Provide a file history feature

Bug #1044715 reported by Olivier Berger
20
This bug affects 3 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Duplicity
Fix Released
Medium
Unassigned

Bug Description

Duplicity seems to be lacking to possibility to get a history of a file (changes dates) wrt backed-up versions of the file.

It seems the only solution is to iterate list-current-files with different dates, which is very much inconvenient.

Whereas duplicity may be fine to restore a full content of a recent backup, it is less useful to restore an ancient version of a file which has been modified several times in subsequent backups.

Tags: wishlist
Revision history for this message
Olivier Berger (oberger) wrote :

Btw, this has already been discussed on the ML, for instance in : http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/duplicity-talk/2012-01/msg00001.html

Revision history for this message
jitao (jt6562) wrote :

This is a patch supported the feature.

$duplicity collection-status --file-changed c1 --archive-dir=./b/sigs file://./b
Local and Remote metadata are synchronized, no sync needed.
Last full backup date: Thu May 7 17:25:01 2015
-------------------------
File path: c1
Total number of backup: 4
 Type of backup set: Time:
                Full Thu May 7 17:25:01 2015
         Incremental Thu May 7 17:25:16 2015
         Incremental Thu May 7 17:25:24 2015
         Incremental Thu May 7 17:25:27 2015
-------------------------

Revision history for this message
jitao (jt6562) wrote :

This patch base on repo from github
repo: https://github.com/henrysher/duplicity
commitid: 208987192288d0815455707c416735783c3ae42a

Revision history for this message
Kenneth Loafman (kenneth-loafman) wrote : Re: [Bug 1044715] Re: Provide a file history feature

I got the patch applied without errors, however, running tox regression
tests yields the attached errors. mostly in restart it looks like. You can
run tox from the base directory with:

$ /usr/bin/python -u /usr/local/bin/tox -r -e py27

...Thanks,
...Ken

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 6:02 AM, jitao <email address hidden> wrote:

> This patch base on repo from github
> repo: https://github.com/henrysher/duplicity
> commitid: 208987192288d0815455707c416735783c3ae42a
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to
> Duplicity.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1044715
>
> Title:
> Provide a file history feature
>
> Status in Duplicity - Bandwidth Efficient Encrypted Backup:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> Duplicity seems to be lacking to possibility to get a history of a
> file (changes dates) wrt backed-up versions of the file.
>
> It seems the only solution is to iterate list-current-files with
> different dates, which is very much inconvenient.
>
> Whereas duplicity may be fine to restore a full content of a recent
> backup, it is less useful to restore an ancient version of a file
> which has been modified several times in subsequent backups.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/duplicity/+bug/1044715/+subscriptions
>

Revision history for this message
jitao (jt6562) wrote :

Thanks for your reply.

I fixed them, and add 'Type of file change' col

However, there are 2 testcase about test_fiinal failed. These testcase also failed in bzr repo, I don't konw why

--Tao

Revision history for this message
jitao (jt6562) wrote :

Sorry, above patch has some debug code

Revision history for this message
Kenneth Loafman (kenneth-loafman) wrote :

Thanks for the quick fix. I'll get it merged in.

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 2:58 AM, jitao <email address hidden> wrote:

> Sorry, above patch has some debug code
>
> ** Patch added: "support_single_file_history.patch"
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/duplicity/+bug/1044715/+attachment/4393437/+files/support_single_file_history.patch
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to
> Duplicity.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1044715
>
> Title:
> Provide a file history feature
>
> Status in Duplicity - Bandwidth Efficient Encrypted Backup:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> Duplicity seems to be lacking to possibility to get a history of a
> file (changes dates) wrt backed-up versions of the file.
>
> It seems the only solution is to iterate list-current-files with
> different dates, which is very much inconvenient.
>
> Whereas duplicity may be fine to restore a full content of a recent
> backup, it is less useful to restore an ancient version of a file
> which has been modified several times in subsequent backups.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/duplicity/+bug/1044715/+subscriptions
>

Changed in duplicity:
importance: Undecided → Medium
milestone: none → 0.7.03
status: New → Fix Committed
Changed in duplicity:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Revision history for this message
Kenneth Loafman (kenneth-loafman) wrote :

The feature fix provided took way too much memory to process and caused failures when the backups had thousands of changed files. It will be replaced with a rewrite of manifest file handling in 0.8-series.

Changed in duplicity:
assignee: nobody → Kenneth Loafman (kenneth-loafman)
milestone: 0.7.03 → none
status: Fix Released → In Progress
Revision history for this message
Anthony (0othan) wrote :

Hi,

This option is already available in 0.8?

Best regards

Changed in duplicity:
assignee: Kenneth Loafman (kenneth-loafman) → nobody
status: In Progress → Confirmed
importance: Medium → Undecided
Changed in duplicity:
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed
milestone: none → 0.8.12
Changed in duplicity:
status: Fix Committed → In Progress
assignee: nobody → Kenneth Loafman (kenneth-loafman)
Changed in duplicity:
importance: Undecided → Medium
Changed in duplicity:
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
assignee: Kenneth Loafman (kenneth-loafman) → nobody
Changed in duplicity:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Bug attachments