calibre: e-book management

Feature: Leave books in current location

Reported by phromo on 2011-07-14
10
This bug affects 2 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
calibre
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Calibre copies all added books to a central location and enforces a certain organization of that folder structure.

I've collected ebooks for a long time, and have a reasonable (22 gigabyte) sized collection, already organized to my liking and spread out over local drives and network drives.

I'd love to be able to organize this collection using Calibre (seems like a great software!) however, the copying of added book to a central location is really limiting my usage for now.

Thanks.

calibre's storage structure is not going to change. See
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#why-doesn-t-app-let-me-store-books-in-my-own-directory-structure

 status wontfix

Changed in calibre:
status: New → Won't Fix
phromo (phromo) wrote :

Understandable. If viewing my collection from the Calibre-superiority argument in the FAQ, I would wholeheartedly agree with you. And of course, you decide whether you want to fix it or not.

But I disagree with you about dismissing this as a non-feature. It does supply things to the software:

- Use of readonly network folders

- In my experience, software come and go. Leaving the folder structure as-is makes interoperability between Calibre and other software easier (ie, why should everyone "do as Calibre")

I'll have a go using the software with copying the books I need from my achive. If I really need this, I'll fork and submit a patch.

calibre includes a content server that gives you read only access to your book collection over the network via HTTP. And work is going on currently to add support for a full read/write networked backend to calibre, i.e. you will be able to run a server on one machine and have calibre connect to it from another.

If you want to spend time working on calibre, I suggest you contribute to these efforts, rather than trying to change the storage strategy, as I am highly unlikely to accept a patch to change the storage strategy (changing it has a lot of implications in a lot of places in calibre code).

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 04:58:30PM -0000, phromo wrote:
> Understandable. If viewing my collection from the Calibre-superiority
> argument in the FAQ, I would wholeheartedly agree with you. And of
> course, you decide whether you want to fix it or not.
>
> But I disagree with you about dismissing this as a non-feature. It does
> supply things to the software:
>
> - Use of readonly network folders
>
> - In my experience, software come and go. Leaving the folder structure
> as-is makes interoperability between Calibre and other software easier
> (ie, why should everyone "do as Calibre")
>
> I'll have a go using the software with copying the books I need from my
> achive. If I really need this, I'll fork and submit a patch.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to
> calibre.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/810527
>
> Title:
> Feature: Leave books in current location
>
> Status in calibre: e-book management:
> Won't Fix
>
> Bug description:
> Calibre copies all added books to a central location and enforces a
> certain organization of that folder structure.
>
> I've collected ebooks for a long time, and have a reasonable (22
> gigabyte) sized collection, already organized to my liking and spread
> out over local drives and network drives.
>
> I'd love to be able to organize this collection using Calibre (seems
> like a great software!) however, the copying of added book to a
> central location is really limiting my usage for now.
>
> Thanks.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/810527/+subscriptions
>
> !DSPAM:3,4e1f21f29881946117202!
>
>

--
_____________________________________

Dr. Kovid Goyal
http://www.kovidgoyal.net
http://calibre-ebook.com
_____________________________________

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers