Build process doesn't get all translatable strings from templates

Bug #1095280 reported by Pasi Kallinen on 2013-01-02
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Evergreen
Medium
Unassigned

Bug Description

Currently the build process only gets translatable strings from Open-ILS/src/templates/opac/ and it's subdirs, and puts all those strings into tpac.pot, but there are strings that should be translatable in other templates, mainly staff client ones.

One solution would be to change TPAC_SRC=../../Open-ILS/src/templates/opac/ to TPAC_SRC=../../Open-ILS/src/templates/ in build/i18n/Makefile, but that would put all the strings into tpac.pot.

Ideally, we'd split the strings into tpac and staff client portions.

(Above ideas and solutions from discussion I had with denials on IRC)

Changed in evergreen:
status: New → Triaged
Pasi Kallinen (paxed) wrote :

There are nearly 1100 strings left out of tpac.pot, so this is quite a big problem.

Ben Shum (bshum) wrote :

Well, "staff" got added as webstaff recently because that's where we ended up with all the strings that needed translation for the web-based staff client rewrite.

However, a glance at the templates folder has me wondering if maybe we need to instrument additional PO translation files to be generated for other directories.

Like all the stuff under "acq" for sure

But also key things like circ/selfcheck (which has the TT2 based selfcheck), kpac (though I think we cheat and share the i18n file from tpac, since it bears most similarity in strings)

List of dir's:

acq, actor, booking, cat, circ, conify, kpac, marc, opac, serial, staff, url_verify, vandelay

Changed in evergreen:
status: Triaged → Confirmed
importance: Undecided → Medium
Ben Shum (bshum) wrote :

So looking at this further, and I have a question to pose... as far as the PO template files that get generated, I wondered what we should name the resulting output files for these given template folders and files that need translation.

For example, we turn out files for "tpac" from stuff under "opac", and "webstaff" for stuff from "staff".

Should we continue to use the most generic name possible, like "acq" for "acq" or should we use some alternatives? Is "acq.tt2" too confusing? Or maybe "acq.templates"?

Mike Rylander (mrylander) wrote :

I think matching the directory name is enough. "acq" and "conify", etc. As for the kpac, I'd keep that separate -- we'd use different phrasing for children, perhaps.

Ben Shum (bshum) wrote :

That works for me. I took a first stab at making this happen in the following working branch:

user/bshum/lp1095280-i18n-templates

http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=working/Evergreen.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/user/bshum/lp1095280-i18n-templates

Changed in evergreen:
milestone: none → 2.next
tags: added: pullrequest
Dan Wells (dbw2) on 2016-08-25
Changed in evergreen:
assignee: nobody → Dan Wells (dbw2)
Dan Wells (dbw2) wrote :

Looks good to me, pushed to master. Going to mark this as committed; if more are found, please reopen or post another bug. Thanks, Ben!

Changed in evergreen:
assignee: Dan Wells (dbw2) → nobody
milestone: 2.next → 2.11-beta
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed
Changed in evergreen:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers