[Dell Computer Corporation Inspiron 600m] suspend/resume failure

Reported by eugenemarshall on 2009-11-02
44
This bug affects 6 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Linux
Confirmed
Medium
linux (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned

Bug Description

Computer locks up going into or coming out of Suspend mode (not sure which).

The bug report tells me I've had a serious kernel error. Sorry I don't have more info. This has started occurring only after I upgraded from Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10. I'm sure it has something to do with one of those new packages, but I don't know which.

 Power options were set to Suspend after a time and each time (3x now) the computer has frozen and I've needed to do a hard reset (hold power button down for five seconds) to get it to reboot. Maybe if I gave it more time to come out of Suspend (I wait like 20 seconds) it might do so without the hard reset, but I don't know currently. I dealt with this by changing the power options such that it does not suspend when plugged in (which it always is).

This may be the same bug as 428961, 428963, and/or 431138 -- not sure.

ProblemType: KernelOops
Annotation: This occured during a previous suspend and prevented it from resuming properly.
Architecture: i386
AudioDevicesInUse:
 USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
 /dev/snd/controlC0: eugenemarshall 1562 F.... pulseaudio
CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
Card0.Amixer.info:
 Card hw:0 'I82801DBICH4'/'Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with STAC9752,53 at irq 5'
   Mixer name : 'SigmaTel STAC9752,53'
   Components : 'AC97a:83847652'
   Controls : 38
   Simple ctrls : 24
Date: Mon Nov 2 12:34:48 2009
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.10
ExecutablePath: /usr/share/apport/apportcheckresume
Failure: suspend/resume
HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=8041fbd1-9f57-4d95-872f-a22ae7d32970
InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python2.6
Lsusb:
 Bus 002 Device 002: ID 413c:8000 Dell Computer Corp. BC02 Bluetooth Adapter
 Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
 Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
 Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
 Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
MachineType: Dell Computer Corporation Inspiron 600m
Package: linux-image-2.6.31-14-generic 2.6.31-14.48
PccardctlIdent:
 Socket 0:
   no product info available
 Socket 1:
   no product info available
PccardctlStatus:
 Socket 0:
   no card
 Socket 1:
   no card
ProcCmdLine: root=UUID=a4d06996-3456-4f48-aaaf-c61d47dd5e04 ro quiet splash
ProcCmdline: /usr/bin/python /usr/share/apport/apportcheckresume
ProcEnviron: PATH=(custom, no user)
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.31-14.48-generic
RelatedPackageVersions:
 linux-backports-modules-2.6.31-14-generic N/A
 linux-firmware 1.24
RfKill:
 0: hci0: Bluetooth
  Soft blocked: no
  Hard blocked: no
SourcePackage: linux
Tags: resume suspend
Title: [Dell Computer Corporation Inspiron 600m] suspend/resume failure
Uname: Linux 2.6.31-14-generic i686
UserGroups:

dmi.bios.date: 01/18/2005
dmi.bios.vendor: Dell Computer Corporation
dmi.bios.version: A16
dmi.board.name: 0Y8643
dmi.board.vendor: Dell Computer Corporation
dmi.chassis.type: 8
dmi.chassis.vendor: Dell Computer Corporation
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnDellComputerCorporation:bvrA16:bd01/18/2005:svnDellComputerCorporation:pnInspiron600m:pvr:rvnDellComputerCorporation:rn0Y8643:rvr:cvnDellComputerCorporation:ct8:cvr:
dmi.product.name: Inspiron 600m
dmi.sys.vendor: Dell Computer Corporation
---
AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.
Architecture: i386
AudioDevicesInUse:
 USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
 /dev/snd/controlC0: eugenemarshall 1718 F.... pulseaudio
 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p: eugenemarshall 1718 F...m pulseaudio
CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
Card0.Amixer.info:
 Card hw:0 'I82801DBICH4'/'Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with STAC9752,53 at irq 5'
   Mixer name : 'SigmaTel STAC9752,53'
   Components : 'AC97a:83847652'
   Controls : 38
   Simple ctrls : 24
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
EcryptfsInUse: Yes
HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=23c79223-9821-49cb-8582-27b7ea97acae
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release i386 (20100429)
Lsusb:
 Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
 Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
 Bus 002 Device 002: ID 413c:8000 Dell Computer Corp. BC02 Bluetooth Adapter
 Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
 Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
MachineType: Dell Computer Corporation Inspiron 600m
Package: linux (not installed)
PccardctlIdent:
 Socket 0:
   no product info available
 Socket 1:
   no product info available
PccardctlStatus:
 Socket 0:
   no card
 Socket 1:
   no card
ProcCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-23-generic root=UUID=a12b927d-1414-4349-bf9a-00caffab70c9 ro quiet splash
ProcEnviron:
 LANG=en_US.utf8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-23.37-generic 2.6.32.15+drm33.5
Regression: Yes
RelatedPackageVersions: linux-firmware 1.34.1
Reproducible: Yes
RfKill:
 0: hci0: Bluetooth
  Soft blocked: no
  Hard blocked: no
Tags: lucid suspend resume regression-release needs-upstream-testing
Uname: Linux 2.6.32-23-generic i686
UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare
dmi.bios.date: 01/18/2005
dmi.bios.vendor: Dell Computer Corporation
dmi.bios.version: A16
dmi.board.name: 0Y8643
dmi.board.vendor: Dell Computer Corporation
dmi.chassis.type: 8
dmi.chassis.vendor: Dell Computer Corporation
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnDellComputerCorporation:bvrA16:bd01/18/2005:svnDellComputerCorporation:pnInspiron600m:pvr:rvnDellComputerCorporation:rn0Y8643:rvr:cvnDellComputerCorporation:ct8:cvr:
dmi.product.name: Inspiron 600m
dmi.sys.vendor: Dell Computer Corporation

eugenemarshall (eugenemarshall) wrote :
Jeremy Foshee (jeremyfoshee) wrote :

Hi eugenemarshall,

This bug was reported a while ago and there hasn't been any activity in it recently. We were wondering if this is still an issue? Can you try with the latest development release of Ubuntu? ISO CD images are available from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/ .

If it remains an issue, could you run the following command from a Terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal). It will automatically gather and attach updated debug information to this report.

apport-collect -p linux 471872

Also, if you could test the latest upstream kernel available that would be great. It will allow additional upstream developers to examine the issue. Refer to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelMainlineBuilds . Once you've tested the upstream kernel, please remove the 'needs-upstream-testing' tag. This can be done by clicking on the yellow pencil icon next to the tag located at the bottom of the bug description and deleting the 'needs-upstream-testing' text. Please let us know your results.

Thanks in advance.

    [This is an automated message. Apologies if it has reached you inappropriately; please just reply to this message indicating so.]

tags: added: kernel-suspend
tags: added: needs-kernel-logs
tags: added: needs-upstream-testing
tags: added: kj-triage
Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete

AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.
Architecture: i386
AudioDevicesInUse:
 USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
 /dev/snd/controlC0: duncan 1606 F.... pulseaudio
CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
Card0.Amixer.info:
 Card hw:0 'I82801DBICH4'/'Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with STAC9750,51 at irq 5'
   Mixer name : 'SigmaTel STAC9750,51'
   Components : 'AC97a:83847650'
   Controls : 38
   Simple ctrls : 24
CurrentDmesg:
 [ 63.444281] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
 [ 73.696029] eth1: no IPv6 routers present
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=3d967901-5078-4a55-bde2-916a4929ed24
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release i386 (20100429)
Lsusb:
 Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
 Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
 Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
 Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
MachineType: Dell Computer Corporation Inspiron 600m
Package: linux (not installed)
PccardctlIdent:
 Socket 0:
   no product info available
 Socket 1:
   no product info available
PccardctlStatus:
 Socket 0:
   no card
 Socket 1:
   no card
ProcCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic root=UUID=ea5483a1-ad07-4fad-80e5-893da6de4bc6 ro quiet splash
ProcEnviron:
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-21.32-generic 2.6.32.11+drm33.2
Regression: No
RelatedPackageVersions: linux-firmware 1.34
Reproducible: Yes
RfKill:

Tags: lucid suspend resume needs-upstream-testing
Uname: Linux 2.6.32-21-generic i686
UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare
dmi.bios.date: 01/18/2005
dmi.bios.vendor: Dell Computer Corporation
dmi.bios.version: A16
dmi.board.name: 0Y8643
dmi.board.vendor: Dell Computer Corporation
dmi.chassis.type: 8
dmi.chassis.vendor: Dell Computer Corporation
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnDellComputerCorporation:bvrA16:bd01/18/2005:svnDellComputerCorporation:pnInspiron600m:pvr:rvnDellComputerCorporation:rn0Y8643:rvr:cvnDellComputerCorporation:ct8:cvr:
dmi.product.name: Inspiron 600m
dmi.sys.vendor: Dell Computer Corporation

tags: added: apport-collected

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

duncand (ddobbel) wrote : Lspci.txt

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

duncand (ddobbel) wrote : UdevDb.txt

apport information

apport information

apport information

duncand (ddobbel) wrote :

Hi--don't know if I did all the apport-collect stuff correctly, but I am still having the resume problem. Laptop suspends just fine, but will not resume--or rather, when I hit the power button to resume the cd drive and hard drive seem to wake up, but display remains black. Have to do a hard shutdown.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Triaged
importance: Undecided → Medium
spinlock (andrew-d-dixon) wrote :

I am having an identical problem on my Dell Inspiron 600m. I am running the latest version of Ubuntu (10.4). Have there been any updates on this issue recently? Thanks.

NickA (sdnick484-gmail) wrote :

I am experiencing this bug as well on my brother's Dell 600m; I'm fairly confident the bug is related to kernel mode setting (KMS) on the ATI card. Following the DebuggingKernelSuspend instructions on the Wiki, I see:
<<<<<
[ 0.537451] PM: Resume from disk failed.
[ 0.537474] registered taskstats version 1
[ 0.537716] Magic number: 0:53:725
[ 0.537720] hash matches /build/buildd/linux-2.6.32/drivers/base/power/main.c:433
>>>>

Looking at main.c, all that code is related to drm (which is related to KMS). I will try disabling modesetting and see if the problem re-occurs.

NickA (sdnick484-gmail) wrote :

Ok, so as expected, disabling mode setting (sudo echo options radeon modeset=0 > /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf) did resolve my suspend issue. Unfortunately it comes with a major hit to graphics performance (e.g. Hulu is now unwatchable even in a window). Perhaps a newer kernel may resolve this issue, but for the moment it looks like you have the choice of good graphics performance and no suspend OR bad graphics performance and working suspend.

apport information

description: updated

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

I've uploaded my apport data... I'm sorry if this is too late to be of use. I somehow managed to overlook the request for my data from a few months ago. I'll try to newest kernel and see if that solves the problem, as mentioned above.

This bug is a duplicate of 471871, by the way.

Thanks for all of your work toward making Ubuntu rock. Well, rock more.

OK, I have now installed the mainline kernel, 2.6.35-999-generic, per the instructions at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelMainlineBuilds. And...

I still cannot resume from a Suspend. So I guess that means the problem exists in the mainline kernel and not the Ubuntu specific stuff?

PS I should note that I CAN resume from Hibernate, though it is very slow and a bit buggy. But it does work.

I'll remove the needs-upstream-testing tag. Thanks again.

tags: removed: needs-upstream-testing

One further note:

I've also tried adding the repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa and using the video drivers, X, and so on from there, because some threads on Ubuntuforums suggest this as a solution, since the problem seems to be related to the video card.

It didn't help with the suspend problem, however.

spinlock (andrew-d-dixon) wrote :

Hi everyone,

How can we get some traction getting this bug fixed? The issue has been identified as the KMS functionality in the Radeon driver. This feature is marked as experimental and comes with a warning not to turn it on unless you know what you're doing because it can break your system. I just don't think this feature should be turned on until it has been properly debugged so that it actually works.

It's just pretty discouraging that this bug has been around for 4 releases and there isn't even anyone working on it yet. We've identified the exact feature in the exact module that is causing this bug and I'm a competent kernel developer could patch this bug in a week, but I just don't think anyone at Canonical cares about this one. :(

Two years on a bug that hangs your system hard on commonly used functionality should be rated higher than "medium."

NickA (sdnick484-gmail) wrote :

Spinlock, although I've stopped running Ubuntu on that system, I'd be interested in testing any patches for this bug if you have the time to write one. This bug is also present in Debian Testing (what the system is now running), and although I don't think I could patch the bug myself, I can probably forward port or back port the patch a kernel revision or two. Actually, the best bet to get this fixed globally would be to pass any patches upstream as it's clearly a general kernel bug, and not something specific to certain downstream distros. This is assuming it's entirely a kernel bug, and that there's no X component that will also need patching.

duncand (ddobbel) wrote :

It would be great if this could be addressed somehow. I've tried a number of different distributions and all have the same issue--no ability to resume from suspend. It's no good to have a laptop that you effectively can't put to sleep. Is there something that a novice like me can do?

Download full text (6.5 KiB)

Yes, the workaround for this bug is something that a novice can do. When
I'm back at my laptop I'll write out the procedure and add it to this bug
report. One warning: your graphics will suffer. But, I've found this to be a
small price to pay for suspend.
On Nov 4, 2010 2:31 PM, "duncand" <email address hidden> wrote:
> It would be great if this could be addressed somehow. I've tried a
> number of different distributions and all have the same issue--no
> ability to resume from suspend. It's no good to have a laptop that you
> effectively can't put to sleep. Is there something that a novice like
> me can do?
>
> --
> [Dell Computer Corporation Inspiron 600m] suspend/resume failure
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/471872
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu: Triaged
>
> Bug description:
> Computer locks up going into or coming out of Suspend mode (not sure
which).
>
> The bug report tells me I've had a serious kernel error. Sorry I don't
have more info. This has started occurring only after I upgraded from Ubuntu
9.04 to 9.10. I'm sure it has something to do with one of those new
packages, but I don't know which.
>
> Power options were set to Suspend after a time and each time (3x now) the
computer has frozen and I've needed to do a hard reset (hold power button
down for five seconds) to get it to reboot. Maybe if I gave it more time to
come out of Suspend (I wait like 20 seconds) it might do so without the hard
reset, but I don't know currently. I dealt with this by changing the power
options such that it does not suspend when plugged in (which it always is).
>
> This may be the same bug as 428961, 428963, and/or 431138 -- not sure.
>
> ProblemType: KernelOops
> Annotation: This occured during a previous suspend and prevented it from
resuming properly.
> Architecture: i386
> AudioDevicesInUse:
> USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
> /dev/snd/controlC0: eugenemarshall 1562 F.... pulseaudio
> CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
> Card0.Amixer.info:
> Card hw:0 'I82801DBICH4'/'Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with STAC9752,53 at irq 5'
> Mixer name : 'SigmaTel STAC9752,53'
> Components : 'AC97a:83847652'
> Controls : 38
> Simple ctrls : 24
> Date: Mon Nov 2 12:34:48 2009
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.10
> ExecutablePath: /usr/share/apport/apportcheckresume
> Failure: suspend/resume
> HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=8041fbd1-9f57-4d95-872f-a22ae7d32970
> InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python2.6
> Lsusb:
> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 413c:8000 Dell Computer Corp. BC02 Bluetooth
Adapter
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> MachineType: Dell Computer Corporation Inspiron 600m
> Package: linux-image-2.6.31-14-generic 2.6.31-14.48
> PccardctlIdent:
> Socket 0:
> no product info available
> Socket 1:
> no product info available
> PccardctlStatus:
> Socket 0:
> no card
> Socket 1:
> no card
> ProcCmdLine: root=UUID=a4d06996-3456-4f48-aaaf-c61d47dd5e04 ro quiet
splas...

Read more...

spinlock (andrew-d-dixon) wrote :

@duncand: NickA comment #23 gives the workaround. To sum it up, you need to create a file (/etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf) with a single command in it. This will tell your video driver not to load the kms module (kms stands for kernel messaging service). This fixes the suspend problem but it does degrade the video quality. I think the trade-off is worth it to be able to close the lid to my laptop and have it go into suspend, then open the lid to my laptop and have it come back perfectly every time.

OK, now here's how to implement the fix.

    $ echo "echo options radeon modeset=0 > /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf" > suspend.sh
    $ chmod ugo+x suspend.sh
    $ sudo ./suspend.sh

The first command creates a shell script called "suspend.sh" that will create the file "/etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf" with the command "echo options radeon modeset=0" in it.

The second command make "suspend.sh" executable.

The third command executes "suspend.sh" as the superuser. You need to be the superuser to edit files in the "/etc/modprobe.d/" directory.

That's it! You should now shutdown and restart your laptop and you will be able to suspend without any problems. As I said, the video will look pretty bad and your desktop icons will be ugly but I've found the system to be very usable this way. If you ever want to go back, just delete "/etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf" as the superuser and your system is back the way it started.

HTH,
Andy

spinlock (andrew-d-dixon) wrote :

OK. I finally have a good fix for this issue. I've recompiled the kernel with the Radeon driver compiled into the kernel (not as a module) without the KMS. This boots into a system that goes to sleep just fine and the graphics look sharp too. The desktop icons are a bit big but they look great and there aren't the zebra stripes that I saw with the module configuration.

I can upload a working kernel or the configuration is anyone wants it.

Andy

Download full text (6.9 KiB)

I'd be interested in trying it out, if you upload it. Thanks so much for
the work!

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 1:21 AM, spinlock <email address hidden> wrote:

> OK. I finally have a good fix for this issue. I've recompiled the kernel
> with the Radeon driver compiled into the kernel (not as a module)
> without the KMS. This boots into a system that goes to sleep just fine
> and the graphics look sharp too. The desktop icons are a bit big but
> they look great and there aren't the zebra stripes that I saw with the
> module configuration.
>
> I can upload a working kernel or the configuration is anyone wants it.
>
> Andy
>
> --
> [Dell Computer Corporation Inspiron 600m] suspend/resume failure
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/471872
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in The Linux Kernel: Unknown
> Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu: Triaged
>
> Bug description:
> Computer locks up going into or coming out of Suspend mode (not sure
> which).
>
> The bug report tells me I've had a serious kernel error. Sorry I don't
> have more info. This has started occurring only after I upgraded from
> Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10. I'm sure it has something to do with one of those new
> packages, but I don't know which.
>
> Power options were set to Suspend after a time and each time (3x now) the
> computer has frozen and I've needed to do a hard reset (hold power button
> down for five seconds) to get it to reboot. Maybe if I gave it more time to
> come out of Suspend (I wait like 20 seconds) it might do so without the hard
> reset, but I don't know currently. I dealt with this by changing the power
> options such that it does not suspend when plugged in (which it always is).
>
> This may be the same bug as 428961, 428963, and/or 431138 -- not sure.
>
> ProblemType: KernelOops
> Annotation: This occured during a previous suspend and prevented it from
> resuming properly.
> Architecture: i386
> AudioDevicesInUse:
> USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
> /dev/snd/controlC0: eugenemarshall 1562 F.... pulseaudio
> CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
> Card0.Amixer.info:
> Card hw:0 'I82801DBICH4'/'Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with STAC9752,53 at irq 5'
> Mixer name : 'SigmaTel STAC9752,53'
> Components : 'AC97a:83847652'
> Controls : 38
> Simple ctrls : 24
> Date: Mon Nov 2 12:34:48 2009
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.10
> ExecutablePath: /usr/share/apport/apportcheckresume
> Failure: suspend/resume
> HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=8041fbd1-9f57-4d95-872f-a22ae7d32970
> InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python2.6
> Lsusb:
> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 413c:8000 Dell Computer Corp. BC02 Bluetooth
> Adapter
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> MachineType: Dell Computer Corporation Inspiron 600m
> Package: linux-image-2.6.31-14-generic 2.6.31-14.48
> PccardctlIdent:
> Socket 0:
> no product info available
> Socket 1:
> no product info available
> PccardctlStatus:
>...

Read more...

NickA (sdnick484-gmail) wrote :

I would be interested in the .config as well. What kernel version are you using? I previously tried building a 2.6.34 kernel with radeon as a module and later built in, but neither made a difference. I suspected at the time we would need to wait for some userspace changes as well, and I'm glad to hear that may not be the case.

spinlock (andrew-d-dixon) wrote :

Hey everyone,

Here's the config. I've also built the .debs for people who don't have the ability to compile the packages themselves but I don't know where I could upload them. Maybe someone with a ppa on launchpad could help us out with this?

@NickA: there really wasn't any additional configuration. I did have to compile a few features in addition to the radeon driver into the kernel (they were modules and I couldn't bake in the radeon driver if they were not baked in as well). Other than that, I simply left off the KMS feature. And, it works great. I'm surprised by how much better the graphics are with the radeon driver compiled into the kernel and I'm tempted to keep rolling custom kernels even after this bug is fixed if baking in the video drivers makes this much of a difference.

FYI - the kernel version is 2.6.32-25.45:

    spinlock@sendack:~$ uname -a
    Linux sendack 2.6.32-25-sendack #45 SMP Tue Nov 9 17:38:15 PST 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

Andy

NickA (sdnick484-gmail) wrote :

I can confirm that the custom kernel with radeon driver compiled in does work, but oddly enough performance seems to be less than with the driver compiled as a module and modesetting enabled (which breaks suspend). Regardless, the performance is still better than if I compile radeon as a module and disable modesetting (to make suspend-resume work), so for the moment I'll also continue with using custom kernels on this system. For the record I'm now running Debian Testing ("Squeeze") on it, and the kernel I used is based on 2.6.32-27. If I have some time over the holiday, I may play around with this some more and see what settings, kernel, etc. gives the best performance.

Changed in linux:
status: Unknown → Confirmed
Changed in linux:
importance: Unknown → Medium

This bug was filed against a series that is no longer supported and so is being marked as Won't Fix. If this issue still exists in a supported series, please file a new bug.

This change has been made by an automated script, maintained by the Ubuntu Kernel Team.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Won't Fix
spinlock (andrew-d-dixon) wrote :

This has actually been fixed in newer kernels. Can we mark this bug as "Fixed" rather than "Won't Fix"?

Wirawan Purwanto (wirawan0) wrote :

@spinlock: Which new kernel has fixed it? Maybe I can then custom compile my own kernel. Also, that statement "unsupported series" is really sloppy. Come on--I have this problem on 10.04 which is supposed to be Long Term Support. Where is the support then? >:-(

spinlock (andrew-d-dixon) wrote :

I actually don't need to custom compile the kernel any more. I'm running the stock Ubuntu kernel on the 10.4 Net Book Remix:

> spinlock@sendack:~/highr$ uname -a
> Linux sendack 2.6.32-32-generic #62-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 20 21:54:21 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

And, I totally agree that "unsupported series" is pretty weak. My guess is that they're talking about the Inspiron 600m rather than the version of Ubuntu. But, this is still a missed opportunity to understand what changes hang certain chipsets and which are OK. We've done a ton of work just on this bug thread identifying exactly which modules cause the problems and then identifying when the issue was fixed. You'd think someone would want to understand that a bit better, maybe put a comment in the kernel source, and go on their merry way knowing they've prevented this from popping up again. As it stands now, I feel like any kernel upgrade might break my machine.

Wirawan Purwanto (wirawan0) wrote :

Hmm... @spinlock and others:

1) I understand that the original bug report was filed against 9.10. OK, that version is no longer supported (almost). But 10.x are still!

2) I want to report that installing the latest kernel version (2.6.32-33-generic) on my 600m laptop does not fix the problem. It still won't wake up properly from sleep. Moreover the linux bugzilla does not show further activity. Apparently we the Dell 600m owner will be left in the dark. :-(

Wirawan

spinlock (andrew-d-dixon) wrote :

@Wirawan:

I guess my first question is, is your system hanging because of the Radeon module? Also, what flavor of Ubuntu are your running? I'm on the net book remix because it works the best on this old laptop. There might be some differences between this and other flavors of Ubuntu.

Have you tried compiling a kernel with the Radeon driver in the kernel rather than as a module? I posted a config that I used to roll a working kernel earlier in this thread. I even saw some small improvements to the graphics by having everything built into the kernel rather than loaded as a module.

Let me know if you need any help rolling the kernel. Git is brilliant for kernel development and makes it really easy to stay up to date with the latest kernel even when you're building your own.

Hello Customer

CHRISTMAS SALE!!!

> By purchasing one of our watches you get not only a super excellence creation and present for Christmas for an extremely low price, you also obtain a full manufacturer's defects guarantee. Wonderful gift for your family and friends for Christmas and New Year! So you have nothing to peril by buying a watch you have for all time dreamed of as we assurance you only high class goods and we answer for their prime class.

> Come, chose, get – it’s that simple in Prestige to find presents for each and everyone for Christmas and New Year holidays. We offer goods only for those of you who prefer and like the goods of good quality.

-------------------------
"About two weeks ago, I ordered two watches. A Rolex Daytona, and a Vacheron Constantin. I found your web site by chance, and decided to take a gamble and order these two watches. To my surprise and delight, my watches arrived in just under a week. The watches are amazing. We checked the Daytona against a real one, and you cant tell the difference. First class all the way. I just received my third watch, an A. Lange & Sohne!!!! The watch is fantastic!!! You can use me as a reference, if you would like. Just use my initials."
Thanks - Everything's great!
                     Mary Bruce
-------------------------

CLICK HERE --->>> http://newwatchorder.ru

15% DISCOUNT FOR EVERY $250 OR MORE ORDER!!!

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.