Creating sub-tasks with <tab>

Reported by Xavier Lepaul on 2009-03-08
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Getting Things GNOME!
Wishlist
Unassigned

Bug Description

Today, sub-tasks can be created with the button or with a dash.
It would be great to be able to create sub-tasks by indenting text

Lionel Dricot (ploum) on 2009-03-08
Changed in gtg:
assignee: nobody → ploum
importance: Undecided → Low
milestone: none → 0.2
status: New → Confirmed

We definitely have to try this.

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Lionel Dricot <email address hidden> wrote:
> ** Changed in: gtg
>   Importance: Undecided => Low
>     Assignee: (unassigned) => Lionel Dricot (ploum)
>       Status: New => Confirmed
>       Target: None => 0.2
>
> --
> Creating sub-tasks with <tab>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/339535
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of Gtg
> developers, which is the registrant for gtg.
>
> Status in Getting Things Gnome!: Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> Today, sub-tasks can be created with the button or with a dash.
> It would be great to be able to create sub-tasks by indenting text
>

--
Bertrand Rousseau
Place communale 1, 1450 Chastre, Belgium
e-mail : <email address hidden>
tel : +32 485 96 69 86

Lionel Dricot (ploum) wrote :

I was implementing this when I thought that it might be a bad idea. What I you want to use the real tab ? What if you copy/paste some code in your notes ?

What do you think ?

Lionel Dricot (ploum) on 2009-03-13
Changed in gtg:
status: Confirmed → New

Why is this bug marked as a duplicate of #340164? In my opinion
they're not related since they don't pursue the same objective...

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Lionel Dricot <email address hidden> wrote:
> *** This bug is a duplicate of bug 340164 ***
>    https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/340164
>
> ** Changed in: gtg
>       Status: Confirmed => New
>
> ** Tags added: taskeditor
>
> ** This bug has been marked a duplicate of bug 340164
>   Creating a subtask should allow to edit it
>
> --
> Creating sub-tasks with <tab>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/339535
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of Gtg
> developers, which is the registrant for gtg.
>
> Status in Getting Things Gnome!: New
>
> Bug description:
> Today, sub-tasks can be created with the button or with a dash.
> It would be great to be able to create sub-tasks by indenting text
>

--
Bertrand Rousseau
Place communale 1, 1450 Chastre, Belgium
e-mail : <email address hidden>
tel : +32 485 96 69 86

Lionel Dricot (ploum) wrote :

For me, it's exactly the same : being able to directly enter a subtask without having to hit "enter" at the end of the line. I fail to see any difference here. This one simply suggest a specific shortcut ("tab") while the the other is more general.

Fixing this bug would automatically fix the more general. Fixing the general bug would fix this one or make it invalid.

I was perceiving bug #340164 as being a request for a shortcut for
"Validate the entered text as a task and open its editor", and this
one as being a request for a replacement of "-"+enter by <tab>. For
me, bug #340164 doesn't ask for a syntax modification for subtask
insertion, but a shortcut to open the editor for a just-entered
subtask, but maybe I'm wrong.

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Lionel Dricot <email address hidden> wrote:
> *** This bug is a duplicate of bug 340164 ***
>    https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/340164
>
> For me, it's exactly the same : being able to directly enter a subtask
> without having to hit "enter" at the end of the line. I fail to see any
> difference here. This one simply suggest a specific shortcut ("tab")
> while the the other is more general.
>
> Fixing this bug would automatically fix the more general. Fixing the
> general bug would fix this one or make it invalid.
>
> --
> Creating sub-tasks with <tab>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/339535
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of Gtg
> developers, which is the registrant for gtg.
>
> Status in Getting Things Gnome!: New
>
> Bug description:
> Today, sub-tasks can be created with the button or with a dash.
> It would be great to be able to create sub-tasks by indenting text
>

--
Bertrand Rousseau
Place communale 1, 1450 Chastre, Belgium
e-mail : <email address hidden>
tel : +32 485 96 69 86

Lionel Dricot (ploum) wrote :

Well, I might be wrong as well ;-)

Xavier Lepaul (gaerun) wrote :

Or maybe both requests are wrong !

For the bug #340164, I don't think a shortcut to open a subtask only at
creation time is a good idea. Having a shortcut to open a subtask when
the cursor is on its text could be a good idea, though (I was thinking
of something like Ctrl-Enter). The less I use the mouse, the happier I
am, and opening subtasks with the keyboard is not possible today (or I
didn't find the trick).

For the bug #339535, my need was more for a shortcut to create the
subtask before typing its title. I suggested <tab> because it seemed
like the most natural shortcut for this, but I agree with Lionel one the
problem with the usage of the actual tab character (oh, and by the way,
you mentionned pasting text with tabs in it. Today, pasting text with
lines beginning by a dash do not create sub-tasks for these lines.
Should I file a bug for this ?).

Finally, to make things clear, my "ideal workflow" would be something like :
- hit the first shortcut (e.g. tab, or Ctrl-T, ...), the sub-task arrow
is displayed, and following text is the sub-task title.

Now I can either :
- hit enter to create another sub-task, or
- hit the second shorcut (e.g. Ctrl-Enter) to open the task editor for
the sub-task.

Bertrand Rousseau a écrit :
> *** This bug is a duplicate of bug 340164 ***
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/340164
>
> I was perceiving bug #340164 as being a request for a shortcut for
> "Validate the entered text as a task and open its editor", and this
> one as being a request for a replacement of "-"+enter by <tab>. For
> me, bug #340164 doesn't ask for a syntax modification for subtask
> insertion, but a shortcut to open the editor for a just-entered
> subtask, but maybe I'm wrong.
>
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Lionel Dricot <email address hidden> wrote:
>> *** This bug is a duplicate of bug 340164 ***
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/340164
>>
>> For me, it's exactly the same : being able to directly enter a subtask
>> without having to hit "enter" at the end of the line. I fail to see any
>> difference here. This one simply suggest a specific shortcut ("tab")
>> while the the other is more general.
>>
>> Fixing this bug would automatically fix the more general. Fixing the
>> general bug would fix this one or make it invalid.
>>
>> --
>> Creating sub-tasks with <tab>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/339535
>> You received this bug notification because you are a member of Gtg
>> developers, which is the registrant for gtg.
>>
>> Status in Getting Things Gnome!: New
>>
>> Bug description:
>> Today, sub-tasks can be created with the button or with a dash.
>> It would be great to be able to create sub-tasks by indenting text
>>
>
>

Download full text (3.5 KiB)

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 9:50 PM, Xavier Lepaul <email address hidden> wrote:
> *** This bug is a duplicate of bug 340164 ***
>    https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/340164
>
> Or maybe both requests are wrong !
>
> For the bug #340164, I don't think a shortcut to open a subtask only at
> creation time is a good idea. Having a shortcut to open a subtask when
> the cursor is on its text could be a good idea, though (I was thinking
> of something like Ctrl-Enter). The less I use the mouse, the happier I
> am, and opening subtasks with the keyboard is not possible today (or I
> didn't find the trick).
>
> For the bug #339535, my need was more for a shortcut to create the
> subtask before typing its title. I suggested <tab> because it seemed
> like the most natural shortcut for this, but I agree with Lionel one the
> problem with the usage of the actual tab character (oh, and by the way,
> you mentionned pasting text with tabs in it. Today, pasting text with
> lines beginning by a dash do not create sub-tasks for these lines.
> Should I file a bug for this ?).
>
> Finally, to make things clear, my "ideal workflow" would be something like :
> - hit the first shortcut (e.g. tab, or Ctrl-T, ...), the sub-task arrow
> is displayed, and following text is the sub-task title.
>
> Now I can either :
> - hit enter to create another sub-task, or
> - hit the second shorcut (e.g. Ctrl-Enter) to open the task editor for
> the sub-task.

Fine for me, but I think the actual insertion using '-' should still
stay. "Advanced" users could directly use the keybinding to directly
insert subtasks.

> Bertrand Rousseau a écrit :
>> *** This bug is a duplicate of bug 340164 ***
>>     https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/340164
>>
>> I was perceiving bug #340164 as being a request for a shortcut for
>> "Validate the entered text as a task and open its editor", and this
>> one as being a request for a replacement of "-"+enter by <tab>. For
>> me, bug #340164 doesn't ask for a syntax modification for subtask
>> insertion, but a shortcut to open the editor for a just-entered
>> subtask, but maybe I'm wrong.
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Lionel Dricot <email address hidden> wrote:
>>> *** This bug is a duplicate of bug 340164 ***
>>>    https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/340164
>>>
>>> For me, it's exactly the same : being able to directly enter a subtask
>>> without having to hit "enter" at the end of the line. I fail to see any
>>> difference here. This one simply suggest a specific shortcut ("tab")
>>> while the the other is more general.
>>>
>>> Fixing this bug would automatically fix the more general. Fixing the
>>> general bug would fix this one or make it invalid.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Creating sub-tasks with <tab>
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/339535
>>> You received this bug notification because you are a member of Gtg
>>> developers, which is the registrant for gtg.
>>>
>>> Status in Getting Things Gnome!: New
>>>
>>> Bug description:
>>> Today, sub-tasks can be created with the button or with a dash.
>>> It would be great to be able to create sub-tasks by indenting text
>>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> Creating sub-tasks with <tab>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/339535
> You received t...

Read more...

fabtey (fabtey) wrote :

I updated description for bug #340164 because clarification seemed needed.

 I don't think this one to be a duplicate. I see it exactly as B. Rousseau in https://bugs.launchpad.net/gtg/+bug/339535/comments/5 .
#340164 is about telling gtg "this is a subtask" and opening it for editing with no need to point and click.
This one sounds like a request for giving tabs along with dashes for subtask creation.

Ok, removing the duplicate status then

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 2:14 PM, fabtey <email address hidden> wrote:
> *** This bug is a duplicate of bug 340164 ***
>    https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/340164
>
> I updated description for bug #340164 because clarification seemed
> needed.
>
>  I don't think this one to be a duplicate. I see it exactly as B. Rousseau in https://bugs.launchpad.net/gtg/+bug/339535/comments/5 .
> #340164 is about telling gtg "this is a subtask" and opening it for editing with no need to point and click.
> This one sounds like a request for giving tabs along with dashes for subtask creation.
>
> --
> Creating sub-tasks with <tab>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/339535
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of Gtg
> developers, which is the registrant for gtg.
>
> Status in Getting Things Gnome!: New
>
> Bug description:
> Today, sub-tasks can be created with the button or with a dash.
> It would be great to be able to create sub-tasks by indenting text
>

--
Bertrand Rousseau
Place communale 1, 1450 Chastre, Belgium
e-mail : <email address hidden>
tel : +32 485 96 69 86

Lionel Dricot (ploum) on 2009-03-24
Changed in gtg:
assignee: ploum → nobody
milestone: 0.2 → none
Lionel Dricot (ploum) on 2009-03-25
Changed in gtg:
importance: Low → Undecided
kokoshmusun (saribay-adil) wrote :

Entering subtasks with TAB is also what I normally expected to be able to do when I first ran GTG. The subtask button also crashes on me all the time.

Changed in gtg:
importance: Undecided → Wishlist
Changed in gtg:
status: New → Triaged
Changed in gtg:
status: Triaged → Confirmed
Izidor Matušov (izidor) on 2012-02-12
tags: added: editor
Changed in gtg:
milestone: none → 0.4
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers