Inkscape: A Vector Drawing Tool

pdf to svg fails with characters from Unicode Plane 1 (SMP)

Reported by muhammad Gad on 2010-07-15
14
This bug affects 2 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Inkscape
Medium
Jon A. Cruz
Scour
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

When I convert pdf to svg i found that the hexadecimal 𝐀 to 𝟿 make error, I mean the plane 1 make error, when I convert it by the batch with the following batch content
inkscape 1.pdf --export-plain-svg=1.svg

Thanks

Related branches

muhammad Gad (mamidogad) wrote :
Louis Simard (louis-simard) wrote :

Until further notice, I'm marking this bug as Invalid against Scour, and creating a bug task against Inkscape, since Scour does not appear in the instructions to reproduce this bug.

Changed in scour:
status: New → Invalid
~suv (suv-lp) wrote :

Could you add information about your platform and Inkscape version?

tags: added: importing pdf
removed: xits

Why does it affect Scour? Since when do we use Scour for plain SVG?

~suv (suv-lp) on 2010-07-16
summary: - pdf to svg palne 0 and plane 1
+ pdf to svg plane 0 and plane 1

Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> Why does it affect Scour?
It does not - it appears to have been wrongly filed against Scour instead of Inkscape, and has been marked 'Invalid' for Scour.

> Since when do we use Scour for plain SVG?
We don't (as you know ;-) - Scour is used for the 'Optimized SVG' output format.

> the plane 1 make error, when I convert it by
> the batch with the following batch content
     inkscape 1.pdf --export-plain-svg=1.svg

Not reproduced with Inkscape 0.47 and Inkscape 0.47+devel r9607 on OS X 10.5.8

  • 1.pdf Edit (2.9 KiB, application/pdf; name="1.pdf")
  • xits-math.otf Edit (453.5 KiB, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.formula-template; name="xits-math.otf")

Please convert the attached file. and u'll see what I mean. I tried Windows
XP and Windows 7, and I using inkscape 0.47 or inkscape 0.48

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 5:09 PM, ~suv <email address hidden> wrote:

> Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> > Why does it affect Scour?
> It does not - it appears to have been wrongly filed against Scour instead
> of Inkscape, and has been marked 'Invalid' for Scour.
>
> > Since when do we use Scour for plain SVG?
> We don't (as you know ;-) - Scour is used for the 'Optimized SVG' output
> format.
>
> > the plane 1 make error, when I convert it by
> > the batch with the following batch content
> inkscape 1.pdf --export-plain-svg=1.svg
>
> Not reproduced with Inkscape 0.47 and Inkscape 0.47+devel r9607 on OS X
> 10.5.8
>
> ** Attachment added: "605872-1-plain-cli-047.svg"
> http://launchpadlibrarian.net/52034385/605872-1-plain-cli-047.svg
>
> --
> pdf to svg plane 0 and plane 1
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/605872
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in Inkscape: A Vector Drawing Tool: New
> Status in Scour - Cleaning SVG Files: Invalid
>
> Bug description:
> When I convert pdf to svg i found that the hexadecimal &#x1d400; to
> &#x1d7ff; make error, I mean the plane 1 make error, when I convert it by
> the batch with the following batch content
> inkscape 1.pdf --export-plain-svg=1.svg
>
>
> Thanks
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/605872/+subscribe
>

--
Muhammad Gad
Production Developer
Hindawi Publishing Corporation

reproduced with Inkscape 0.47 and 0.47+devel r9607 on OS X 10.5.8

The second file you attached in comment #6 fails to export to Plain SVG on the command line (creates a broken SVG file) and crashes Inkscape when opened via GUI (crash report attached).

Console message before crash:

Pango:ERROR:break.c:1034:pango_default_break: code should not be reached

~suv (suv-lp) wrote :

The broken SVG file fails to open in a text editor and in Inkscape (console message attached).

tags: added: encoding
Changed in inkscape:
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: New → Confirmed

what should I do now, wanna fix this problem

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 7:16 PM, ~suv <email address hidden> wrote:

> reproduced with Inkscape 0.47 and 0.47+devel r9607 on OS X 10.5.8
>
> The second file you attached in comment #6 fails to export to Plain SVG
> on the command line (creates a broken SVG file) and crashes Inkscape
> when opened via GUI (crash report attached).
>
> Console message before crash:
>
> Pango:ERROR:break.c:1034:pango_default_break: code should not be reached
>
>
> ** Attachment added: "inkscape-bin_2010-07-16-180645_LeWitt.crash"
>
> http://launchpadlibrarian.net/52038663/inkscape-bin_2010-07-16-180645_LeWitt.crash
>
> --
> pdf to svg plane 0 and plane 1
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/605872
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in Inkscape: A Vector Drawing Tool: Confirmed
> Status in Scour - Cleaning SVG Files: Invalid
>
> Bug description:
> When I convert pdf to svg i found that the hexadecimal &#x1d400; to
> &#x1d7ff; make error, I mean the plane 1 make error, when I convert it by
> the batch with the following batch content
> inkscape 1.pdf --export-plain-svg=1.svg
>
>
> Thanks
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/605872/+subscribe
>

--
Muhammad Gad
Production Developer
Hindawi Publishing Corporation

muhammad Gad (mamidogad) wrote :

yes that is the output here also, all I knew about this error if that the
the hexadecimal plane 0. e.g., &#x2211;, it will produce nice output as u
see in the previous pdf, but the hexadecimal plane 1, e.g., &#x1D434;, it
will produce the last error as u see.

Thanks

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 7:22 PM, ~suv <email address hidden> wrote:

> The broken SVG file fails to open in a text editor and in Inkscape
> (console message attached).
>
> ** Attachment added: "1.svg-console-log.txt"
> http://launchpadlibrarian.net/52038888/1.svg-console-log.txt
>
> ** Tags added: encoding
>
> ** Changed in: inkscape
> Importance: Undecided => Medium
>
> ** Changed in: inkscape
> Status: New => Confirmed
>
> --
> pdf to svg plane 0 and plane 1
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/605872
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in Inkscape: A Vector Drawing Tool: Confirmed
> Status in Scour - Cleaning SVG Files: Invalid
>
> Bug description:
> When I convert pdf to svg i found that the hexadecimal &#x1d400; to
> &#x1d7ff; make error, I mean the plane 1 make error, when I convert it by
> the batch with the following batch content
> inkscape 1.pdf --export-plain-svg=1.svg
>
>
> Thanks
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/605872/+subscribe
>

--
Muhammad Gad
Production Developer
Hindawi Publishing Corporation

By "hexadecimal plane 1" do you mean characters from the "Mathematical alphanumeric symbols Unicode block"?
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_alphanumeric_symbols_Unicode_block>

YES

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 7:59 PM, ~suv <email address hidden> wrote:

> By "hexadecimal plane 1" do you mean characters from the "Mathematical
> alphanumeric symbols Unicode block"?
> <
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_alphanumeric_symbols_Unicode_block
> >
>
> --
> pdf to svg plane 0 and plane 1
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/605872
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in Inkscape: A Vector Drawing Tool: Confirmed
> Status in Scour - Cleaning SVG Files: Invalid
>
> Bug description:
> When I convert pdf to svg i found that the hexadecimal &#x1d400; to
> &#x1d7ff; make error, I mean the plane 1 make error, when I convert it by
> the batch with the following batch content
> inkscape 1.pdf --export-plain-svg=1.svg
>
>
> Thanks
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/605872/+subscribe
>

--
Muhammad Gad
Production Developer
Hindawi Publishing Corporation

~suv (suv-lp) on 2010-07-16
summary: - pdf to svg plane 0 and plane 1
+ pdf to svg fails with characters from Unicode Plane 1 (SMP)

When will u fix this issue. Thanks

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 8:41 PM, ~suv <email address hidden> wrote:

> ** Summary changed:
>
> - pdf to svg plane 0 and plane 1
> + pdf to svg fails with characters from Unicode Plane 1 (SMP)
>
> --
> pdf to svg fails with characters from Unicode Plane 1 (SMP)
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/605872
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in Inkscape: A Vector Drawing Tool: Confirmed
> Status in Scour - Cleaning SVG Files: Invalid
>
> Bug description:
> When I convert pdf to svg i found that the hexadecimal &#x1d400; to
> &#x1d7ff; make error, I mean the plane 1 make error, when I convert it by
> the batch with the following batch content
> inkscape 1.pdf --export-plain-svg=1.svg
>
>
> Thanks
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/605872/+subscribe
>

--
Muhammad Gad
Production Developer
Hindawi Publishing Corporation

*Please, When will u fix this problem, I need it urgently.*

Thanks

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 7:27 PM, TeX United Group Gad
<email address hidden>wrote:

> YES
>
>
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 7:59 PM, ~suv <email address hidden> wrote:
>
>> By "hexadecimal plane 1" do you mean characters from the "Mathematical
>> alphanumeric symbols Unicode block"?
>> <
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_alphanumeric_symbols_Unicode_block
>> >
>>
>> --
>> pdf to svg plane 0 and plane 1
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/605872
>> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
>> of the bug.
>>
>> Status in Inkscape: A Vector Drawing Tool: Confirmed
>> Status in Scour - Cleaning SVG Files: Invalid
>>
>> Bug description:
>> When I convert pdf to svg i found that the hexadecimal &#x1d400; to
>> &#x1d7ff; make error, I mean the plane 1 make error, when I convert it by
>> the batch with the following batch content
>> inkscape 1.pdf --export-plain-svg=1.svg
>>
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/605872/+subscribe
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Muhammad Gad
> Production Developer
> Hindawi Publishing Corporation
>

--
Muhammad Gad
Production Developer
Hindawi Publishing Corporation

~suv (suv-lp) wrote :

> When will u fix this problem, I need it urgently.
You are aware that open source projects depend on developers volunteering to spend their free time on a project like Inkscape? It's not like paid customer support…

Assigning report to the Inkscape Unicode expert… but realistically it's too late for the upcoming 0.48 release (even if it were known what causes the problem and how to fix it), so your best hopes are for a point release (0.48.1) later this year, or a development build once the error has been fixed in the development branch (0.48+devel).

You will receive e-mail notification about any progress with regard to your reported issue.

Changed in inkscape:
assignee: nobody → Jon A. Cruz (jon-joncruz)

If you want me to pay money for fix this problem I will. Would u please to
tell me how much does it cost?

Thanks

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 8:54 AM, ~suv <email address hidden> wrote:

> > When will u fix this problem, I need it urgently.
> You are aware that open source projects depend on developers volunteering
> to spend their free time on a project like Inkscape? It's not like paid
> customer support…
>
> Assigning report to the Inkscape Unicode expert… but realistically it's
> too late for the upcoming 0.48 release (even if it were known what
> causes the problem and how to fix it), so your best hopes are for a
> point release (0.48.1) later this year, or a development build once the
> error has been fixed in the development branch (0.48+devel).
>
> You will receive e-mail notification about any progress with regard to
> your reported issue.
>
> ** Changed in: inkscape
> Assignee: (unassigned) => Jon A. Cruz (jon-joncruz)
>
> --
> pdf to svg fails with characters from Unicode Plane 1 (SMP)
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/605872
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to
> Inkscape.
>
> Status in Inkscape: A Vector Drawing Tool: Confirmed
> Status in Scour - Cleaning SVG Files: Invalid
>
> Bug description:
> When I convert pdf to svg i found that the hexadecimal &#x1d400; to
> &#x1d7ff; make error, I mean the plane 1 make error, when I convert it by
> the batch with the following batch content
> inkscape 1.pdf --export-plain-svg=1.svg
>
>
> Thanks
>
>
>

--
Muhammad Gad
Production Developer
Hindawi Publishing Corporation

muhammad Gad (mamidogad) wrote :

Dear Sir:

did u get my email about paying anything to finish this bug.

Thanks

I tried another sample file from Muhammad and Inkscape doesn't even want to load it.

The file above is plain svg output, created from CLI. When I try to convert PDF from GUI, Inkscape crashes.

~suv (suv-lp) wrote :

Progress report:
Bug #369861 “Unable to open previously imported pdf file” has a patch (work-in-progress) which in first tests fixes the problem reported here (#605872) too.

~suv (suv-lp) wrote :

Fix committed by Jon Cruz in r9812 (see bug #369861)

Changed in inkscape:
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed
~suv (suv-lp) on 2010-10-04
Changed in inkscape:
milestone: none → 0.48.1
~suv (suv-lp) wrote :

@muhammad Gad - a new development build for Windows (inkscape_9813-1010042126.7z) which includes this fix has been uploaded to <http://inkscape.modevia.com/win32/?C=M;O=D>. Please test if this solves your issue.

The planned next release (0.48.1) will also include the fix.

jazzynico (jazzynico) on 2011-03-05
Changed in inkscape:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers