Vultr VPS - EC2 Metadata Service; does not appear to be running on Amazon EC2

Bug #1901458 reported by Iain Gillis on 2020-10-26
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
cloud-init
Medium
Unassigned

Bug Description

The message when I login to a VPS instance cloned from a previous system image:

This system is using the EC2 Metadata Service, but does not appear to be running on Amazon EC2 or one of cloud-init's known platforms that provide a EC2 Metadata service. In the future, cloud-init may stop reading metadata from the EC2 Metadata Service unless the platform can be identified.

If you are seeing this message, please file a bug against cloud-init at [url]. Make sure to include the cloud provider your instance is running on.

Iain Gillis (iainsgillis) wrote :

Apologies -- uploaded the incorrect attachment with original submission

Scott Moser (smoser) wrote :

@Lain, thanks for taking the time to file this bug.

from the collected ds-identify.log file we have

  DMI_PRODUCT_NAME=VC2
  DMI_SYS_VENDOR=Vultr

Assuming Vultr puts this DMI_SYS_VENDOR in reliably , then we can use this to
identify Vultr and squelch the warning.

Alternatively, we could add a vultr specific datasource. At first read, it
appears that vultr runs a ec2 lookalike service, but also has its own native
metadata service with 'v1' in the path..

Further reading:

  https://www.vultr.com/metadata/
  https://www.vultr.com/api/#server_create
  https://www.vultr.com/docs/getting-started-with-cloud-init
  https://discuss.vultr.com/discussion/2132/how-to-access-userdata

Changed in cloud-init:
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: New → Triaged
Scott Moser (smoser) wrote :

Well, this was good. To recap:

1. I put up a pull request to support Vultr as a "known" EC2 clone.
 https://github.com/canonical/cloud-init/pull/628

2. github users eb3095 (https://github.com/eb3095) and
ddymko (https://github.com/ddymko)
are associated with Vultr and are expecting to contribute a native
cloud-init soon.

3. I closed PR 628 to not add confusion.

4. I'm closing this issue.

Changed in cloud-init:
status: Triaged → Won't Fix

Thank you for the help in driving that through and we'll look forward to
the Vultr contribution to upstream!

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 3:40 PM Scott Moser <email address hidden>
wrote:

> Well, this was good. To recap:
>
>
> 1. I put up a pull request to support Vultr as a "known" EC2 clone.
> https://github.com/canonical/cloud-init/pull/628
>
> 2. github users eb3095 (https://github.com/eb3095) and
> ddymko (https://github.com/ddymko)
> are associated with Vultr and are expecting to contribute a native
> cloud-init soon.
>
> 3. I closed PR 628 to not add confusion.
>
> 4. I'm closing this issue.
>
>
> ** Changed in: cloud-init
> Status: Triaged => Won't Fix
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to cloud-
> init.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1901458
>
> Title:
> Vultr VPS - EC2 Metadata Service; does not appear to be running on
> Amazon EC2
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/cloud-init/+bug/1901458/+subscriptions
>

Iain Gillis (iainsgillis) wrote :

Thanks, folks. Really appreciate your work.

Sorry I don’t have more technical chops to contribute more directly.

Much obliged,
Iain

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020, at 13:47, Richard Harding wrote:
> Thank you for the help in driving that through and we'll look forward to
> the Vultr contribution to upstream!
>
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 3:40 PM Scott Moser <email address hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > Well, this was good. To recap:
> >
> >
> > 1. I put up a pull request to support Vultr as a "known" EC2 clone.
> > https://github.com/canonical/cloud-init/pull/628
> >
> > 2. github users eb3095 (https://github.com/eb3095) and
> > ddymko (https://github.com/ddymko)
> > are associated with Vultr and are expecting to contribute a native
> > cloud-init soon.
> >
> > 3. I closed PR 628 to not add confusion.
> >
> > 4. I'm closing this issue.
> >
> >
> > ** Changed in: cloud-init
> > Status: Triaged => Won't Fix
> >
> > --
> > You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to cloud-
> > init.
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1901458
> >
> > Title:
> > Vultr VPS - EC2 Metadata Service; does not appear to be running on
> > Amazon EC2
> >
> > To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/cloud-init/+bug/1901458/+subscriptions
> >
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1901458
>
> Title:
> Vultr VPS - EC2 Metadata Service; does not appear to be running on
> Amazon EC2
>
> Status in cloud-init:
> Won't Fix
>
> Bug description:
> The message when I login to a VPS instance cloned from a previous
> system image:
>
> This system is using the EC2 Metadata Service, but does not appear to
> be running on Amazon EC2 or one of cloud-init's known platforms that
> provide a EC2 Metadata service. In the future, cloud-init may stop
> reading metadata from the EC2 Metadata Service unless the platform can
> be identified.
>
> If you are seeing this message, please file a bug against cloud-init
> at [url]. Make sure to include the cloud provider your instance is
> running on.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/cloud-init/+bug/1901458/+subscriptions
>

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers