Web staff client: Field labels in patron registration screen are displayed untranslated

Bug #1770973 reported by Eva Cerninakova on 2018-05-13
24
This bug affects 4 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Evergreen
High
Unassigned
3.0
High
Unassigned

Bug Description

Field labels in patron registration screen are displayed as untranslated in the web staff client, even the same terms in the patron summary sidebar are translated correctly, see the attachment

According to what I found, the source of the field labels should be in "t_edit.tt2"
http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=Evergreen.git;a=blob;f=Open-ILS/src/templates/staff/circ/patron/t_edit.tt2
e.g., definition for the "barcode" label should be on line 160:
[% draw_field_label('ac', 'barcode') %]

I am not sure if there is a problem in t_edit.tt2 file or if there is some translation missing somewhere. I found the strings that are concerned in the Launchpad in the following templates: lang.dtd-cs.po
fm_IDL.dtd-cs.po

Some string, eg.g., "Barcode" I have found also in webstaff-cs.po, actor-cs.po, circ-cs.po, circ.properties-cs.po ...
"First Name" I have found also in circ-cs.po, patron.properties-cs.po, webstaff-cs.po ...

Eva Cerninakova (ece) wrote :
Bill Erickson (berick) wrote :

These fields come from the IDL. I suspect the browser client is failing to load the correct version of the IDL for the locale, at least in some cases. Investigating...

Changed in evergreen:
assignee: nobody → Bill Erickson (berick)
importance: Undecided → High
status: New → In Progress
Bill Erickson (berick) wrote :

Fix pushed:

http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=working/Evergreen.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/user/berick/lp1770973-webstaff-idl-locale

This code teaches the browser client to load the correct variation of the /IDL2js data based on the selected locale.

To test:
[1] Enable a secondary locale for the browser client (e.g. fr-CA).
[2] Modify the fr-CA IDL DTD file (/openils/var/web/opac/locale/fr-CA/fm_IDL.dtd)
[3] In the DTD, change a patron record field (e.g. "Daytime Phone").
[4] Load the browser client and choose the French (Canada) locale.
[5] Navigate to patron editor and confirm the "Daytime Phone" field shows the applied label changes.

Note, I had some problems changing locale in the browser client. Likely needs another LP. I was able to get around this by navigating to https://hostname/eg/staff/?set_eg_locale=fr_ca

Changed in evergreen:
status: In Progress → Confirmed
tags: added: pullrequest
Changed in evergreen:
milestone: none → 3.1.2
assignee: Bill Erickson (berick) → nobody
Linda Jansova (skolkova-s) wrote :

Thank you, Bill!

As to not-so-straightforward process of changing locale - there is already a bug for it: https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1560805. I have just checked whether it still persists in yesterday's master - and unfortunately have to confirm that it does.

Changed in evergreen:
milestone: 3.1.2 → 3.1.3
Changed in evergreen:
milestone: 3.1.3 → 3.1.4
Eva Cerninakova (ece) on 2018-07-26
tags: added: webstaffblocker
Eva Cerninakova (ece) wrote :

I have added the "webstaffblocker" tag. Although there are more bugs concerning untranslated parts of Evergreen, this one is a real obstacle to using the web client in production for the non-English speaking users.

Bill Erickson (berick) wrote :

As a reminder, we do have a pullrequest on this bug. We still have issues with locale switching (bug #1560805), but the issue noted in this bug should be fixed by the patch. Testers wanted!

Changed in evergreen:
milestone: 3.1.4 → 3.1.5
Eva Cerninakova (ece) wrote :

What is needed for testing? I think I could probably help.

Garry Collum (gcollum) wrote :

Learned how to set up an Evergreen instance using fr-CA this afternoon and I applied Bill's patch. Changing the strings for the patron record fields in fm_IDL.dtd does change the labels in the patron edit screen.

signedoff branch is at http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=working/Evergreen.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/user/gcollum/lp1770973-webstaff-idl-locale-signoff

tags: added: signedoff
Garry Collum (gcollum) wrote :

Bill's fix also looks like it fixes bug 1773453.

Bill Erickson (berick) wrote :

Thanks Gary, thanks Eva. I have merged the signed off commit to 3.0, 3.1, and master.

As Gary noted, this patch also resolves bug #1773453. I would not be surprised if other webstaff i18n bugs were fixed by this as well.

Changed in evergreen:
assignee: nobody → Bill Erickson (berick)
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed
assignee: Bill Erickson (berick) → nobody
Changed in evergreen:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers