EESchema GAL Page Layout not rendering properly

Bug #1803637 reported by Chris Elliott on 2018-11-16
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
KiCad
Undecided
jean-pierre charras

Bug Description

In the current nightlies (November 2018) in EESchema the page layout isn't rendering properly on screen. Plotting to pdf looks ok. Current stable (5.0.1_4) renders on the screen fine.

Specifically:
* I have two elements that are supposed to be on the first page only, but show on all pages.
* On a 6-page schematic all the page numbers are 1/1 (not 1/6, 2/6, etc). (substitution of "%S/%N")
* Sheet name is blank. (substitution of "%P")
* Filename is blank. (substitution of "%F")

Latest version verified not working:
Application: kicad
Version: (6.0.0-rc1-dev-1198-gbcc8c6425), release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.4
    libcurl/7.61.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1 (WinSSL) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.6 libidn2/2.0.5 libpsl/0.20.2 (+libidn2/2.0.5) nghttp2/1.34.0
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
    Boost: 1.68.0
    OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
    Curl: 7.61.1
    Compiler: GCC 8.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
    USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
    USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
    KICAD_SPICE=ON

My custom page layout .wks file is attached (originally designed in 4.x)

Chris Elliott (sembazuru) wrote :
Chris Elliott (sembazuru) wrote :

Here is a screen capture of the title block area of page 2 of a 6 page schematic:

Chris Elliott (sembazuru) wrote :

Here is a screen capture of the title block area of the same page 2 of a 6 page schematic of the plotted pdf. This is what the previous screen shot should look like.

Changed in kicad:
milestone: none → 5.1.0
KiCad Janitor (kicad-janitor) wrote :

Fixed in revision acf696ca2d68d5f6002453b0640fb1a9faf6e27e
https://git.launchpad.net/kicad/patch/?id=acf696ca2d68d5f6002453b0640fb1a9faf6e27e

Changed in kicad:
status: New → Fix Committed
assignee: nobody → jean-pierre charras (jp-charras)
Chris Elliott (sembazuru) wrote :

I downloaded the latest nightly last night to verify the fix. The page 1 only elements rendering on all pages has been corrected, and the page number substitutions has been corrected.

But, the sheet name and the file name substitutions are still not working on screen.
I did also verify that plot to pdf still shows all the correct substitutions as always. I.E. that wasn't accidentally broken. ;-)

Tested on version:
Application: kicad
Version: (6.0.0-rc1-dev-1209-gf90ca7408), release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.4
    libcurl/7.61.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1 (WinSSL) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.6 libidn2/2.0.5 libpsl/0.20.2 (+libidn2/2.0.5) nghttp2/1.34.0
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
    Boost: 1.68.0
    OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
    Curl: 7.61.1
    Compiler: GCC 8.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
    USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
    USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
    KICAD_SPICE=ON

The commit 240051fb should fix these missing names, both in Eeschema and Pcbnew.

Chris Elliott (sembazuru) wrote :

I don't know how to see if that commit is applied to the nightly that I download. Sorry, but I'm not a developer. I just downloaded the latest nightly from here: http://downloads.kicad-pcb.org/windows/nightly/kicad-r11831.c539d6e0b-x86_64.exe

For the attached screenshot you can see the title block in my schematic the Sheet name and File name are blank, as well as the page layout editor with the definition of the page layout file for the title block area. You can see that "%P" and "%F" aren't getting substituted. But the page numbers are now getting substituted properly (unlike in my first screenshot for this bug report).

I didn't think it was possible for a commit to half work, unless the issue with sheet name and file name is elsewhere.

Tested on version:
Application: kicad
Version: (6.0.0-rc1-dev-1216-gc539d6e0b), release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.4
    libcurl/7.61.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1 (WinSSL) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.6 libidn2/2.0.5 libpsl/0.20.2 (+libidn2/2.0.5) nghttp2/1.34.0
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
    Boost: 1.68.0
    OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
    Curl: 7.61.1
    Compiler: GCC 8.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
    USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
    USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
    KICAD_SPICE=ON

Chris Elliott (sembazuru) wrote :

Ok. I guess I wasn't patient enough to wait for the commit to get applied to the nightlies. I skipped the nightly on the 20th, but just checked the nightly for the 21st and it appears that this bug report is resolved.

My apologies if I seemed impatient.

Maciej Suminski (orsonmmz) wrote :

No worries, thank you for confirming the fix.

Changed in kicad:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers