Saving a svg file as pdf results in an infinite loop with memory leak

Bug #913446 reported by Micael Capitão
This bug affects 2 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone

Bug Description

I created the attached svg file in LibreOffice Draw. Then I opened it with Inkscape 0.48.2 and went to File->Save As. I chosed PDF and the default PDF generation options were used. When clicked OK the program entered an infinite loop or something and RAM consuption grew up "eating" all the system's memory (in Linux). The PDF was not generated.
I tried the same in Windows with the same version of Inkscape and the same occured. Difference was that Windows didn't let memory consumption go beyond about 1GB and after a while Inkscape gave an internal error and quited.

I don't know whether this is an Inkscape problem or a LibreOffice Draw in gererating the svg. Maybe the second one, because both Gimp and Gwenview failed to even open the svg.

Attached goes the svg causing the problem.

Revision history for this message
Micael Capitão (micael-capitao) wrote :
Revision history for this message
Alvin Penner (apenner) wrote :

the size of the original drawing was rather large, so I manually rescaled the drawing to fit onto a 8.5x11 page in landscape orientation and got the following pdf result.

Revision history for this message
Micael Capitão (micael-capitao) wrote :

I was able to generate the pdf via LibreOffice Draw and the result was better than the one generated by Inkscape (file attached)... inkscape ignored the transparency effect on the top left corner. The thing is that even too big, should inkscape eat that amount of memory?
Maybe it is a problem in LibreOffice that is generating an invalid svg.

Revision history for this message
jazzynico (jazzynico) wrote :

Confirmed on Debain Wheezy, Inkscape trunk revision 11159.

tags: added: crash exporting pdf
Changed in inkscape:
importance: Undecided → High
status: New → Confirmed
Revision history for this message
jazzynico (jazzynico) wrote :

Workaround: uncheck the Rasterize filter effects option in the PDF export dialog.
Apparently, the bug is due to the filtered region.

Revision history for this message
Beluga (buovjaga) wrote :

I managed to save it successfully. Please re-test.

Win 7 64-bit
Inkscape 0.92pre1_64bit r15044

Revision history for this message
boussad (picks) wrote :

I think this could be a memory leak. I wasn't able to reproduce this with a different pdf file, and the file you've got there seems to be quite 'normal' (but it does contain objects that are invisible after import into Inkscape, maybe those are causing the issue). , ,

David Millar (davmillar)
tags: added: bug-migration
Revision history for this message
David Millar (davmillar) wrote :

Hi - thanks for reporting this bug, I've manually migrated it to Inkscape's new
bug tracker on GitLab, and closed it here.

Please feel free to file new bugs about the issues you're seeing at

Moved to:
Closed by:

Changed in inkscape:
status: Confirmed → Invalid
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.