Linaro Continuous Integration

CI kernel fails to reboot successfully

Reported by Deepti B. Kalakeri on 2011-09-27
14
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Linaro CI
Medium
Deepti B. Kalakeri

Bug Description

The kernel hwpack that comes out of the continuous integration, seems to work fine for booting the hwpack and other operations. But the reboot command fails to works and it hangs with the following message:

The system is going down for reboot NOW!
root@linaro-nano:~# init: tty4 main process (3205) killed by TERM signal
init: tty5 main process (3211) killed by TERM signal
init: auto-serial-console main process (3213) killed by TERM signal
init: tty2 main process (3215) killed by TERM signal
init: tty3 main process (3218) killed by TERM signal
init: tty6 main process (3224) killed by TERM signal
init: openvt main process (3276) killed by TERM signal
init: plymouth-upstart-bridge main process (3341) terminated with status 1
[ OK ]ing all remaining processes to terminate...
[ OK ] processes ended within 1 seconds....
[ OK ]onfiguring network interfaces...
[ OK ]ctivating swap...
[ OK ]ounting weak filesystems...
 * Will now restart
[ 2216.347167] Restarting system.

Thanks!!!
Deepti.

Changed in linaro-ci:
importance: Undecided → Medium
assignee: nobody → Deepti B. Kalakeri (deeptik)
milestone: none → 2011.09
Changed in linaro-ci:
milestone: 2011.09 → 2011.10
Mounir Bsaibes (mounir-bsaibes) wrote :

Hi Deepti, is this problem specific to a particular board? which board are you using?

Deepti B. Kalakeri (deeptik) wrote :

Hello Mounir,

This problem is seen on all the boards.
I think it could be the way I am building or the contents of the hwpacks.
Please have a look at the build steps here lines 72- 76:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~linaro-infrastructure/linaro-ci/lci-build-tools/view/head:/jenkins_kernel_build_inst

and the hwpacks for example can be used from

http://ci.linaro.org/kernel_hwpack/linux-linaro-3_0/linux-linaro-3.0_panda-omap2plus/hwpack_linaro-panda_20111014-1056_b221_armel_supported.tar.gz

Thanks!!!
Deepti.

Alexander Sack (asac) wrote :

deepti mentioned in mail thread that this problem goes away if kernel is build with thumb2. since all our userspace is built with thumb2 we should build all CI kernels with thumb2 for the time being (until we have a thumb2-less userspace rootfs).

Deepti B. Kalakeri (deeptik) wrote :

I need help on enabling the THUMB2 option automatically for CI builds.
What methods can I follow for the same ?

Thank!!!
Deepti.

Paul Larson (pwlars) wrote :

If you are asking about the options, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/linaro-ci/+bug/859473/comments/35
If you are asking about the mechanics of how to do it automatically, you'll simply want to remove the lines for those config options, append
CONFIG_ARM_THUMB=y
CONFIG_THUMB2_KERNEL=y
to the .config that get's generated from running make defconfig (or whatever you happen to run), and then run 'make oldconfig'
I can't recall, but it *might* be possible to enable them by just appending them to the end. I seem to recall that at some point in the past it just used the latest setting in the .config for any given config option.

Thank you Paul,
Deepti, is this what you are asking for?
Mounir

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 1:00 AM, Paul Larson <email address hidden>wrote:

> If you are asking about the options, see
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/linaro-ci/+bug/859473/comments/35
> If you are asking about the mechanics of how to do it automatically, you'll
> simply want to remove the lines for those config options, append
> CONFIG_ARM_THUMB=y
> CONFIG_THUMB2_KERNEL=y
> to the .config that get's generated from running make defconfig (or
> whatever you happen to run), and then run 'make oldconfig'
> I can't recall, but it *might* be possible to enable them by just appending
> them to the end. I seem to recall that at some point in the past it just
> used the latest setting in the .config for any given config option.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/860556
>
> Title:
> CI kernel fails to reboot successfully
>
> Status in Linaro CI:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> The kernel hwpack that comes out of the continuous integration, seems
> to work fine for booting the hwpack and other operations. But the
> reboot command fails to works and it hangs with the following message:
>
> The system is going down for reboot NOW!
> root@linaro-nano:~# init: tty4 main process (3205) killed by TERM signal
> init: tty5 main process (3211) killed by TERM signal
> init: auto-serial-console main process (3213) killed by TERM signal
> init: tty2 main process (3215) killed by TERM signal
> init: tty3 main process (3218) killed by TERM signal
> init: tty6 main process (3224) killed by TERM signal
> init: openvt main process (3276) killed by TERM signal
> init: plymouth-upstart-bridge main process (3341) terminated with status 1
> [ OK ]ing all remaining processes to terminate...
> [ OK ] processes ended within 1 seconds....
> [ OK ]onfiguring network interfaces...
> [ OK ]ctivating swap...
> [ OK ]ounting weak filesystems...
> * Will now restart
> [ 2216.347167] Restarting system.
>
> Thanks!!!
> Deepti.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/linaro-ci/+bug/860556/+subscriptions
>

--
Mounir Bsaibes
Project Manager

Follow Linaro.org:
facebook.com/pages/Linaro/155974581091106
http://twitter.com/#!/linaroorg
http://www.linaro.org/linaro-blog <http://www.linaro.org/linaro-blog>

Deepti B. Kalakeri (deeptik) wrote :

yeah, this is one of the solutions.
But this is not working as the make oldconfig rewrites the .config which means the THUMB2 option is removed and it goes back to the configuration that was before making the changes.

Is there any other way to change the same.

Thanks!!!
Deepti.

Mounir Bsaibes (mounir-bsaibes) wrote :

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Deepti B. Kalakeri <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> yeah, this is one of the solutions.
> But this is not working as the make oldconfig rewrites the .config which
> means the THUMB2 option is removed and it goes back to the configuration
> that was before making the changes.
>
> Is there any other way to change the same.
>

I would say instead of run 'make oldconfig'
just run make
after you do the changes Paul had mentioned.

>
> Thanks!!!
> Deepti.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/860556
>
> Title:
> CI kernel fails to reboot successfully
>
> Status in Linaro CI:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> The kernel hwpack that comes out of the continuous integration, seems
> to work fine for booting the hwpack and other operations. But the
> reboot command fails to works and it hangs with the following message:
>
> The system is going down for reboot NOW!
> root@linaro-nano:~# init: tty4 main process (3205) killed by TERM signal
> init: tty5 main process (3211) killed by TERM signal
> init: auto-serial-console main process (3213) killed by TERM signal
> init: tty2 main process (3215) killed by TERM signal
> init: tty3 main process (3218) killed by TERM signal
> init: tty6 main process (3224) killed by TERM signal
> init: openvt main process (3276) killed by TERM signal
> init: plymouth-upstart-bridge main process (3341) terminated with status 1
> [ OK ]ing all remaining processes to terminate...
> [ OK ] processes ended within 1 seconds....
> [ OK ]onfiguring network interfaces...
> [ OK ]ctivating swap...
> [ OK ]ounting weak filesystems...
> * Will now restart
> [ 2216.347167] Restarting system.
>
> Thanks!!!
> Deepti.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/linaro-ci/+bug/860556/+subscriptions
>

--
Mounir Bsaibes
Project Manager

Follow Linaro.org:
facebook.com/pages/Linaro/155974581091106
http://twitter.com/#!/linaroorg
http://www.linaro.org/linaro-blog <http://www.linaro.org/linaro-blog>

Paul Larson (pwlars) wrote :

Did you remember to specify the ARCH? I'm assuming you are building on x86.

Deepti B. Kalakeri (deeptik) wrote :

Yeah, Paul I am specifying ARCH=arm. I am building it on x86 machine using CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- option.

Thanks!!!
Deepti.

Deepti B. Kalakeri (deeptik) wrote :

When I built the kernel with the following two config options , the reboot issue seemed to fix.
"CONFIG_ARCH_OMAP2=n"
"CONFIG_THUMB2_KERNEL=y"

Thanks!!!
Deepti.

Changed in linaro-ci:
status: New → Fix Committed
Dave Martin (dave-martin-arm) wrote :

@Deepti

Can you check whether that works without CONFIG_THUMB2_KERNEL=y? If that is needed, there must be some additional bug (other than the issues already known about)

Deepti B. Kalakeri (deeptik) wrote :

Dave,

I tried kernel build with "CONFIG_ARCH_OMAP2=n" and the rebooting problem seems to be fixed.
The config file contained something like this below:

grep THUMB /boot/config-3.0.5-758-g051c523-omap2plus-linaro-omap
CONFIG_ARM_THUMB=y
CONFIG_ARM_THUMBEE=y
# CONFIG_THUMB2_KERNEL is not set

grep "CONFIG_ARCH_OMAP2" /boot/config-3.0.5-758-g051c523-omap2plus-linaro-omap
CONFIG_ARCH_OMAP2PLUS=y
CONFIG_ARCH_OMAP2PLUS_TYPICAL=y
# CONFIG_ARCH_OMAP2 is not set

seems like disabling the OMAP2 Config solves the reboot issue and not by enabling the THUMB2 option.
So, CONFIG_ARCH_OMAP2 is something which needs to be disabled when we intend to build a kernel with omap2plus_defconfig ?
What should be the approach for the Kernel CI work, should we build the kernel by disabling "CONFIG_ARCH_OMAP2" option ?
Or should we have a kernel builds with THUMB2 enabled as well ?

Thanks!!!
Deepti.

Changed in linaro-ci:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers