Multilingual searching in the OPAC

Bug #1733695 reported by Andrea Neiman on 2017-11-21
20
This bug affects 4 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Evergreen
Wishlist
Unassigned

Bug Description

Equinox has been contracted to expand the language search options available via the OPAC. This work will allow searching of languages encoded in 008/35-37 as well as 041 a/b/d/e/f/g/m. The 041 set can be expanded via configuration to also include subfields h, j, k, and n.

This project was spearheaded by Linn-Benton Community College, and additional funding has been provided by Albany Public Library, CW MARS, Evergreen Indiana, and Sage Library System.

This development is currently in partner testing and a public branch is forthcoming.

Full functional specifications are available here: https://yeti.esilibrary.com/dev/public/techspecs/multilingual-search.pdf

Mike Rylander (mrylander) wrote :

Here is a branch implementing this functionality. From the commit message:

Previously, a multi-valued record attribute could only be extracted using one strategy (XPath, tag+subfield, fixed field, etc). For multi-valued attributes, though, there's no reason to restrict this as long as the values from various sources would, after normalization, have the same shape. So now we allow that, and we update the item_lang definition in order to allow searching for records with multiple languages in various boolean ways.

http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=working/Evergreen.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/user/miker/lp-1733695-multilingual-search

tags: added: pullrequest
Andrea Neiman (aneiman) on 2017-12-19
Changed in evergreen:
milestone: 3.next → 3.1-beta
Andrea Neiman (aneiman) on 2017-12-19
Changed in evergreen:
status: New → Confirmed
Remington Steed (rjs7) on 2018-02-23
tags: added: needsreleasenote
Kathy Lussier (klussier) on 2018-02-27
Changed in evergreen:
assignee: nobody → Kathy Lussier (klussier)
Mike Rylander (mrylander) wrote :

I've added a release note to the branch linked above.

Kathy Lussier (klussier) on 2018-02-27
tags: removed: needsreleasenote
Kathy Lussier (klussier) wrote :

Works for me! I fixed a small typo in the 1094 upgrade script and merged the changes to master for inclusion in 3.1. Thanks Mike!

Changed in evergreen:
assignee: Kathy Lussier (klussier) → nobody
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed
Kathy Lussier (klussier) wrote :

Also, many thanks to the organizations that funded this feature! I know our libraries are going to love it!

Changed in evergreen:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers