Gwibber doesn't show messages from twitter

Bug #645512 reported by Vitali Kulikou
86
This bug affects 16 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Gwibber
High
Ken VanDine
gwibber (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned
Nominated for Maverick by Omer Akram

Bug Description

Ubuntu 10.10
Gwibber 2.31.94
Gwibber doesn't show/update timeline messages from twitter and buzz..

From the log:

2010-09-22 22:36:49,879 - Gwibber Dispatcher - ERROR - Twitter failure - {u'favorited': False, u'contributors': None, u'truncated': False, u'text': u'\u0421\u0435\u0433\u043e\u0434\u043d\u044f! Cinemascope: \u0412\u043d\u0435 \u043f\u043e\u043b\u044f \u0437\u0440\u0435\u043d\u0438\u044f. \u041f\u0440\u043e\u0433\u0440\u0430\u043c\u043c\u0430 \u0438\u0441\u043f\u0430\u043d\u0441\u043a\u043e\u0433\u043e \u043a\u0438\u043d\u043e - \u0434\u0440\u0430\u043c\u0430 &laquo;\u041e\u0445\u043e\u0442\u0430&raquo; http://bit.ly/anCvSD', u'created_at': u'Wed Sep 22 06:00:06 +0000 2010', u'retweeted': False, u'coordinates': None, u'source': u'<a href="http://kinopark.by/" rel="nofollow">Kinopark</a>', u'in_reply_to_status_id': None, u'place': None, u'user': {u'follow_request_sent': False, u'profile_use_background_image': True, u'id': 85283369, u'verified': False, u'profile_sidebar_fill_color': u'DDEEF6', u'profile_text_color': u'333333', u'followers_count': 481, u'protected': False, u'location': u'\u041c\u0438\u043d\u0441\u043a', u'profile_background_color': u'C0DEED', u'listed_count': 26, u'utc_offset': 7200, u'statuses_count': 336, u'description': u'', u'friends_count': 0, u'profile_link_color': u'0084B4', u'profile_image_url': u'http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/607523278/twit_normal.jpg', u'notifications': False, u'show_all_inline_media': False, u'geo_enabled': False, u'profile_background_image_url': u'http://s.twimg.com/a/1284676327/images/themes/theme1/bg.png', u'name': u'Kinopark.by', u'lang': u'en', u'profile_background_tile': False, u'favourites_count': 0, u'screen_name': u'kinoparkby', u'url': u'http://kinopark.by', u'created_at': u'Mon Oct 26 10:20:38 +0000 2009', u'contributors_enabled': False, u'time_zone': u'Minsk', u'profile_sidebar_border_color': u'C0DEED', u'following': False}, u'in_reply_to_screen_name': None, u'retweet_count': 0, u'geo': None, u'id': 25188305664L, u'in_reply_to_user_id': None}

* cut

2010-09-22 22:36:49,974 - Gwibber Dispatcher - ERROR - <twitter:receive> Operation failed
2010-09-22 22:36:49,974 - Gwibber Dispatcher - DEBUG - Traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/gwibber/microblog/dispatcher.py", line 90, in perform_operation
    m["rtl"] = util.isRTL(re.sub(text_cleaner, "", m["text"].decode('utf-8')))
KeyError: 'text'

Related branches

Revision history for this message
Vitali Kulikou (sabotatore) wrote :
Revision history for this message
Vitali Kulikou (sabotatore) wrote :

Nothing has changed with latest updates..

Step to reproduce:

1) add http://twitter.com/kinoparkby to your following people
2) refresh gwibber timeline

$ apt-cache policy gwibber
gwibber:
  Installed: 2.32.0-0ubuntu1
  Candidate: 2.32.0-0ubuntu1
  Version table:
 *** 2.32.0-0ubuntu1 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

$ apt-cache policy gwibber-service
gwibber-service:
  Installed: 2.32.0-0ubuntu1
  Candidate: 2.32.0-0ubuntu1
  Version table:
 *** 2.32.0-0ubuntu1 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

summary: - Gwibber doesn't show messages from twitter and buzz
+ Gwibber doesn't show messages from twitter
description: updated
Revision history for this message
Victor Vargas (kamus) wrote :

Have you tried to remove and add your twitter account?

Changed in gwibber (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Low
Revision history for this message
Franklin van Velthuizen (franklinvv) wrote :

I encounter a similar problem. On Twitter, I'm a follower of @Teletekst. That profile often contains tweets with entities such as &euml; which generates errors after which Gwibber does not update the timeline. The only way for me to use Gwibber is to stop following @Teletekst.

This is an example of the errors that I get in ~/.cache/gwibber/gwibber.log:

2010-10-15 10:42:13,631 - Gwibber Dispatcher - ERROR - Twitter failure - {u'favorited': False, u'contributors': None, u'truncated': False, u'text': u'Ophef na aids-uitspraak in Belgi&euml; http://nos.nl/l/191455/t', u'created_at': u'Fri Oct 15 02:28:04 +0000 2010', u'retweeted': False, u'coordinates': None, u'source': u'<a href="http://nos.nl" rel="nofollow">NOS</a>', u'in_reply_to_status_id': None, u'place': None, u'in_reply_to_user_id': None, u'in_reply_to_screen_name': None, u'retweet_count': None, u'geo': None, u'id': 27401600962L, u'user': {u'follow_request_sent': False, u'profile_use_background_image': True, u'id': 5136281, u'verified': False, u'profile_sidebar_fill_color': u'e8e8ff', u'profile_text_color': u'333333', u'followers_count': 21412, u'protected': False, u'location': u'Hilversum', u'profile_background_color': u'ffffff', u'listed_count': 1231, u'utc_offset': 3600, u'statuses_count': 27914, u'description': u'NOS Teletekst | Laatste nieuws | op TV, internet, mobiel, iPhone en Blackberry | voetbal tussenstanden en uitslagen | beurskoersen | weer | verkeer |', u'friends_count': 5264, u'profile_link_color': u'b41a1f', u'profile_image_url': u'http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1133689260/teletekst_normal.jpg', u'notifications': False, u'show_all_inline_media': False, u'geo_enabled': False, u'profile_background_image_url': u'http://a3.twimg.com/profile_background_images/41705199/a_teletekst.jpg', u'name': u'NOS Teletekst', u'lang': u'en', u'profile_background_tile': False, u'favourites_count': 1, u'screen_name': u'Teletekst', u'url': u'http://teletekst.nos.nl', u'created_at': u'Wed Apr 18 16:31:44 +0000 2007', u'contributors_enabled': False, u'time_zone': u'Amsterdam', u'profile_sidebar_border_color': u'8c8cab', u'following': True}}

These errors are then followed by a line like this:

2010-10-15 10:42:13,655 - Gwibber Dispatcher - ERROR - <twitter:user_messages> Operation failed

Revision history for this message
Franklin van Velthuizen (franklinvv) wrote :

Just to clarify: I'm running a fresh installation of 10.10 (installed 12 hours ago) with Gwibber 2.32.0.1.

Revision history for this message
Victor Vargas (kamus) wrote :

Franklin, which locale do you have configured as default in your system?

Revision history for this message
Victor Vargas (kamus) wrote :

well I have mark @Teletekst as following and I am able to reproduce this issue, after removing that people and re-added my twitter account all is working fine again.

Changed in gwibber (Ubuntu):
importance: Low → Medium
status: New → Confirmed
Revision history for this message
Felix (apoapo) wrote :

This tweet kills my gwibber-service. Unfollowing + Following again is a workaround.
"Die »Wölfin« im Dom zu Aachen ist in Wirklichkeit eine Bärin."

Revision history for this message
Omer Akram (om26er) wrote : Re: [Bug 645512] Re: Gwibber doesn't show messages from twitter

apo which version of gwibber are you using? cannot reproduce this with
gwibber 2.32.2

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 1:16 AM, apo <email address hidden> wrote:

> This tweet kills my gwibber-service. Unfollowing + Following again is a
> workaround.
> "Die »Wölfin« im Dom zu Aachen ist in Wirklichkeit eine Bärin."
>
> --
> Gwibber doesn't show messages from twitter
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/645512
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to
> Gwibber.
>
> Status in Gwibber: New
> Status in “gwibber” package in Ubuntu: Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> Ubuntu 10.10
> Gwibber 2.31.94
> Gwibber doesn't show/update timeline messages from twitter and buzz..
>
> >From the log:
>
> 2010-09-22 22:36:49,879 - Gwibber Dispatcher - ERROR - Twitter failure -
> {u'favorited': False, u'contributors': None, u'truncated': False, u'text':
> u'\u0421\u0435\u0433\u043e\u0434\u043d\u044f! Cinemascope:
> \u0412\u043d\u0435 \u043f\u043e\u043b\u044f
> \u0437\u0440\u0435\u043d\u0438\u044f.
> \u041f\u0440\u043e\u0433\u0440\u0430\u043c\u043c\u0430
> \u0438\u0441\u043f\u0430\u043d\u0441\u043a\u043e\u0433\u043e
> \u043a\u0438\u043d\u043e - \u0434\u0440\u0430\u043c\u0430
> &laquo;\u041e\u0445\u043e\u0442\u0430&raquo; http://bit.ly/anCvSD',
> u'created_at': u'Wed Sep 22 06:00:06 +0000 2010', u'retweeted': False,
> u'coordinates': None, u'source': u'<a href="http://kinopark.by/"
> rel="nofollow">Kinopark</a>', u'in_reply_to_status_id': None, u'place':
> None, u'user': {u'follow_request_sent': False,
> u'profile_use_background_image': True, u'id': 85283369, u'verified': False,
> u'profile_sidebar_fill_color': u'DDEEF6', u'profile_text_color': u'333333',
> u'followers_count': 481, u'protected': False, u'location':
> u'\u041c\u0438\u043d\u0441\u043a', u'profile_background_color': u'C0DEED',
> u'listed_count': 26, u'utc_offset': 7200, u'statuses_count': 336,
> u'description': u'', u'friends_count': 0, u'profile_link_color': u'0084B4',
> u'profile_image_url': u'
> http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/607523278/twit_normal.jpg',
> u'notifications': False, u'show_all_inline_media': False, u'geo_enabled':
> False, u'profile_background_image_url': u'
> http://s.twimg.com/a/1284676327/images/themes/theme1/bg.png', u'name':
> u'Kinopark.by', u'lang': u'en', u'profile_background_tile': False,
> u'favourites_count': 0, u'screen_name': u'kinoparkby', u'url': u'
> http://kinopark.by', u'created_at': u'Mon Oct 26 10:20:38 +0000 2009',
> u'contributors_enabled': False, u'time_zone': u'Minsk',
> u'profile_sidebar_border_color': u'C0DEED', u'following': False},
> u'in_reply_to_screen_name': None, u'retweet_count': 0, u'geo': None, u'id':
> 25188305664L, u'in_reply_to_user_id': None}
>
> * cut
>
> 2010-09-22 22:36:49,974 - Gwibber Dispatcher - ERROR - <twitter:receive>
> Operation failed
> 2010-09-22 22:36:49,974 - Gwibber Dispatcher - DEBUG - Traceback:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/gwibber/microblog/dispatcher.py",
> line 90, in perform_operation
> m["rtl"] = util.isRTL(re.sub(text_cleaner, "",
> m["text"].decode('utf-8')))
> KeyError: 'text'
>
>
>
>

Revision history for this message
Felix (apoapo) wrote :

Gwibber 2.32.2

My systems locale is german.
Maybe this is a problem?

laptop:~$ locale
LANG=de_DE.utf8
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.utf8"
LC_TIME="de_DE.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.utf8"
LC_PAPER="de_DE.utf8"
LC_NAME="de_DE.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="de_DE.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE.utf8"
LC_ALL=

Revision history for this message
Omer Akram (om26er) wrote :
Download full text (3.3 KiB)

apo, please attach your ~/.cache/gwibber/gwibber.log to this bug report.

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 10:51 PM, apo <email address hidden> wrote:

> Gwibber 2.32.2
>
> My systems locale is german.
> Maybe this is a problem?
>
> laptop:~$ locale
> LANG=de_DE.utf8
> LC_CTYPE="de_DE.utf8"
> LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.utf8"
> LC_TIME="de_DE.utf8"
> LC_COLLATE="de_DE.utf8"
> LC_MONETARY="de_DE.utf8"
> LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.utf8"
> LC_PAPER="de_DE.utf8"
> LC_NAME="de_DE.utf8"
> LC_ADDRESS="de_DE.utf8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE.utf8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE.utf8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE.utf8"
> LC_ALL=
>
> --
> Gwibber doesn't show messages from twitter
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/645512
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to
> Gwibber.
>
> Status in Gwibber: New
> Status in “gwibber” package in Ubuntu: Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> Ubuntu 10.10
> Gwibber 2.31.94
> Gwibber doesn't show/update timeline messages from twitter and buzz..
>
> >From the log:
>
> 2010-09-22 22:36:49,879 - Gwibber Dispatcher - ERROR - Twitter failure -
> {u'favorited': False, u'contributors': None, u'truncated': False, u'text':
> u'\u0421\u0435\u0433\u043e\u0434\u043d\u044f! Cinemascope:
> \u0412\u043d\u0435 \u043f\u043e\u043b\u044f
> \u0437\u0440\u0435\u043d\u0438\u044f.
> \u041f\u0440\u043e\u0433\u0440\u0430\u043c\u043c\u0430
> \u0438\u0441\u043f\u0430\u043d\u0441\u043a\u043e\u0433\u043e
> \u043a\u0438\u043d\u043e - \u0434\u0440\u0430\u043c\u0430
> &laquo;\u041e\u0445\u043e\u0442\u0430&raquo; http://bit.ly/anCvSD',
> u'created_at': u'Wed Sep 22 06:00:06 +0000 2010', u'retweeted': False,
> u'coordinates': None, u'source': u'<a href="http://kinopark.by/"
> rel="nofollow">Kinopark</a>', u'in_reply_to_status_id': None, u'place':
> None, u'user': {u'follow_request_sent': False,
> u'profile_use_background_image': True, u'id': 85283369, u'verified': False,
> u'profile_sidebar_fill_color': u'DDEEF6', u'profile_text_color': u'333333',
> u'followers_count': 481, u'protected': False, u'location':
> u'\u041c\u0438\u043d\u0441\u043a', u'profile_background_color': u'C0DEED',
> u'listed_count': 26, u'utc_offset': 7200, u'statuses_count': 336,
> u'description': u'', u'friends_count': 0, u'profile_link_color': u'0084B4',
> u'profile_image_url': u'
> http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/607523278/twit_normal.jpg',
> u'notifications': False, u'show_all_inline_media': False, u'geo_enabled':
> False, u'profile_background_image_url': u'
> http://s.twimg.com/a/1284676327/images/themes/theme1/bg.png', u'name':
> u'Kinopark.by', u'lang': u'en', u'profile_background_tile': False,
> u'favourites_count': 0, u'screen_name': u'kinoparkby', u'url': u'
> http://kinopark.by', u'created_at': u'Mon Oct 26 10:20:38 +0000 2009',
> u'contributors_enabled': False, u'time_zone': u'Minsk',
> u'profile_sidebar_border_color': u'C0DEED', u'following': False},
> u'in_reply_to_screen_name': None, u'retweet_count': 0, u'geo': None, u'id':
> 25188305664L, u'in_reply_to_user_id': None}
>
> * cut
>
> 2010-09-22 22:36:49,974 - Gwibber Dispatcher - ERROR - <twitter:receive>
> Operation failed
> 2010-09-22 22:36:49,974 - Gwibber Dispatcher - DEBUG - Traceback:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> F...

Read more...

Revision history for this message
Felix (apoapo) wrote :

My gwibber.log.
Just a part of it. The whole one seems to contain every single msg ever generated..

Revision history for this message
Omer Akram (om26er) wrote :

apo, can you try to switch to english and restart gwibber.

Revision history for this message
Omer Akram (om26er) wrote :

Franklin i just followed kinoparkby and have not seen any thing in logs yet.

Revision history for this message
Felix (apoapo) wrote :

The problem only occurs when there is a new "faulty" message -after- you have followed someone.
At leat, as described above, it's a workaround to "re-"follow.

I will try following a few users where i know gwibber had problems before and i will switch to english now.

Revision history for this message
Felix (apoapo) wrote :

Same error with systemlanguage english here. It's again the twitter user "spiegel_spam" that kills my timeline with nearly every tweet.

2nd log enclosed.

Spiegel_spam: http://twitter.com/#!/spiegel_spam

Revision history for this message
wribeiro (wribeiro) wrote :

Same problem here.
Facebook account is updating, but Twitter is not.

What I did until now since the problem began:
- Recreated the account many times
- Uninstalled and reinstalled Gwibber a lot of times
- Added the source (http://ppa.launchpad.net/gwibber-daily/ppa/ubuntu maverick main) and installed a non stable version, witch worked for some days, updating twitter correctly.
- Removed the source for unstable packages and reinstalled back the regular version (2.32.2)
- Recreated twitter account a lot of times again

System Language: Portuguese (Brazil)
Ubuntu Maverick i386

Attaching gwibber.log

Revision history for this message
wribeiro (wribeiro) wrote :

Why the importance for this bug is set as "medim"?
Gwibber don't work for a lot of people, there is no work around!!
What kind of bug can be more important?

Omer Akram (om26er)
Changed in gwibber:
assignee: nobody → Ken VanDine (ken-vandine)
importance: Undecided → High
status: New → Confirmed
Changed in gwibber (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Triaged
Revision history for this message
Marco Trevisan (Treviño) (3v1n0) wrote :

This patch, fixes the bug.

The lp:~3v1n0/gwibber/failing-messages-loading-fix branch has also a generic fix for avoiding that no message is shown when just one (or a small subset) is failing.

Revision history for this message
Marco Trevisan (Treviño) (3v1n0) wrote :

Deleted previous, patch (I sent the old version :P).

This one works better. ;)

Revision history for this message
Omer Akram (om26er) wrote :

Trevino could you also backport the fix to 2.32 series of gwibber? (lp:gwibber/2.32)

Revision history for this message
Marco Trevisan (Treviño) (3v1n0) wrote :

Here you are.

Revision history for this message
Marco Trevisan (Treviño) (3v1n0) wrote :

Dispatcher fix too.

tags: added: patch
Revision history for this message
Omer Akram (om26er) wrote :

i have build gwibber with the patch in comment 22. those who are facing this issue could you please try gwibber from my ppa? (ppa:om26er/test) and check if that solves the issue.

Revision history for this message
Omer Akram (om26er) wrote :

in case any one dont know how to use the above ppa

open terminal and type:

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:om26er/test; sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get updgrade or (if you have a lot of updates in the queue and you dont want to install them then do 'sudo apt-get install gwibber gwibber-service'

Changed in gwibber:
milestone: none → 2.91.92
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed
Revision history for this message
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package gwibber - 2.91.2-0ubuntu1

---------------
gwibber (2.91.2-0ubuntu1) natty; urgency=low

  * New upstream release
    - foursquare: fails if response contains a venue that has been
      deleted (Teester) (LP: #687498)
    - dispatcher: catch exception per every failing-message (Marco
      Trevisan) (LP: #645512)
    - Dump test data (~/.cache/gwibber/dump/) if GWIBBER_TEST_DUMP=1
    - Don't use the deprecated htmllib escaping for html entities (LP: #554205)
 -- Ken VanDine <email address hidden> Tue, 14 Dec 2010 14:53:13 -0500

Changed in gwibber (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Fix Released
Revision history for this message
Abhinav Chittora (bijolianabhi) wrote :

I am using Gwibber 2.32.2 on Ubuntu 10.10. I am getting same problem. May be the reason behind is " I am following PHPCAMP<http://www.twitter.com/phpcamp/>.

And When I unfollow the user, the timeline was updating successfully. Attaching the log.

Changed in gwibber:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Revision history for this message
JJMerelo (jjmerelo) wrote :

Still not working in the newest version:
gwibber:
  Instalados: 2.91.92~bzr967-0ubuntu1~daily1~lucid
  Candidato: 2.91.92~bzr967-0ubuntu1~daily1~lucid

I use multiple accounts, but all of them are frozen as of February.

Cheers

JJ

Revision history for this message
Joshua Lückers (joshualuckers) wrote :

Since a few days my Twitter stream also stopped showing messages. Removing and reinstalling Gwibber does not seem to help. I also tried to remove and add my account. It does show the Twitter lists I have created.
My Facebook timeline is being shown correctly.

gwibber:
  Installed: 2.32.2-0ubuntu2
  Candidate: 2.32.2-0ubuntu2
  Version table:
 *** 2.32.2-0ubuntu2 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-updates/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2.32.0.1-0ubuntu1 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick/main amd64 Packages

Revision history for this message
Jose Luis Tirado (txelu70) wrote :

I'm having a similar problem. My Twitter stream is frozen for the last 4 days, but if I filter by some of the users newest post are shown, so I guess it is related to one of the posts. Using Twitter website I can see the next post, the first not shown in Gwibber, and I saw it has an icon of a bubble that, when clicked, opens a side panel with a chat stream (two post related). The most bizarre is that the first missing post is shown if I filter the stream by that poster. :(

If I manually launch gwibber with 'gwibber -d' from a console I get the following line:

(gwibber:1537): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_debug_add_log_function: assertion `func != NULL' failed

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers