Translations have changed from complete to need review

Bug #584035 reported by Chris Woollard
12
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Launchpad itself
Invalid
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

The English (United Kingdom) translations were all complete. For some reason 940 of them have changed from being "Complete" to "Needs review".

The translations are listed at the below url.

https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu-manual

Please advise. This is the second time this has happened.

Thanks
Chris

Curtis Hovey (sinzui)
affects: launchpad → rosetta
Revision history for this message
Данило Шеган (danilo) wrote :

It says there were no changes since May 14th. Perhaps it happened due to the same bug 548375. ubuntu-manual has since changed settings not to import PO files from the branch which should work-around the issue. Can you confirm this happened after this setting was changed? If so, please re-open the bug and we'll look into it.

Changed in rosetta:
status: New → Incomplete
Revision history for this message
Chris Woollard (cwoollard) wrote :

I have confirmed with Kevin <godbyk> that importing of po files was disabled.

-> [16:23] <godbyk> I did change the settings to NOT import the po files.
-> [16:24] <godbyk> (It was suggested that that would fix the problem we had earlier.)

Thanks
Chris

Revision history for this message
Kevin Godby (godbyk) wrote :

I'm not sure if this is relevant to this bug or not, but in case it is:

We recently received an email stating that the translation template in the lucid-e1 branch has been updated.[1] However, I know of no reason why it should have been updated by Launchpad.

As far as I can tell, the commits to the lucid-e1 branch should not impact or modify the translation template at all.[2]

Can you explain why Launchpad has updated the translation template?

 [1] https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-manual/msg01916.html
 [2] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-manual/ubuntu-manual/main/changes

Revision history for this message
Chris Woollard (cwoollard) wrote :

I think that this bug got lost because the status was incomplete.

We did update it.

I have now changed the status again. So hopefully if will get picked up.

Changed in rosetta:
status: Incomplete → New
Revision history for this message
Henning Eggers (henninge) wrote :

Yes, I would not have looked at the bug without the status change.

Unfortunately I can not fully reconstruct why a template was imported in to lucid-e1. Indeed there are not any revisions in the branch that would coincide with the upload as reported in the email. It may be possible, though, that somebody requested a one-time-upload which would refresh the template without regards of new revisions pushed.

Revision history for this message
Данило Шеган (danilo) wrote :

I am sorry to be so slow in responding: we get a lot of bug mail, so it's hard to see only responses without the bug status being changed (I've also been away for a month).

It seems the settings are changed on lucid-e2, but not on lucid-e1:
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu-manual/lucid-e1/+translations-settings
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu-manual/lucid-e2/+translations-settings

"lucid-e1" is marked as being the translations focus now (change it using "Change permissions" link on https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu-manual — I have a fix which will clarify that this is where you can change the "focus of translations" and it should land soon)

As far as the suggestion of what's going on, I can only think of the same thing as Henning: somebody requested a one-time import for that particular branch. Also, I am wondering if what you want is to have lucid-e2 as the default translation series (it will then show up on the translations homepage for ubuntu-manual).

I guess it might be best to figure this out live if it happens again. Henning or me should be on #launchpad on FreeNode IRC during regular European working hours, and with nicknames "henninge" and "danilos". I'd like to get this solved so it doesn't bother you, but I don't know what's causing it and it's much easier to look through logs when it's happened recently.

Changed in rosetta:
status: New → Incomplete
Revision history for this message
Kevin Godby (godbyk) wrote :

Thanks for the note about the lucid-e1 settings being incorrect. I've fixed this now.

We do still want lucid-e1 to be the translation focus. The lucid-e2 branch is the development focus, but it is very much in flux and would be a waste of the translators' time to have them try to keep up. lucid-e1 is in a writing freeze, so it's stable for the translators to work on (excepting this bug, of course).

If we encounter this problem in the future, I'll try to get someone's attention in #launchpad (if for no other reason than to give you a way to localize the timeframe in which the problem occurred).

Thanks for your help, Данило!

Revision history for this message
Данило Шеган (danilo) wrote :

We haven't seen this for a while, so getting it out of our bug queue.

Changed in launchpad:
status: Incomplete → Invalid
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers