More options on when to put footprints in .pos file

Bug #1796043 reported by Kristoffer on 2018-10-04
10
This bug affects 2 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
KiCad
Wishlist
Unassigned

Bug Description

As the title says, If i have say connectors that needs to be in a certain place to fit in cases, and holder etc. I lock them from being moved. However, when I do this they do not show up in position files

Application: kicad
Version: 5.0.0, release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.4
    libcurl/7.61.1 OpenSSL/1.1.0i zlib/1.2.11 libidn2/2.0.5 libpsl/0.20.2 (+libidn2/2.0.4) nghttp2/1.32.0
Platform: Linux 4.16.18-1-MANJARO x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 2.24
    Boost: 1.67.0
    Curl: 7.61.0
    Compiler: GCC 8.1.1 with C++ ABI 1012

Build settings:
    USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
    USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCE=OFF
    KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
    KICAD_SPICE=ON

tags: added: pcbnew
Jeff Young (jeyjey) wrote :

I can't reproduce this. Are you sure it's not because your connectors are through-hole components? (The .pos file only lists SMD components.)

Yeah, I checked that. It solved a few of the components. But the rest still
did not show up.

I had to use the option "force INSERT attribute on SMD components" , then
it worked. What is the Insert attribute and where to change it?

-Kristoffer

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018, 15:41 Jeff Young <email address hidden> wrote:

> I can't reproduce this. Are you sure it's not because your connectors
> are through-hole components? (The .pos file only lists SMD components.)
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1796043
>
> Title:
> Locked footprint doesnt show up in footprint position files
>
> Status in KiCad:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> As the title says, If i have say connectors that needs to be in a
> certain place to fit in cases, and holder etc. I lock them from being
> moved. However, when I do this they do not show up in position files
>
> Application: kicad
> Version: 5.0.0, release build
> Libraries:
> wxWidgets 3.0.4
> libcurl/7.61.1 OpenSSL/1.1.0i zlib/1.2.11 libidn2/2.0.5
> libpsl/0.20.2 (+libidn2/2.0.4) nghttp2/1.32.0
> Platform: Linux 4.16.18-1-MANJARO x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
> Build Info:
> wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+
> 2.24
> Boost: 1.67.0
> Curl: 7.61.0
> Compiler: GCC 8.1.1 with C++ ABI 1012
>
> Build settings:
> USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
> USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
> KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
> KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
> KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=OFF
> KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
> BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
> KICAD_USE_OCE=OFF
> KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
> KICAD_SPICE=ON
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1796043/+subscriptions
>

@Kristoffer, the fabrication attributes can be set in the footprint properties dialog.

I am well aware that the SMD, Virtual and through hole can be set there,
but what is the INSERT attribute... It does not show up in the properties
dialog.

Check file->Fabrication Outputs->Footprint pos file.

I cannot find the INSERT attribute that is mentioned there anywhere, but
still there is an option that does different things that mentions them.

- Kristoffer

On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 3:20 PM Wayne Stambaugh <email address hidden>
wrote:

> @Kristoffer, the fabrication attributes can be set in the footprint
> properties dialog.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1796043
>
> Title:
> Locked footprint doesnt show up in footprint position files
>
> Status in KiCad:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> As the title says, If i have say connectors that needs to be in a
> certain place to fit in cases, and holder etc. I lock them from being
> moved. However, when I do this they do not show up in position files
>
> Application: kicad
> Version: 5.0.0, release build
> Libraries:
> wxWidgets 3.0.4
> libcurl/7.61.1 OpenSSL/1.1.0i zlib/1.2.11 libidn2/2.0.5
> libpsl/0.20.2 (+libidn2/2.0.4) nghttp2/1.32.0
> Platform: Linux 4.16.18-1-MANJARO x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
> Build Info:
> wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+
> 2.24
> Boost: 1.67.0
> Curl: 7.61.0
> Compiler: GCC 8.1.1 with C++ ABI 1012
>
> Build settings:
> USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
> USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
> KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
> KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
> KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=OFF
> KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
> BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
> KICAD_USE_OCE=OFF
> KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
> KICAD_SPICE=ON
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1796043/+subscriptions
>

The documentation on this could potentially be improved.

Usually, SMD devices that have some through-hole pins are not exported to pick and place. The INSERT forces SMD devices regardless of this condition.

Changed in kicad:
status: New → Triaged
milestone: none → 5.1.0
summary: - Locked footprint doesnt show up in footprint position files
+ xy output options should have clear tooltips
Changed in kicad:
importance: Undecided → Wishlist

It probably makes sense to include a few more optional outputs as well as more fabricators are asking for x/y for through hole components as well (Advanced Assembly, Screaming Circuits in US at least)

Wayne Stambaugh (stambaughw) wrote :

Version 5.1 is in feature freeze. Moving to 6.0.0 milestone.

Changed in kicad:
milestone: 5.1.0 → 6.0.0-rc1
Jeff Young (jeyjey) on 2019-04-01
summary: - xy output options should have clear tooltips
+ More options on when to put footprints in .pos file
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers