DDD

ddd emits warnings when started from command line

Bug #959664 reported by linuxar on 2012-03-19
22
This bug affects 4 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
DDD
New
Undecided
Unassigned
ddd (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

when launching ddd from terminal (Xubuntu 12.04), I receive the following:

$ddd
Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*" to type FontStruct
(Annoyed? Try 'Edit->Preferences->General->Suppress X Warnings'!)
Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-lucidatypewriter-bold-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*" to type FontStruct
Warning: Could not load font "-*-lucidatypewriter-medium-*-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*", using font "fixed" instead
Warning: Could not load font "-*-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*", using font "fixed" instead
Warning: Could not load font "-*-lucidatypewriter-bold-*-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*", using font "fixed" instead
Warning: XmStringGetNextComponent: unknown type 34384480

Warning: XmStringGetNextComponent: unknown type 34371360

Warning: XmStringGetNextComponent: unknown type 34385632

Warning: XmStringGetNextComponent: unknown type 34383520

Warning: XmStringGetNextComponent: unknown type 34386256

Warning: XmStringGetNextComponent: unknown type 34384256

Warning: XmStringGetNextComponent: unknown type 32439760

While, after selecting "Edit->Preferences->General->Suppress X Warnings", the XWarnings disappear, I still have:

$ ddd
Warning: Could not load font "-*-lucidatypewriter-medium-*-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*", using font "fixed" instead
Warning: Could not load font "-*-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*", using font "fixed" instead
Warning: Could not load font "-*-lucidatypewriter-bold-*-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*", using font "fixed" instead

linuxar (linuxar) wrote :

Somebody, please, change the package affected. The correct package is "ddd", I have no idea how I put it here (package: OpenStack Compute (nova))

affects: nova → ddd
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in ddd (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
zzarko (zzarko-gmail) wrote :

The problem is in fonts.C, function string fallbackfont(DDDFont font). Replace existing function (line 160) with this one and compile:
----------------------------------------------------------------
static string fallbackfont(DDDFont font)
{
    switch (font)
    {
    case DefaultDDDFont:
  return "-*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*";
    case VariableWidthDDDFont:
  return "-*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*";
    case FixedWidthDDDFont:
    case DataDDDFont:
  return "-*-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*";
    case SymbolDDDFont:
  return "-*-symbol-*-*-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-adobe-*";
    }

    assert(0);
    ::abort();
    return ""; // Never reached
}
----------------------------------------------------------------
Or, just replace "iso8859" in font string with "*". After this, DDD will use existing lucidatypewriter font and will not display any warnings about them.

linuxar (linuxar) wrote :

Thank you, Zzarko. I got used to those warnings, but I still think that the upstream (or the Ubuntu team) should patch either the ddd code, either the debian package to include those missing fonts.

Many thanks, Zzarko!
And there is a silent question just to myself, similar to axeoth's question:
If the largest Linux community is probably debian package based, why not ddd uses a font set supported by default...?

Well, trying to install from source is not a solution for me.
configure: error: Cannot find termcap compatible library.
This error message led to diversified suggestions found on the net. but up to now none of them was succesful. So ddd is not for simle users like me. :((

zzarko (zzarko-gmail) wrote :

If I'm not wrong, termcap is provided by ncurses package (I'm not sure). Try to install that, and to run configure again.

ragnaroknroll (ragnaroknroll) wrote :

Same problem with Linux Mint 15. Would appreciate a fix upstream.

themusicgod1 (themusicgod1) wrote :

This appears to be fixed in zesty.

themusicgod1 (themusicgod1) wrote :

...also appears to be fixed in yakkety.

Changed in ddd (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Fix Released
themusicgod1 (themusicgod1) wrote :

@linuxar : feel free to correct me if I've jumped the gun, but marking as fix released, since Yakkety has this fix.

(It might be worth pointing out though that this issue probably still exists in trusty/14.04 LTS. I do not know how to add a field to the 'affects project' for trusty.)

linuxar (linuxar) wrote :

@themusicgod1: it is ok, thanks. I don't use Yakkety now, so I cannot confirm, but it should be OK.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers