Route does not fetch routes.

Bug #1385924 reported by Charles Curley on 2014-10-26
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
FoxtrotGPS
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

I just pulled in the tarball for 1.2.0, and compiled it on Debian 7.7 (Wheezy).

While trying the routing facility, I got an error message, "Oops! No Route found...". The trace to stdout looks like:

--------------------------------------------------
(foxtrotgps:8197): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_toolbar_set_icon_size: assertion `icon_size != GTK_ICON_SIZE_INVALID' failed

(foxtrotgps:8197): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_toolbar_set_icon_size: assertion `icon_size != GTK_ICON_SIZE_INVALID' failed
REPOLIST == NULL
*** on_drawingarea1_configure_event():
pixmap created
Not autocentering map due to missing gps data
Not autocentering map due to missing gps data

(foxtrotgps:8197): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_entry_set_text: assertion `GTK_IS_ENTRY (entry)' failed
do_pickpoint():
do_pickpoint():
fetch_yournavigation_track(): 43.323181, 43.171131
HTTP-GET: size: 126, statuscode 200
  OTHER XML ELEMENT: error
  OTHER XML ELEMENT: description
--------------------------------------------------

The two values are both latitudes, and likely correct. But I don't see any longitudes.

So I added a line:

--------------------------------------------------
 url = g_strdup_printf("http://www.yournavigation.org/api/dev/gosmore.php?format=gpx&flat=%s&flon=%s&tlat=%s&tlon=%s&v=motorcar&fast=1&layer=mapnik",startlatstr, startlonstr, endlatstr, endlonstr);
        printf ("%s(): %s\n", __PRETTY_FUNCTION__, url); /* C^2 */
 if (!g_thread_create(&fetch_track_thread, (void *)url, FALSE, NULL) != 0)
  g_warning("### can't create route thread\n");
--------------------------------------------------

and got:

--------------------------------------------------
(foxtrotgps:11477): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_toolbar_set_icon_size: assertion `icon_size != GTK_ICON_SIZE_INVALID' failed

(foxtrotgps:11477): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_toolbar_set_icon_size: assertion `icon_size != GTK_ICON_SIZE_INVALID' failed
REPOLIST == NULL
*** on_drawingarea1_configure_event():
pixmap created
Not autocentering map due to missing gps data
Not autocentering map due to missing gps data

(foxtrotgps:11477): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_entry_set_text: assertion `GTK_IS_ENTRY (entry)' failed
do_pickpoint():
do_pickpoint():
fetch_yournavigation_track(): 43.325176, 43.169132
fetch_yournavigation_track(): http://www.yournavigation.org/api/dev/gosmore.php?format=gpx&flat=43.325176&flon=-110.731201&tlat=43.169132&tlon=-111.016846&v=motorcar&fast=1&layer=mapnik
HTTP-GET: size: 126, statuscode 200
  OTHER XML ELEMENT: error
  OTHER XML ELEMENT: description
--------------------------------------------------

The two positions look like they are more or less correct (Hoback Junction and Alpine, Wyoming).

I then fell back to the Wheezy version of foxtrotgps, 1.1.1-2, and got the same error.

summary: - Route sends incorrect longitude to routing sites
+ Route does not fetch routes.

On Sun, 2014-10-26 at 16:57 +0000, Charles Curley wrote:

> While trying the routing facility, I got an error message, "Oops! No
> Route found...". The trace to stdout looks like:

The issue is twofold:

The yournavigation.org dev API seems to just return errors.

The yournavigation.org APIs seems to have dropped gpx output.

I've fixed both of these just now in bzr trunk:

https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~foxtrotgps-team/foxtrotgps/trunk/revision/287
https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~foxtrotgps-team/foxtrotgps/trunk/revision/288

 status fixcommitted

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Changed in foxtrotgps:
status: New → Fix Committed
Charles Curley (charlescurley) wrote :

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 21:32:58 -0000
"Paul Wise \(Debian\)" <email address hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, 2014-10-26 at 16:57 +0000, Charles Curley wrote:
>
> > While trying the routing facility, I got an error message, "Oops! No
> > Route found...". The trace to stdout looks like:
>
> The issue is twofold:
>
> The yournavigation.org dev API seems to just return errors.
>
> The yournavigation.org APIs seems to have dropped gpx output.
>
> I've fixed both of these just now in bzr trunk:
>
> https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~foxtrotgps-team/foxtrotgps/trunk/revision/287
> https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~foxtrotgps-team/foxtrotgps/trunk/revision/288
>
> status fixcommitted
>

I confirm the fix for yournavigation. openroute still fails. Thanks.

--

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers,
and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be
violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause,
supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
-- U.S. Const. Amendment IV

Key fingerprint = CE5C 6645 A45A 64E4 94C0 809C FFF6 4C48 4ECD DFDB

Paul Wise (Debian) (pabs) wrote :

On Sun, 2014-10-26 at 23:44 +0000, Charles Curley wrote:

> I confirm the fix for yournavigation. openroute still fails. Thanks.

It works for me in some cases but not others, failing with:

Position 'Start' not possible (no street in 300.0 meter). Please Check your Position

Which positions did you find errors with?

Try zooming in on the start and end before doing a route.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Charles Curley (charlescurley) wrote :

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 02:13:45 -0000
"Paul Wise \(Debian\)" <email address hidden> wrote:

> It works for me in some cases but not others, failing with:
>
> Position 'Start' not possible (no street in 300.0 meter). Please Check
> your Position

I haven't gotten that.

>
> Which positions did you find errors with?
>
> Try zooming in on the start and end before doing a route.

Good point.

I tried 43.473103,-110.746994 and 43.474350,-110.782700, using a map
scale of 14. It failed ("No route found...") for open route services,
succeeded for your navigation.

--

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers,
and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be
violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause,
supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
-- U.S. Const. Amendment IV

Key fingerprint = CE5C 6645 A45A 64E4 94C0 809C FFF6 4C48 4ECD DFDB

Paul Wise (Debian) (pabs) wrote :

On Mon, 2014-10-27 at 13:09 +0000, Charles Curley wrote:

> I haven't gotten that.

It only appears in the API response, which does not get shown in the UI.

> I tried 43.473103,-110.746994 and 43.474350,-110.782700, using a map
> scale of 14. It failed ("No route found...") for open route services,
> succeeded for your navigation.

I tried this just now and get this response from the API:

Position 'Start' not possible (no street in 300.0 meter).
Please Check your Position: -110.746994 43.473103 !

When I tried your search on the openrouteservice.org website I get this:

Message: Position 'Start' not possible (no street in 300.0 meter).
Please Check your Position: -110.7021439 43.452132 !
Notice: the Route Service is at this time only for Europe!

So at this point I think:

FoxtrotGPS is working as before for openrouteservice.org.

The openrouteservice.org folks need to improve their API to search for
further away roads/tracks etc, probably 2km would be good.

The openrouteservice.org folks need to add support for roads worldwide.

FoxtrotGPS could probably provide a hint about zooming in.

FoxtrotGPS could probably provide hints about openrouteservice.org.

FoxtrotGPS could probably provide errors from the API in the UI.

I personally don't intend to work on these issues, help welcome though.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Charles Curley (charlescurley) wrote :

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 01:42:05 -0000
"Paul Wise \(Debian\)" <email address hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, 2014-10-27 at 13:09 +0000, Charles Curley wrote:
>

> > I tried 43.473103,-110.746994 and 43.474350,-110.782700, using a map
> > scale of 14. It failed ("No route found...") for open route
> > services, succeeded for your navigation.
>
> I tried this just now and get this response from the API:
>
> Position 'Start' not possible (no street in 300.0 meter).
> Please Check your Position: -110.746994 43.473103 !

Curiouser and curiouser. I copied and pasted from your email, and got
correct routing from "your navigation". Still "no route found" from the
other.

>
> When I tried your search on the openrouteservice.org website I get
> this:
>
> Message: Position 'Start' not possible (no street in 300.0 meter).
> Please Check your Position: -110.7021439 43.452132 !
> Notice: the Route Service is at this time only for Europe!

I couldn't even get that far with my lat and long co-ordinates. "Please
set 'Start' and 'End' point first! Enter your addresses in the
textfields and press 'Set' or use rightclick to set the points on the
map."

The web site does say, "First Europe-wide ..." so perhaps a "Europe
only" note on the FoxtrotGPS widget is in order. How hard would it be
to block non-European locations. Oh, yeah: define "European" for this
purpose.

Just for the halibut, I tried those points on the "your navigation" web
site. I got a route, except that th start point is further up the
canyon on Cache Creek Drive to the east than where I set it on
FoxtrotGPS. Odd, but it worked.

>
> So at this point I think:
>
> FoxtrotGPS is working as before for openrouteservice.org.
>
> The openrouteservice.org folks need to improve their API to search for
> further away roads/tracks etc, probably 2km would be good.
>
> The openrouteservice.org folks need to add support for roads
> worldwide.
>
> FoxtrotGPS could probably provide a hint about zooming in.

That would be nice.

>
> FoxtrotGPS could probably provide hints about openrouteservice.org.

Also nice.

>
> FoxtrotGPS could probably provide errors from the API in the UI.

That would also be nice for diagnostics.

>
> I personally don't intend to work on these issues, help welcome
> though.
>

I can't right now. As you say, help welcome.

--

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers,
and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be
violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause,
supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
-- U.S. Const. Amendment IV

Key fingerprint = CE5C 6645 A45A 64E4 94C0 809C FFF6 4C48 4ECD DFDB

Charles Curley (charlescurley) wrote :

And, thanks for the work you did do. At least we know we have one
working service.

--

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers,
and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be
violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause,
supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
-- U.S. Const. Amendment IV

Key fingerprint = CE5C 6645 A45A 64E4 94C0 809C FFF6 4C48 4ECD DFDB

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers