settings in $HOME/.kde/config/kdeglobals doesn't respect XDG_DATA_DIRS

Bug #379053 reported by Marc Gariépy on 2009-05-21
10
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
KDE Base
New
Medium
kdelibs
Invalid
Undecided
Unassigned
kde4libs (Ubuntu)
Low
Unassigned

Bug Description

I'm on a ltsp setup, i can use different .desktop files depending of the user, i set XDG_DATA_DIRS to set desktop file to be used for the users. In my $HOME/.kde/config/kdeglobals i set BrowserApplication[$e]=firefox.desktop but kde doesn't use the environment variable XDG_DATA_DIRS to launch the right firefox.desktop.

I think that kde should look at XDG_DATA_DIRS to launch the applications.

affects: kdebase (Ubuntu) → kde4libs (Ubuntu)
Changed in kde4libs (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: New → Triaged
Jonathan Thomas (echidnaman) wrote :

This would probably need a report forwarded to bugs.kde.org

Changed in kde4libs (Ubuntu):
importance: Medium → Low
status: Triaged → Confirmed
Changed in kdebase:
status: Unknown → New

Version: (using KDE 4.0.5)
OS: Linux
Installed from: Ubuntu Packages

I'm on a ltsp setup, i can use different .desktop files depending of the user, i set XDG_DATA_DIRS to set desktop file to be used for the users. In my $HOME/.kde/config/kdeglobals i set BrowserApplication[$e]=firefox.desktop but kde doesn't use the environment variable XDG_DATA_DIRS to launch the right firefox.desktop.

I think that kde should look at XDG_DATA_DIRS to launch the applications.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kde4libs/+bug/379053

Jonathan Thomas (echidnaman) wrote :

I doubt that this would ever be fixed for KDE3's kdelibs, but thanks for forwarding it all the same. Is it possible that you could test with a more recent version of KDE4? The version listed in the upstream bug is rather.... old, to say the least.

Changed in kdelibs:
status: New → Invalid
Changed in kde4libs (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Triaged
Harald Sitter (apachelogger) wrote :

I cannot reproduce this issue, at all.

What I do:
* mkdir -p ~/xdgdata/applications/
* cp /usr/share/applications/arora.desktop ~/xdgdata/applications/
* vim ~/xdgdata/applications/arora.desktop
* change the Exec to konqueror
* export XDG_DATA_DIRS=$HOME/xdgdata/:$XDG_DATA_DIRS
* kbuildsycoca4 .... to ensure the cache is up-to-date
* kfmclient openURL 'http://kubuntu.org'
||
v
opens Konqueror! not Arora.

Please provide more information on how you archive the wrong behaviour?

Changed in kde4libs (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Incomplete
Jonathan Thomas (echidnaman) wrote :

We are closing this bug report because it lacks the information we need to investigate the problem, as described in the previous comments. Please reopen it if you can give us the missing information, and don't hesitate to submit bug reports in the future. To reopen the bug report you can click on the current status, under the Status column, and change the Status back to "New". Thanks again!

Changed in kde4libs (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Invalid
Changed in kdebase:
importance: Unknown → Medium
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.