I am also having this problem... thanks for the ARandR tip. Anything one have anything more permanent?

Revision history for this message
Jesse (jesse-boyd) wrote :

SOLVED: @Manu I did find the problem.
Somehow, and I'm not sure which process triggered this but in my /home/'your username'/.config/autostart folder there was an arandr?.desktop file. (not sure the exact filename but delete or stow away in trash anything with arandr

DELETE this file and your display preferences will work perfectly as before. Reboot or log out required before opening up display preferences again.

Revision history for this message
Volker Meyer (vlhm) wrote :
Download full text (3.7 KiB)

Ran in the same problem:
- bad file is named 'cinnamon-settings-daemon-xrandr.desktop', deleting this solved the issue.
- System is Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit
- Graphics Intel Sky Lake integrated with two monitors

The bad file has a modification date of 2018-02-01.
On that day I updated quite a lot packages.
Maybe someone can see, if one of these packages is the bad one.

Upgraded the following packages:
chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra (63.0.3239.84-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) to 64.0.3282.119-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
cpp-5 (5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5) to 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.6
curl (7.47.0-1ubuntu2.5) to 7.47.0-1ubuntu2.6
firefox (57.0.4+linuxmint1+sylvia) to 58.0+linuxmint2+sylvia
firefox-locale-en (57.0.4+linuxmint1+sylvia) to 58.0+linuxmint2+sylvia
fwupdate (0.5-2ubuntu5) to 0.5-2ubuntu7
g++-5 (5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5) to 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.6
gcc-5 (5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5) to 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.6
gcc-5-base (5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5) to 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.6
gcc-5-base:i386 (5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5) to 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.6
gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-4.0 (2.18.5-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) to 2.18.6-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
gir1.2-webkit2-4.0 (2.18.5-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) to 2.18.6-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
lib32stdc++6 (5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5) to 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.6
libasan2 (5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5) to 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.6
libatomic1 (5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5) to 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.6
libcc1-0 (5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5) to 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.6
libcilkrts5 (5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5) to 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.6
libcurl3 (7.47.0-1ubuntu2.5) to 7.47.0-1ubuntu2.6
libcurl3-gnutls (7.47.0-1ubuntu2.5) to 7.47.0-1ubuntu2.6
libfwup0 (0.5-2ubuntu5) to 0.5-2ubuntu7
libgcab-1.0-0 (0.7-1) to 0.7-1ubuntu0.1
libgcc-5-dev (5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5) to 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.6
libgfortran3 (5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5) to 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.6
libgomp1 (5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5) to 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.6
libitm1 (5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5) to 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.6
libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18 (2.18.5-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) to 2.18.6-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
liblsan0 (5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5) to 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.6
libmpx0 (5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5) to 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.6
libquadmath0 (5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5) to 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.6
libruby2.3 (2.3.1-2~16.04.5) to 2.3.1-2~16.04.6
libstdc++-5-dev (5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5) to 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.6
libstdc++6 (5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5) to 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.6
libstdc++6:i386 (5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5) to 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.6
libtasn1-6 (4.7-3ubuntu0.16.04.2) to 4.7-3ubuntu0.16.04.3
libtasn1-6:i386 (4.7-3ubuntu0.16.04.2) to 4.7-3ubuntu0.16.04.3
libtsan0 (5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5) to 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.6
libubsan0 (5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5) to 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.6
libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37 (2.18.5-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) to 2.18.6-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
rsync (3.1.1-3ubuntu1.1) to 3.1.1-3ubuntu1.2
ruby2.3 (2.3.1-2~16.04.5) to 2.3.1-2~16.04.6
thunderbird (1:52.5.0+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) to 1:52.6.0+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
thunderbird-gnome-support (1:52.5.0+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) to 1:52.6.0+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
thunderbird-locale-en (1:52.5.0+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) to 1:52.6.0+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
thunderbird-locale-en-us (1:52.5.0+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) to 1:52.6.0+build1-0ubuntu0....

Read more...

Revision history for this message
Cmesoar (cmesoar) wrote :

Thank you Jesse!!
I had the same problem after a freeze, deleted the file and all good to go now. Thanks again!!
(Now if someone could just fix the random 18.3 Cinnamon random freezes....!!!!!!!!!)

Revision history for this message
Charles T Ingram (rkdian342) wrote :

I found that enabling "Cinnamon Settings Daemon - xrandr" in "Startup Application" Fixes this BUG.

Revision history for this message
WhiteG (whiteg) wrote :

As Charles said re-enabling "Cinnamon Settings Daemon - xrandr" in "Startup Application" is fixing this bug.

Revision history for this message
FAHIM SHAHRIAR (code-marshal) wrote :

Thank both Jesse and Charles, for their suggestion.
Both procedure are fixing this bug.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers