Printing to PDF is unreadable

Bug #1905967 reported by Yegor Fadeyev
100
This bug affects 12 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
calibre
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Calibre version: 5.6.0
OS: Kubuntu 20.04

If you open the attached EPUB in the viewer, and try to print it to PDF with default options, this will produce unreadable output. The letters in the words are misplaced (see page 2).

For longer EPUBs, sometimes there is also a similar problem when running EPUB -> PDF conversion.

The attached archive contains the EPUB causing the problem and my PDF output.

Revision history for this message
Yegor Fadeyev (yegorf) wrote :
Revision history for this message
Kovid Goyal (kovid) wrote : Fixed in master

Fixed in branch master. The fix will be in the next release. calibre is usually released every alternate Friday.

 status fixreleased

Changed in calibre:
status: New → Fix Released
Revision history for this message
Yegor Fadeyev (yegorf) wrote :

Version 5.7.0 makes things a bit better, but still not perfect. I could not come up with a minimal example, so I attach a real book from my library. The paragraph text renders well most of the time (not always!), but the titles and subtitles are still messed up. I tested the conversion with DejaVu family fonts, but there are problems with all the fonts I've tried.

Changed in calibre:
status: Fix Released → New
Revision history for this message
Yegor Fadeyev (yegorf) wrote :
Revision history for this message
Yegor Fadeyev (yegorf) wrote :

You can see in-paragraph problems on pages 2 (line 2), 17 (paragraph 3, line 6), 24 (paragraph 3, line 3) etc.

Revision history for this message
Kovid Goyal (kovid) wrote : Re: calibre bug 1905967

Update to 5.7.1

 status fixreleased

Changed in calibre:
status: New → Fix Released
Revision history for this message
Max Rocchi (absolut) wrote : Re: [Bug 1905967] calibre bug 1905967

Something still not working in the 5.7.1 release....

The same file, too big to be attached... :-(

The original epub

and the .pdf conversion (different font dimension, and some missing letters)

Here the log:

Max Rocchi
www.rocchi.org

> Il giorno 11 dic 2020, alle ore 16:08, Kovid Goyal <email address hidden> ha scritto:
>
> Update to 5.7.1
>
> status fixreleased
>
> ** Changed in: calibre
> Status: New => Fix Released
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1907675).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1905967
>
> Title:
> Printing to PDF is unreadable
>
> Status in calibre:
> Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> Calibre version: 5.6.0
> OS: Kubuntu 20.04
>
> If you open the attached EPUB in the viewer, and try to print it to
> PDF with default options, this will produce unreadable output. The
> letters in the words are misplaced (see page 2).
>
> For longer EPUBs, sometimes there is also a similar problem when
> running EPUB -> PDF conversion.
>
> The attached archive contains the EPUB causing the problem and my PDF
> output.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1905967/+subscriptions

Revision history for this message
Michel Fortin (mirafort) wrote :

I concur. The scrambling is less pronounced in 5.7.1 but still there at some places. Doesn't happen in 5.5.0.
I suggest to anyone for whom a pdf conversion is important to stay with 5.5.0.

Revision history for this message
Brian Prager (bwp123) wrote : Re: [Bug 1905967] Re: Printing to PDF is unreadable

Agreed! 5.5 works like a charm for me. (PDF conversion IS important for
chapters and excerpts to give to students, and other uses where printed
form is preferable.)
Sincere thanks to all who gave this advice. It saved me.

On 12/11/2020 12:57 PM, Michel Fortin wrote:
> I concur. The scrambling is less pronounced in 5.7.1 but still there at some places. Doesn't happen in 5.5.0.
> I suggest to anyone for whom a pdf conversion is important to stay with 5.5.0.
>

Revision history for this message
Kovid Goyal (kovid) wrote : Re: calibre bug 1905967

Should be fine in the just released 5.7.2, apparently chromium has now
started generating PDF files in which the width arrays dont match the
actual glyph widths in the font. This is in contravention of the PDF
spec. I have now worked around it in calibre.

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibre/commit/e430bf331290fb788941e242481eac5906febb8a

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers