tpac translations broken in 2.9

Bug #1544606 reported by Ben Shum
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Fix Released

Bug Description

Evergreen 2.9 / master

When we merged bug 1484650 for webstaff translations, it looks like I made an error with the Makefile process. In the build/i18n/Makefile, around lines 366, we see:

        mkdir -p $(TT2_DATA_DIR)
        cp $(PO)/tpac/$(LOCALE).po $(TT2_DATA_DIR)/.
        cp $(PO)/webstaff/$(LOCALE).po $(TT2_DATA_DIR)/.

Which because the files are named the same for a given locale (like cs-CZ.po), this means we are overwriting the tpac po file with the webstaff po file during the translation process.

This leads to a situation like described on the mailing list by the Czech users (see: ) where their TPAC doesn't show any translations, because there aren't the right string matches.

The solution I think is to break up the TT2_DATA_DIR into separate entries, one for TPAC proper, and one for webstaff. Right now, it's only TT2_DATA_DIR=../../Open-ILS/src/data/locale. Perhaps those should be further subdivided to locale/tpac/* and locale/webstaff/*, or make them entirely separate defined variables. Or leave the TPAC one alone, but define the Webstaff data dir somewhere else.

Either way, we should update the included apache config examples in eg_vhost.conf. And possibly update the translations setup in documentation too, like in

Working branch to follow. Thoughts or opinions on approach?

Revision history for this message
Ben Shum (bshum) wrote :

Since this only affects the 2.9 series presently, setting that to the milestone while we work on the fix branch.

tags: added: i18n tpac
Changed in evergreen:
status: New → Confirmed
importance: Undecided → High
milestone: none → 2.9.2
Revision history for this message
Jason Stephenson (jstephenson) wrote :

I'm inclined that we should make a new directory for both the tpac and the webstaff translations. That will keep them logically separated. It will also make it easier/more obvious where translations should go if we end up adding something new, like an Angular PAC.

Also, we should keep KPAC translations in mind when working on this. Maybe they should be segregated in a similar manner? (I haven't checked if they already are or not.)

I realize that doing the above requires more configuration changes than just making a new directory for webstaff, but I still think it is the way to go.

Revision history for this message
Ben Shum (bshum) wrote :

Working branch: user/bshum/lp1544606-fix-i18n-tpac-webstaff;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/user/bshum/lp1544606-fix-i18n-tpac-webstaff

Note, this branch also contains some minor fixes for issues noted while I worked on fixing the actual problem. Separate commits in branch for extra whitespace cleanup, variable fixups, etc.

tags: added: pullrequest
Revision history for this message
Jason Stephenson (jstephenson) wrote :

Thanks, Ben!

Pushed to rel_2_9 and master.

Changed in evergreen:
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed
Changed in evergreen:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.