Vias not connecting to zones in Eagle import

Bug #1835656 reported by Steven Falco on 2019-07-07
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
KiCad
Triaged
Medium
Unassigned

Bug Description

I am trying to import an Adafruit Eagle project into KiCAD 6 (built from the current tip of the 6.0 master tree).

I placed a copy of the Eagle files and the conversion here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6d5bqhsvwmjvta0/AACFjeWxfUAb73uTdmt5wNHNa?dl=0

The schematic looks pretty good, but there seems to be a problem with filled zones in the pcb. Specifically, there are a bunch of unrouted traces, where vias should be connected to a zone.

Also, if I select "Show filled areas of zones", the zones remain as just an outline rather than being colored in.

I posted this on the mailing list, and got a reply from Seth stating that it is a bug whereby "nets are not propagating".

Seth Hillbrand (sethh) wrote :

It looks like a few tracks are keeping their Eagle names for some reason.

Changed in kicad:
importance: Undecided → Medium
milestone: none → 6.0.0-rc1
status: New → Triaged
Steven Falco (stevenfalco) wrote :

I tried 5.1.2, but it appears to give the same results as 6.0. Zones don't fill, and vias in the zone are unconnected.

Please see the following folders in the dropbox link above:

'Adafruit PN532_Breakout_v1.6-using-6.0' (converted by KiCAD 6.0)

'Adafruit PN532_Breakout_v1.6-using-5.1.2' (converted by KiCAD 5.1.2)

I also tried a "tip of the 5.1 tree" build, but it looks the same as the other two.

Seth Hillbrand (sethh) on 2019-07-07
Changed in kicad:
milestone: 6.0.0-rc1 → 5.1.3
Seth Hillbrand (sethh) wrote :

@Steven - I just tested with v5.1.x tree and it seems to work fine.

Changed in kicad:
milestone: 5.1.3 → 6.0.0-rc1
Steven Falco (stevenfalco) wrote :

You are correct. My mistake. I forgot to type "b" to refill the zones. So, 5.1.3 is good, while 6.0.0-rc1 is bad.

There is however still one strange bit of behavior, even with 5.1.3. Please see the file Screenshot_20190707_205545.png in the Dropbox folder. There are four unrouted tracks. This is what I get immediately after importing the Eagle project and typing "b".

But, if I then save the board and schematic, and re-open the converted project in KiCAD 5.1.3, those four unrouted tracks are no longer present, as shown in Screenshot_20190707_205832.png.

Can you reproduce that quirk?

Steven Falco (stevenfalco) wrote :

I should add that the Adafruit Eagle project is a bit strange, because they apparently deliberately overlapped GND with two signal nets on the upper layer, so as to short out R5 and R6. I guess the idea is that one could cut the traces, and install the resistors if desired.

So I wouldn't consider KiCAD's behavior on those four traces significant. It goes away after close / re-open, and it is a pretty unusual way to jump out components.

Seth Hillbrand (sethh) wrote :

Can you post the image here. Dropbox links are ephemeral

Steven Falco (stevenfalco) wrote :

Screenshot_20190707_205545.png shows what the board looks like right after import. Please notice the 4 airwires.

Steven Falco (stevenfalco) wrote :

Screenshot_20190707_205832.png shows the board after closing the files and restarting KiCAD then reopening the files. Please notice that the airwires are no longer there.

tags: added: eagle import pcbnew
Jeff Young (jeyjey) on 2019-07-21
summary: - Eagle import in 6.0 broken
+ Vias not connecting to zones in Eagle import
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers