Useragent says lernid is Safari

Bug #793805 reported by Michael X
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Lernid
Wishlist
Mohammad AbuShady

Bug Description

The useragent causes lernid to be recognised as safari, which can be troublesome with some sites. Please consider changing it to 'Lernid/0.8.x' or something :)

Related branches

Revision history for this message
John S. Gruber (jsjgruber) wrote :

Thanks for the bug report, Michael.

It is probably related to Lernid's use of webkit. I'll take a look sometime to see if is under our control.

Revision history for this message
John S. Gruber (jsjgruber) wrote :

Michael, I forgot to ask, what sites are troubled? There may be downside to changing it if there are sites that don't want to talk to an unknown browser or need to know that, as a web browser, it behaves like Safari.

Revision history for this message
Michael X (crazedpsyc) wrote :

Hmm, yeah, I forgot about that. The only site i've noticed a problem with so far is https://duckduckgo.com/ which automatically adds some links like "Add to Safari", which should pop up some instructions for adding to safari, which obviously won't work in lernid. I know there are several other sites which do things like that, and even a few which try to use javascript unique to safari.

Changed in lernid:
importance: Undecided → Wishlist
Revision history for this message
Nathan Handler (nhandler) wrote :

I agree. Changing the useragent string would probably be a good idea. It shouldn't cause problems (and if it does, it is the site's issue), and it will allow lernid to properly identify itself to sites.

Revision history for this message
Mohammad AbuShady (coalwater) wrote :

Can someone provide useragent suggestions for whoever might decide to work on this bug.

Revision history for this message
John S. Gruber (jsjgruber) wrote :

I think this may be the current User Agent definition:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686) AppleWebKit/534.26+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/534.26+

If I'm right, it says Mozilla/5.0 first, so a web site refusing to deal with it because of the Safari product ID is doing so intentionally.

If we can figure out how to change the user-agent (property of webview_settings attached to the webview in the Browser widget?) we should probably, at least, add lernid/versionnumber to this list of products at the end of the user-agent field. I'm not sure that would do anything to help the problem our reporter is having.

Revision history for this message
Mohammad AbuShady (coalwater) wrote :

I added a branch that replaces the 'Safari/534.26+' portion of the string with 'lernid VERSION' where version is the current version according to the lernidconfig file, if further changes are needed i would like to know

Changed in lernid:
assignee: nobody → Mohammad AbuShady (coalwater)
status: New → In Progress
Revision history for this message
Mohammad AbuShady (coalwater) wrote :

ok, i noticed that the proposed was 'lernid/VERSION' not 'lernid VERSION', updated my branch

Changed in lernid:
status: In Progress → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers