unicode('some\xasda string') crashes IPython

Bug #241661 reported by mARK on 2008-06-20
2
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
IPython
Incomplete
Low
Fernando Perez

Bug Description

i got this crash (report attached) experimenting with unicode():

In [6]: unicode('some\xasda string')
------------------------------------------------------------
ValueError: invalid \x escape

python 2.5.2, ipython 0.8.2, ubuntu 8 on a quad-core 64-bit intel processor.

mARK (ipython-mbloore) wrote :
mARK (ipython-mbloore) wrote :

the on-screen output ended with

If you can email this file to the developers, the information in it will help
them in understanding and correcting the problem.

You can mail it to: Ville Vainio at <email address hidden>
with the subject 'IPython Crash Report'.

If you want to do it now, the following command will work (under Unix):
mail -s 'IPython Crash Report' <email address hidden> < /home/mark/.ipython/IPython_crash_report.txt

To ensure accurate tracking of this issue, please file a report about it at:
http://projects.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/report

the URL leads to a closed wiki. i don't know if the email address is still valid. it didn't bounce, anyway.

Fernando Perez (fdo.perez) wrote :

Hi,

as best I can tell, with current IPython from bzr the problem doesn't occur:

In [1]: unicode('some\xasda string')
------------------------------------------------------------
ValueError: invalid \x escape

In [2]:

The error message is (correctly) reported, but no crash happens.

If you can reproduce it with current IPython please reopen the bug, else it seems to have been fixed since 0.8.2.

For now I'm closing it as 'Invalid' since it can't be reproduced with the current codebase, please reopen otherwise.

Fernando Perez (fdo.perez) wrote :

As mentioned in previous comment, reopen with full details if you can reproduce it with the current codebase.

Changed in ipython:
assignee: nobody → fdo.perez
status: New → Invalid
mARK (ipython-mbloore) wrote :

i got the same thing with IPython 0.8.4, which i take to be current. crash report attached.
the on-screen output still ends with old reporting links, too.

Changed in ipython:
status: Invalid → New
mARK (ipython-mbloore) wrote :

i just grabbed and built the code from bzr, and got the same behaviour. the crash report file is only slightly different.

Brian Granger (ellisonbg) wrote :

I have confirmed this bug in IPython trunk on OS X.

Changed in ipython:
importance: Undecided → Low
status: New → Confirmed
Brian Granger (ellisonbg) wrote :

Never mind, I don't reproduce the error. I get

In [1]: unicode('some\xasda string')
------------------------------------------------------------
ValueError: invalid \x escape

But no crash

Changed in ipython:
status: Confirmed → New
status: New → Incomplete
mARK (ipython-mbloore) wrote :

i still get a crash using ipython 0.9.1. as before, i'm using python 2.5.2 under ubuntu 8.04 on a 64-bit quad-core intel processor.
i have attached the crash report.

Are you using the 32 or 64 bit ubuntu?

Brian

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 4:42 PM, mARK <email address hidden> wrote:
> i still get a crash using ipython 0.9.1.  as before, i'm using python 2.5.2 under ubuntu 8.04 on a 64-bit quad-core intel processor.
> i have attached the crash report.
>
> ** Attachment added: "IPython_crash_report.txt"
>   http://launchpadlibrarian.net/25474306/IPython_crash_report.txt
>
> --
> unicode('some\xasda string') crashes IPython
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/241661
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of IPython
> Developers, which is subscribed to IPython.
>
> Status in IPython - Enhanced Interactive Python: Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> i got this crash (report attached) experimenting with unicode():
>
> In [6]:  unicode('some\xasda string')
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> ValueError: invalid \x escape
>
>
> python 2.5.2, ipython 0.8.2, ubuntu 8 on a quad-core 64-bit intel processor.
>

--
Brian E. Granger, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Physics
Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo
<email address hidden>
<email address hidden>

mARK (ipython-mbloore) wrote :

i am using 64-bit ubuntu.

--
mARK bLOORE <email address hidden>

----- Original Message ----
From: "Brian Granger - <email address hidden>" <+ipython+mbloore+e4a9853c06.ellisonbg#<email address hidden>>
To: <email address hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:58:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Bug 241661] Re: unicode('some\xasda string') crashes IPython

Are you using the 32 or 64 bit ubuntu?

Brian

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 4:42 PM, mARK <email address hidden> wrote:
> i still get a crash using ipython 0.9.1. as before, i'm using python 2.5.2 under ubuntu 8.04 on a 64-bit quad-core intel processor.
> i have attached the crash report.
>
> ** Attachment added: "IPython_crash_report.txt"
> http://launchpadlibrarian.net/25474306/IPython_crash_report.txt
>
> --
> unicode('some\xasda string') crashes IPython
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/241661
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of IPython
> Developers, which is subscribed to IPython.
>
> Status in IPython - Enhanced Interactive Python: Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> i got this crash (report attached) experimenting with unicode():
>
> In [6]: unicode('some\xasda string')
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> ValueError: invalid \x escape
>
>
> python 2.5.2, ipython 0.8.2, ubuntu 8 on a quad-core 64-bit intel processor.
>

--
Brian E. Granger, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Physics
Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo
<email address hidden>
<email address hidden>

--
unicode('some\xasda string') crashes IPython
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/241661
You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
of the bug.

Status in IPython - Enhanced Interactive Python: Incomplete

Bug description:
i got this crash (report attached) experimenting with unicode():

In [6]: unicode('some\xasda string')
------------------------------------------------------------
ValueError: invalid \x escape

python 2.5.2, ipython 0.8.2, ubuntu 8 on a quad-core 64-bit intel processor.

mARK (ipython-mbloore) wrote :

i have just upgraded to IPython 0.10, and still get the crash.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers