Casing in calibre:\\ links

Bug #1907159 reported by Better Red
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
calibre
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Windows 10 calibre 5.6

I think there's a casing/hex conversion issue on library names when show-book links are copied and/or used (clicked on).

I have a library called "Authors" when I copy a show-book link I sometimes get

calibre://show-book/_hex_-617574686f7273/40

at other times I get

calibre://show-book/_hex_-417574686f7273/40

It's very confusing, yesterday the 6175… (au…) links worked, today they don't. But 4175… (Au…) links do work today.

It maybe peculiar to 'show-book', I also use calibre://search/_hex_-4d65646961?eq=6175… links to list books by author and they are working fine.

I wonder if its because the library is named "Authors" (it's new), I might change it to "Writers" or something and see what happens.

Revision history for this message
Better Red (urbanetiger) wrote :

Its not the library name, I changed it to "Writers" and still get problems

The copy book_link tool gave me "777269…" (wri…) and that worked when I put it an Authors.Link field in another library. Then I closed calibre and started it again and it didn't work. So I changed it to "477269…" (Wri…) and it did work. But I've been around this loop several times and I still can't find consistency

I tried using calibre://search links where I use show-book but I couldn't induce the same misbehaviour. The copy link gives me hex of "Writers" and that works after stopping and starting calibre. So it seems to limited to the show-book command.

Revision history for this message
Kovid Goyal (kovid) wrote :

The only way I can see this happening is if windows is sometimes returning the path to the library with lowercase and sometimes with uppercase. I will add some code to always use the actual case on the filesystem for the library id, that should take care of it. Also I dont see how it could affect one type of link and not others, they all use the same code to get library ids. If the link for show book has incorrect case when copied then so must the rest of them.

Revision history for this message
Kovid Goyal (kovid) wrote : Fixed in master

Fixed in branch master. The fix will be in the next release. calibre is usually released every alternate Friday.

 status fixreleased

Changed in calibre:
status: New → Fix Released
Revision history for this message
Better Red (urbanetiger) wrote :

As I said, it is very confusing. It surprised me too that I couldn't repeat it with calibre://search, although I didn't try too hard in fear I would only get even more confused.

When it happened again yesterday I resorted to using SQLite Browser to copy a bunch of "calibre://show-book/_hex_-77726974657273/<nnn>" lines from a text editor over the top of a bunch of
"calibre://show-book/_hex_-47726974657273/<nnn>" values in the Authors.link column.

That seems to have fixed it - I cannot imagine why. Except, it meant I could edit all the values in one step without using the Manage Authors dialogue.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers