Stored vs Instance Reported Address Comparison Causes Repeated Address Updates

Bug #1828972 reported by Joseph Phillips on 2019-05-14
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
juju
High
Joseph Phillips
2.5
High
Joseph Phillips
2.6
High
Joseph Phillips

Bug Description

When the instance poller checks the provider-sourced addresses and compares them with what we have stored in state they are always unequal, causing addresses to be repeatedly updated (at least for MAAS).

This is because the stringified provider address includes a space ID, but what we compare it to does not.

For example:

"local-cloud:172.16.99.3@space-default(id:1)"
versus
"local-cloud:172.16.99.3@space-default"

Fixing this will reduce DB load, as it is running every 5 seconds for each machine.

Changed in juju:
status: New → In Progress
importance: Undecided → High
assignee: nobody → Joseph Phillips (manadart)
milestone: none → 2.7-beta1

Thanks for tracking this down, Joe. We've had issues similar to this in the
past but this is a different flavor of it. Certainly worth fixing.

John
=:->

On Tue, May 14, 2019, 11:11 Joseph Phillips <email address hidden>
wrote:

> Public bug reported:
>
> When the instance poller checks the provider-sourced addresses and
> compares them with what we have stored in state they are always unequal,
> causing addresses to be repeatedly updated (at least for MAAS).
>
> This is because the stringified provider address includes a space ID,
> but what we compare it to does not.
>
> For example:
>
> "local-cloud:172.16.99.3@space-default(id:1)"
> versus
> "local-cloud:172.16.99.3@space-default"
>
> Fixing this will reduce DB load, as it is running every 5 seconds for
> each machine.
>
> ** Affects: juju
> Importance: High
> Assignee: Joseph Phillips (manadart)
> Status: In Progress
>
> ** Affects: juju/2.5
> Importance: High
> Assignee: Joseph Phillips (manadart)
> Status: In Progress
>
> ** Affects: juju/2.6
> Importance: High
> Assignee: Joseph Phillips (manadart)
> Status: In Progress
>
> ** Changed in: juju
> Status: New => In Progress
>
> ** Changed in: juju
> Importance: Undecided => High
>
> ** Changed in: juju
> Assignee: (unassigned) => Joseph Phillips (manadart)
>
> ** Changed in: juju
> Milestone: None => 2.7-beta1
>
> ** Also affects: juju/2.6
> Importance: Undecided
> Status: New
>
> ** Also affects: juju/2.5
> Importance: Undecided
> Status: New
>
> ** Changed in: juju/2.5
> Status: New => In Progress
>
> ** Changed in: juju/2.6
> Status: New => In Progress
>
> ** Changed in: juju/2.5
> Importance: Undecided => High
>
> ** Changed in: juju/2.6
> Importance: Undecided => High
>
> ** Changed in: juju/2.5
> Assignee: (unassigned) => Joseph Phillips (manadart)
>
> ** Changed in: juju/2.6
> Assignee: (unassigned) => Joseph Phillips (manadart)
>
> ** Changed in: juju/2.5
> Milestone: None => 2.5.8
>
> ** Changed in: juju/2.6
> Milestone: None => 2.6.2
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to juju.
> Matching subscriptions: juju bugs
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1828972
>
> Title:
> Stored vs Instance Reported Address Comparison Causes Repeated Address
> Updates
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju/+bug/1828972/+subscriptions
>

Joseph Phillips (manadart) wrote :

2.6 above was aborted due to branch churn at the time.
New patch is: https://github.com/juju/juju/pull/10192

Didn't this get brought in via https://github.com/juju/juju/pull/10190 ?

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 11:35 AM Joseph Phillips <email address hidden>
wrote:

> 2.6 above was aborted due to branch churn at the time.
> New patch is: https://github.com/juju/juju/pull/10192
>
> ** Changed in: juju/2.6
> Status: In Progress => Fix Committed
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to juju.
> Matching subscriptions: juju bugs
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1828972
>
> Title:
> Stored vs Instance Reported Address Comparison Causes Repeated Address
> Updates
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju/+bug/1828972/+subscriptions
>

Joseph Phillips (manadart) wrote :

No; I closed 10188 at my EoD when 2.6 was hard reset. The merge was re-submitted as 10192 the next day when the dust had cleared.

Joseph Phillips (manadart) wrote :
Changed in juju:
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers