Last 4 digits of phone number for password doesn't work with pending users

Bug #1887852 reported by Steve Callender on 2020-07-16
66
This bug affects 12 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Evergreen
Medium
Unassigned
3.4
Medium
Unassigned
3.5
Medium
Unassigned
3.6
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Tested on 3.4

The patron.password.use_phone setting that populates the password field with the last 4 digits of the phone number doesn't doesn't work when pre-populated data is loaded into the screen from pending patrons.

It looks like the actual changing of the data in the phone field is what triggers the password field to populate with the last 4 digits of the phone. When you load a pending user that has filled out their phone number, that trigger is not hit and the password is never set unless you manually go to the phone field and type something.

Maybe there can be a change here where when the screen loads, if it detects data in the phone field based on if that setting is set, to populate the password field at that time.

Steve

Dan Guarracino (dguarracino) wrote :

This also affects 3.3. We just activated self-registration, and our workaround in the few weeks we've been using it has been to ask staff users to make sure to click in the daytime phone field.

description: updated
Changed in evergreen:
status: New → Confirmed
Michele Morgan (mmorgan) on 2020-07-31
Changed in evergreen:
milestone: none → 3.6-beta
Jennifer Bruch (jbruchpails) wrote :

PaILS/SPARK 3.3.4 Just realized this also affects the Zip Code field when it is used to fill in State and County. New branch or can we roll it in? What other fields might be affected by this?

Jennifer Bruch (jbruchpails) wrote :

Okay, looks like it should be another wishlist item for the zip code field. Thanks

Changed in evergreen:
importance: Undecided → Medium
milestone: 3.6-beta → 3.6-beta2
Rogan Hamby (rogan-hamby) wrote :

Testing this patch on Firefox 81 and it's not working for me. I'm not going to mark this as needs repatch yet as it might be good for someone else to test. Firefox is pretty aggressive about caching so I"ve had issues with testing something like a regctl.js only patch but the usual tricks aren't making a difference here.

Mike Risher (mrisher) wrote :

For reference, these are the steps I needed to go through to test:

1 - enable patron self-registration
2 - show day_phone on patron registration
3 - set "Patron: password from phone #" for the relevant orgs
4 - register a patron and provide a daytime phone number
5 - In the admin interface, visit the pending patron pages and open the patron that I self-registered
6 - Note that the password field is not populated with the last 4 digits of the daytime phone number

Part of what makes the testing tricky is that there are 3 phone number fields, and it wasn't clear which one is relevant. Apparently daytime phone number is the one used.

I did 3 tests which were successful. I consent to sign off on this with my name, Mike Risher, and my email <email address hidden>

tags: added: signedoff
Mike Risher (mrisher) wrote :

Notes:

* I tested using Chrome.
* step #6 above should say "...password field _is_ populated..."

Galen Charlton (gmc) on 2020-09-30
Changed in evergreen:
milestone: 3.6-beta2 → 3.6-rc
Galen Charlton (gmc) on 2020-10-07
Changed in evergreen:
milestone: 3.6-rc → 3.6.1
Changed in evergreen:
milestone: 3.6.1 → 3.6.2
Changed in evergreen:
milestone: 3.6.2 → 3.7-beta
Changed in evergreen:
assignee: nobody → Jason Stephenson (jstephenson)
Jason Stephenson (jstephenson) wrote :

The patch does not work for me with either Chrome or Firefox. I've tried with regular and incognito/private windows and cleared the cache for my test site multiple times.

I've added the needsrepatch tag.

tags: added: needsrepatch
removed: pullrequest signedoff
Changed in evergreen:
assignee: Jason Stephenson (jstephenson) → nobody
Jason Stephenson (jstephenson) wrote :

OK! I'm taking this bug again because I made a mistake and copied the file to the wrong place and it didn't realize that until after. (I should have just done the whole install dance.)

Changed in evergreen:
assignee: nobody → Jason Stephenson (jstephenson)
tags: added: pullrequest signedoff
removed: needsrepatch
Dan Briem (dbriem) wrote :

It looks like Mike caught a mistake in my testing steps - I forgot to include that you need to set the [Patron: password from phone #] org unit setting as well. It would help if I remembered to include that given that's the feature that's being fixed! My mistake.

Changed in evergreen:
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed
Jason Stephenson (jstephenson) wrote :

It's all right, Dan. After I put regctl.js in the correct location, dealt with cache and Lovefield issues, the patch is working for me as it should.

I have pushed the fix to master, rel_3_6, and rel_3_5.

Thanks, Dan, Mike, and everyone else!

Changed in evergreen:
assignee: Jason Stephenson (jstephenson) → nobody
Changed in evergreen:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers