shutdown turned into reboot

Bug #972722 reported by tex on 2012-04-03
24
This bug affects 5 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Laptop Mode Tools
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

After installing the package the regular shutdown is broken on a ThinkPad X220. When a shutdown is performed the device immedeately reboots after the shutdown is complete. Without the laptop-mode-tools package it works flawlessly.

this is a kernel acpi bug already reported on arch linux forums. Just
because lmt helps uncover the bug, you conclude lmt to be buggy.

sent fr0m a $martph0ne, excuse typ0s
On Apr 4, 2012 12:30 AM, "tex" <email address hidden> wrote:

> Public bug reported:
>
> After installing the package the regular shutdown is broken on a
> ThinkPad X220. When a shutdown is performed the device immedeately
> reboots after the shutdown is complete. Without the laptop-mode-tools
> package it works flawlessly.
>
> ** Affects: laptop-mode-tools
> Importance: Undecided
> Status: New
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to Laptop
> Mode Tools.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/972722
>
> Title:
> shutdown turned into reboot
>
> Status in Laptop Mode Tools:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> After installing the package the regular shutdown is broken on a
> ThinkPad X220. When a shutdown is performed the device immedeately
> reboots after the shutdown is complete. Without the laptop-mode-tools
> package it works flawlessly.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/laptop-mode-tools/+bug/972722/+subscriptions
>

tex (lkml) wrote :

I'm a user. If I install a package and something stops working of course I will blame this package.

However I'm not blaming you, on the contrary I'm happy about the quick reply. Thank you for your work and the explaination. But please excuse that I'm *not* following the arch linux forums.

Rafael P. (rafael-p) wrote :

The bug is also present on my Lenovo Thinkpad T420. I should add that it only happens when the computer is on battery power.
A workaround is to disable ehci_hcd module upon shutdown, but the bug should be fixed.
@Ritesh: if this bug is already reported, please provide a link to support your argument. I still think the bug should be followed on launchpad.

On Friday 08 June 2012 09:26 PM, Rafael P. wrote:
> The bug is also present on my Lenovo Thinkpad T420. I should add that it only happens when the computer is on battery power.
> A workaround is to disable ehci_hcd module upon shutdown, but the bug should be fixed.
> @Ritesh: if this bug is already reported, please provide a link to support your argument. I still think the bug should be followed on launchpad.

I haven't tracked down as to which part of the kernel causes the
problem. But here goes the list I could quickly dig.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=102178
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=36132

--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf
RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com
"Necessity is the mother of invention."

Tit Elmund (tit-elmund) wrote :

This bug also on my Lenovo B580.

Rafael P. (rafael-p) wrote :

Any news on this bug?

It used to affect my old Lenovo Thinkpad T420 and now is also affecting my new Lenovo Thinkpad T430.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.